GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Obviously there is not a lot of action on this part of the forum but i figured its worth a shot...

If you scroll down a few posts you will see I did this almost four years ago and did actually go...I only found one fellow winger who went with me and we had a great time...except sleeping in a tent on the ground! Now that I have my pop up trailer....compared to my last experience, it will be heaven...

I didn't get to do 1/2 of what I wanted to but overall with the exception of the weather and a soggy tent I had a blast... And want to see all of it this time! And Lynyrd Skynyrd is performing at the buffalo chip. If you haven't been there and seen a concert you haven't seen a concert!

YES it is mostly Harley's but there are plenty of "jap bikes" there as well... AND if you are a motorcycle nut in general, like me it is well worth going... AND just PEOPLE watching...

If you have never been out there the riding is amazing and I am itchy to go again...I am not made of money and cannot see (or afford to...) spending a fortune to stay somewhere when I can sleep in my new hotel on wheels...camping is pretty cheap at the place I stayed last time and they had clean showers and food etc...
Just wondering if anyone is thinking of it for 2018? :wink2:
If you are interested contact me at [email protected]

·
Registered
907 Posts
We've been there twice. One year on our Hondas renting one of their no-nonsense camping cabins, and the other time we took a Yamaha and a Kawosachi by hauling them in our toyhauler. We enjoyed both trips without incident. We stayed both times here: http://www.creeksidesturgis.com/sturgis-rally-rates.html Close to all the action, and I'd say not out of line with Sturgis pricing anywhere else. I liked being able to get a good breakfast at the campground with little effort before setting out on our day trips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This will be my first year going. I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is all about.Granted I'll be working for the most part but I think it will be a cool experience. Any suggestions on ride routs when we get there?

·
Registered
907 Posts
This will be my first year going. I'm excited to see what all the hub bub is all about.Granted I'll be working for the most part but I think it will be a cool experience. Any suggestions on ride routs when we get there?

The usual - Spearfish Canyon scenic byway, Devil's Tower, the Wed Hulett, WY Ham N Jam(for the wilder side of things), Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Wall Drug, The Badlands, etc...

A short trip I enjoyed each visit was up 79 hwy out of Sturgis to Bear Butte State park. https://gfp.sd.gov/parks/detail/bear-butte-state-park/ I love the view from up there back down towards the Sturgis area. Seems like a brief respite of the hub bub going on below...with a bit of local indian history thrown in.

P8071077.jpg

P8091117.jpg

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I only could afford a TOY HAULER... and the the money it would take just for the fuel to get it from Massachusetts to Sturgis and back...

·
Registered
907 Posts
[singing in my best dwarf voice] "I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go.." Or "Hi. My name is Stanley Johnson, and I'm in debt up to my eyeballs." [quote from a commercial some years back - and also my long-time motto] :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have 2 runes... you can't be too poor...:grin2:

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I've been in the region twice.

The first was at the end of June a few years ago. Watching the full-scale onslaught of putting the place together in order for the rally in early August. Cruising through the motorcycle museum they have there was interesting.

The last time was this year, sailing along I-90 at oh-dawn-30 on the Friday that the rally started. :mrgreen:

I'll go back, but again, I'll bypass the rally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts