GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were gettin close to booking rooms for Sturgis 2012, been to the Rally twice, but we're considering doing the trip Pre- Rally.
1- the rooms are cheaper
2 - no big crowds

has anyone been to Sturgis before the Rally?
are the vendors set up??
I need some solid info because we are traveling w/ 6 bikes, we also want to do Beartooth Pass in Montana..

maybe some of the local yocals could help out :shrug: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have been through Sturgis a number of times. Unless the rally is going, Sturgis is really not much more than a ghost town.

Ok that is an exaggeration, but there is not much going on pre or post rally. Just another empty small town.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been through Sturgis a number of times. Unless the rally is going, Sturgis is really not much more than a ghost town.

Ok that is an exaggeration, but there is not much going on pre or post rally. Just another empty small town.

and NO the venders are NOT set up

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
We went in June '05 and didn't have trouble finding places in Custer and Deadwood to stay. Sturgis was empty, as were the roads, which was great for us.

·
Registered
999 Posts
We were there in June and it was wonderfully quiet! The shirt shops are open with all the current models. Sturgis is kind of a dumpy town that had no appeal to us but we did stay in Deadwood for 3 nights and had a blast. If you are going for the riding DO NOT go during the rally, if you are going to truly enjoy the roads consider going in June -- the area is drop dead gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
as others above have posted, Sturgis without the Rally is almost dead. Deadwood and the area just south of Sturgis on the other hand is active with tourisim and not real crowded. Custer, Deadwood, Keystone, Needles, Mt Rushmore are just a few of the places to visit.

*** Someone suggested June, if your going to Bearthooth, be careful on the dates. We were on the Beartooth June 27th & 28th. It had just opened, still lots of snow melt and a lot of road consturciton. (Here in Texas we are in a drought, they had one of the largest and latest snowfalls on record.

If your considering Yosimite, you need to go through Cody just to see it but we like staying in Cooke City, just 6 miles from the NE gate and becasue you have to go over Chief Joseph or Beartooth to get there, the traffic is at a minimum.

NOTE: Beartooth was closed for snow in early June last year (it had been open then was closed again for a blizzard that blew through.

Below is from 2010
Sturgis; June 11th, these were the only (2) wheel vehicles besides us in Sturgis

Deadwood, quite, picked up a little after dark, we stayed there from June 11th untill the 13th

Keystone- we like this a little better than Deadwood, will stay here the next time we are that way

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
were planning on being in Sturgis for July 29th, the week before the Rally.
so far we're up in the air re: Bear Tooth Pass :shrug: depends, if we do all the sites in the Hills & have time to spare :shrug: then we'll go to Bear Tooth.
we do all the rides & visit all the towns while we're there, the Hills are great, & I personally like staying in Spearfish :thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think if you want to see some of the rally crowd/people, the week before is ok. As someone who stuck around post-rally, I'll tell you that the area is empty within a day of the rally being over. Kind'a like a bad hangover that impacts the whole area.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Were gettin close to booking rooms for Sturgis 2012, been to the Rally twice, but we're considering doing the trip Pre- Rally.
1- the rooms are cheaper
2 - no big crowds

has anyone been to Sturgis before the Rally?
are the vendors set up??
I need some solid info because we are traveling w/ 6 bikes, we also want to do Beartooth Pass in Montana..

maybe some of the local yocals could help out :shrug: :thumbup:
I went out in 08 two weeks before the rally and stayed in Custer,SD for three days just to ride the roads and see the sites without the crowds. Was there in 06 during the rally and just to many beans....human being that is.

·
Registered
905 Posts
were planning on being in Sturgis for July 29th, the week before the Rally.
so far we're up in the air re: Bear Tooth Pass :shrug: depends, if we do all the sites in the Hills & have time to spare :shrug: then we'll go to Bear Tooth.
we do all the rides & visit all the towns while we're there, the Hills are great, & I personally like staying in Spearfish :thumbup:

If you miss the Beartooth .. you've missed one of the best roads in America !

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you are that close to Beartooth I would not miss it !! I thought that was better than all of the attractions around there. It is one of the best roads I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some but not all vendors will be set up the week before the rally starts. Souvenir prices are higher before things start too because they expect to sell everything they bring but will drop a lot the last day and later for those staying to finish selling their items..............

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've been up there at least twice a month before the rally and enjoyed WAAAY traffic and hassle at gas & food stops, not to mention rides & attractions not as crowded.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to give you guys an example, I got a room quote from a major hotel & the room rates are $275 a nite during the rally & $109 the week before, :22yikes::eek:
that is a $1000.00 difference :eek::eek::thumbup::wrong: for 6 nites..
now you know why I'm going the week prior to..

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
If you want a $26 t-shirt, go before or during the rally.

If you want the $5 t-shirt, go after the rally.

Rapid City has plenty of cheap motels, and it is mighty close to the nice roads.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
<...pix deleted...>
Sturgis; June 11th, these were the only (2) wheel vehicles besides us in Sturgis
So, we were there the following weekend, and the place was packed with Cushman's...they had their own rally then. Pretty cool seeing them all fixed up.

Keystone- we like this a little better than Deadwood, will stay here the next time we are that way.
Stayed in Rapid City, but, as it was our first time in the area in 2010, we would definitely consider staying there in Keystone as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Went last year and stayed at a place in Hill City. Based on recomendations from locals we caught the last weekend of the rally and stayed for 3 more days to ride the area. Worked out great, folks seem to beat a hasty retreat after the rally is over plus our room rates went way down. According to the owners of the place we stayed there seems to be a trend to come early and it's almost as busy as rally week.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Loren
we stay in Spearfish, I like that town, has everything you need..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts