GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here in NY gone out to Sturgis? I'm toying with the idea for next year and was wondering if anyone has done it and can provide some insight.

One of the things on my "bucket list" is Sturgis, so at some point I'm going to go there just to "see" what it's all about. I've heard good and bad things but don't really care, I'm going at some point.

Better yet, is anyone planning to go there this year, I might tag along with you.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I went there after Cats-Cade 2009 ...

The Black Hills are AWESOME.
I got there a week before Sturgis and
had the "hills" all to myself...
I'd like to spend a couple of weeks there..
... some of the best riding in the country.

After Stugis started, the "hills" riding was ruined
... unless you love traffic jams and scary (skill wise) riders.

Sturgis itself was ok .. downtown was
kind of like BikeWeek but more "hollywood"
.... fewer radical choppers and more custom ridable twins,
.. but still nice to look at.

I don't know how old you are or what your likes and dislikes are ..
... I say I got there a week early but about 40 years too late
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how old you are or what your likes and dislikes are ..
... I say I got there a week early but about 40 years too late
:)

Dennis
Dennis thanks, I might be in the same boat.............I'm 52! Just something I've always wanted to experience. My son owns a bike and is thinking about trucking it up for the week from Kansas, so it would be fun with him, he's in the USAF and young enough to enjoy the frenzy......I'd be in bed by 10 but again, something I want to see before I kick the bucket!:thumbup:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I like to go a week early or after. The week earlier is nice to get your riding in and stay for a day or two and move on. They have some great bands at the Chip but I dont stay there. I like to stay about 5 mins out of Keystone.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Going to Sturgis for the first time

I just got my new "09" Goldwing and my son and I are going to do this run. My son has a VTX 1300 and will be leaving from So Cal to Las Vegas and I will leave from Yuma, AZ and meet him in LV. Start on the 7th and stop in Salt lake over night, then on to the Buffalo Chip for the three night stay, 8th, 9th, 10th and then leave the 11th to go south through Denver, Albuquerque, Flagstaff, and then home somehow. If anyone out there wants to ride with us just e-mail me [email protected] or look for the yellow GW and Silver VTX.
:doorag:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I will echo what has been said. Lots of traffic. Be prepared for weather extremes! When we went we had 3 straight days of over 100*. Next day it didn't get above 60*. They tend to get hail, and the big stuff now and then. Lots of flesh to be seen. The Chip not only has top bands, butt a naked parade every night. Beware some in the parade will burn an imprint in your eyeballs. :eek:4: We stayed in Hill City. A great place to stay. Away from all the madness. The most awesome riding you will ever do! Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
On my bucket list also. Retiring in Feb '12 so I will most likely be riding out this year. Wife is not interested so I think I will ride out spen a day or 2 then have her fly out and tour until we get sick of riding.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Has anyone here in NY gone out to Sturgis? I'm toying with the idea for next year and was wondering if anyone has done it and can provide some insight.

One of the things on my "bucket list" is Sturgis, so at some point I'm going to go there just to "see" what it's all about. I've heard good and bad things but don't really care, I'm going at some point.
Just go! I don't know what you're in to, but there is a lot to do and see in and around Sturgis. We stayed in Leeds when we went and mostly avoided the crowds during the week. Bike traffic is s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w during the week. I'd advise you to go early, see the town and then go out and do the peripheral stuff as the crowds grow in Sturgis. You will have plenty of company almost anywhere you go. There is all of the requisite bike stuff going on at the rally and races (vendors, demo rides, eye candy, bands, bars, drag races and bikes).

I took my wife and daughter with me the first time (wife rode her Honda Shadow) and we consequently had a more tame trip :)

Ride Spearfish Canyon, Needles Highway, see Custer State Park, Wounded Knee, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse Monument. Deadwood has a lot of old west history. Be sure to go the the No. 8 Saloon where Billy The Kid was shot. Leeds has a gold mine. We went to a powwow in Pine Ridge instead of Devil's Tower. We found out about it while riding around in the Bad Lands. The Harley Davidson Dealer in Rapid City had open pits for oil changes (yes, I was on my Goldwing). It was one of my most memorable trips.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will echo what has been said. Lots of traffic. Be prepared for weather extremes! When we went we had 3 straight days of over 100*. Next day it didn't get above 60*. They tend to get hail, and the big stuff now and then. Lots of flesh to be seen. The Chip not only has top bands, butt a naked parade every night. Beware some in the parade will burn an imprint in your eyeballs. :eek:4: We stayed in Hill City. A great place to stay. Away from all the madness. The most awesome riding you will ever do! Tom :doorag:
Huh huh. Huh huh. You said Hill City. Did you see the City of Hill City City Hall?
One more thing, I came across a fish farm out there somewhere. Stopped in and caught a fish. They cleaned and served it with all the trimmings in about 15 minutes if you like fresh fish.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm heading out there this year, anyone from NY going? Be nice to hook up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Planning on it. Are you still still looking at leaving on Thursday.At this point we're still planning on departing on Friday morning. Nyjerry

·
Registered
314 Posts
I made my reservations yesterday. You mentioned that your son is in the Air Force - I'm staying at the fam camp at Ellsworth AFB (they have lodging also and its easier for an active duty member to get a reservation there) I'm heading out from central Jersey, my 1st trip to Sturgis also. Its been on the bucket list for a while and keeps getting postponed, but this is the year. I enjoy camping, plan is to spend a week getting there, a week riding and seeing the sites there, and a week to ride back - all on backroads. I figure I'll just camp wherever I end up each day while traveling - I'll have a goal to not use any hotels. If I'll offered a barn or garage along the way, I'll take it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Planning on it. Are you still still looking at leaving on Thursday.At this point we're still planning on departing on Friday morning. Nyjerry
Nothing is set in stone yet so the "date" is still up in the air but will be either Thursday or Friday as it gets closer I'll let you know what we decide. Are you riding 90 out?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made my reservations yesterday. You mentioned that your son is in the Air Force - I'm staying at the fam camp at Ellsworth AFB (they have lodging also and its easier for an active duty member to get a reservation there) I'm heading out from central Jersey, my 1st trip to Sturgis also. Its been on the bucket list for a while and keeps getting postponed, but this is the year. I enjoy camping, plan is to spend a week getting there, a week riding and seeing the sites there, and a week to ride back - all on backroads. I figure I'll just camp wherever I end up each day while traveling - I'll have a goal to not use any hotels. If I'll offered a barn or garage along the way, I'll take it.
Are you active duty? How'd you get a reservation at Ellsworth?

I live just west of Rochester, when are you planning to start the ride out. I've teamed up with a member from this board from Maine, "jerrieric", he's riding down here and we're leaving from my house, you interested in some other company during the ride? We're not camping but that shouldn't stop us from at least meeting somewhere, ride, cup of coffee, etc.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm retired USMC. The military campgrounds are very nice - highly recommend them. I really don't have a route planned, but I do have maps from each state, trying to use as many back roads as possible (I'm low tech, no gps and really don't care how lost I get each day - just so the final destination is sturgis). I don't mind company at all - my start date is somewhere around the 27th or 28th I think - without reservations on the trip out I can ride as little or as much as I want. Staying at the base guarantees you a hot shower and nobody messes with your gear while out riding. I will be about 30-40 miles from all the action in sturgis. I will venture into sturgis for a show and to see the wild side, but I want to ride in the mornings before crowds and heat get to much. I paid $200 for the 10 nights, don't know if I'll use them all, but I have them if needed. I just looked at the receipt they emailed me - they made a mistake, I'll have to call them on Tue and straighten it out. It should only be $8 a night/$40 wk for a tent site - they saved a reservation on me for a rv site. Maybe , I just park my motorcycle on the concrete slab.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just drove out here, superslabbed the car all the way to see my son and his family at Fairchild AFB in Spokane.

Stopped in Badlands, Rapid City, Sturgis etc, not a bad drive but that slab is going to get really old, really quickly. Not much all the way through Iowa! Roads south of Chicago on 90 suck, pot holes, construction you name it but there isn't a lot of choice until you pass Joliet Illinois.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts