GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any other board member's were planning on attending the Sturgis rally this year. Myself and 3 friend's are going, but we're going a week before the rally and leaving the day it officially start's, the 8th. 2 of them have never been. I've been many time's, but this will be the first time on anything other than a Harley. IMO, it's some of the best riding in the country.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Can't wait to see the responses to this.:lol:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I went 3 years ago - same time frame as you're doing. Many of the vendors are already set up the week before, and the riding is FAR less crowded. We stayed in Rapid City and the ride to Sturgis and all the sights was not a problem.

My friend and I were both on Hondas and did not experience any issues with the HD crowd.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went 3 years ago - same time frame as you're doing. Many of the vendors are already set up the week before, and the riding is FAR less crowded. We stayed in Rapid City and the ride to Sturgis and all the sights was not a problem.

My friend and I were both on Hondas and did not experience any issues with the HD crowd.
Fred, seem's a lot of folk's go a little early so they can ride less crowded road's. I've taken friend's there on many different make's of bike's. And like you, never had any issue's at all. We're staying in Hill City this time. Just down the road from Crazy Horse, and Rushmore.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Just wondering if any other board member's were planning on attending the Sturgis rally this year. Myself and 3 friend's are going, but we're going a week before the rally and leaving the day it officially start's, the 8th. 2 of them have never been. I've been many time's, but this will be the first time on anything other than a Harley. IMO, it's some of the best riding in the country.
I'm working on it....We will miss, if I can make it work it will be a quick 2nd weekend ride, ride up one day, buy the t-shirt, have a Coke and burger, say hi to the Presidents, and ride home.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I went there after our daughter got married in '01 simply because I had not been in South Dakota that was the last of the 50 states for me. We went in a cage wasn't aware it was bike week until the plans were made. I have no intentions of going back near bike week wouldn't mind going and riding without all the bikes. BTW I never saw anything remotely offensive just way too many people crammed into the area. That probably comes from being from a small town and never living near a big city.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Last year I was there for a day right in the middle of the event. I parked in an area across from a church just off the downtown. The folks there were great and I paid them double since I was pulling my Escapade. The kid at first didn't want to take it but I told him since I was twice as long as any other bike then I should pay for two spaces. He hesitated but then I told him to just take the extra as a tip instead so he accepted it. They even left plenty of escape room around me so I would not have any problem getting out of the lot. I saw lots of Wings and trikes and never had any problem at all being a Winger in a very much HD event. I found the bigger and meaner looking the biker the nicer they were. Not a problem. Sure there were lots of bikes but they all flow in and out pretty well. The thing I noticed the most was the CONSTANT rumbling. I found a great spot in the shade on the lawn of the police station to sit and people watch. While I was there (2 hours) I had a great view of the very end of the street where bikes were going in and out. I was able to calculate that at any moment in time there were at least 150 bikes in motion in the downtown area. It was constant motion and was quite a sight. Granted, I was only there for the day but the crowds were very tolerable. I can't imagine spending a week there but a few days I would do.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I'd like to go once, just so I can say "I've been in the Sturgis Rally"....problem is I don't want to go bad enuff.

Like others, if I ever head up there, it will be the week before the rally. Don't really feel like puttin up with the hustle/bustle and noise of 750,000 people.

2,732 Posts
sturgis is sturgis

"Sturgis" is loud bikes, dressed up cartoon characters and scantly clad gals and very hot miserable weather. Everybody probably should go once I suppose. But once is enough for me. I'm not a prude and I did see some really interesting people. I'm a diehard people watcher. But for my money, I'd much rather go to Wing Ding and connect with people who are more like me. Besides watching 100's of Goldwings is 100's times more interesting then having your hearing shattered by loud illegal mufflers constantly. The ride to Sturgis from Colorado was infinately more enjoyable than the actual visit to the place. I was amazed at how "tough" some of the guys acted.......what a charade!!

Just answering your initial question about whether I was going or not (you did ask me) so don't miss take what I'm saying. Free will and all...................

·
Registered
375 Posts
We are not going but have been there many of times and always enjoyed my stay. It is actually sort of fun watching some of the show offs and I don't mind some of the scantily clad ladies either.

We have been there on a Goldwing and HD's and it sure did not seem like anyone really cared what you was on they was all just having fun.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I went last year and had a great time. I plan to go again but I have other trips planned for this year. I will go back though.

Have a great time! :thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have been twice and loved it. I will go back again soon. You get in the spirit of things and just have fun with the rest of the crazies. :22yikes:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I agree, it iss some of the best riding in the country
.. if... you get there early like you are.
I did the same thing (but did stay for the event too).

I tell people,
"I got there a week early,
but thirty years too late".

:)

hope you have a great time...

Dennis

·
Registered
719 Posts
I will be going with some friends for my first time this year. Don't know if it will be repeated yet, but, I am going at least once.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I went through there last year on my way back from a loop out West. It's not really a zoo but I'm just not much on standing in, waiting in and riding in large, slow-moving lines nor price gouging. Every open flat spot in the area is a motorcycle parking lot and the roads are clogged with bikes. The local cages get tired of waiting at an intersection for a break in the bike flow so they tend to make their own hole in traffic. In a matter of the 6 hours I was in the area, two times, I sat in dead traffic for over an hour waiting on a ambulance to come scoop up a downed rider due to local cages. There are many seasoned riders in the area but there are almost as many that have no business on a bike in a heavily congested area.

For me, it involves everything about motorcycling...but riding. I just don't get much out of standing around reminiscing with people I've never met before or will ever see again. Once you've seen one tire burn-out, you've seen them all. I'm happy for those that love it and wait all year for it but I'd rather be rolling. Of my buddies that are die-hard Sturgis guys, they seem to get as much out of the trip up there and back as they do the actual event. Typically, that is the only long trip they make in a year's time and the balance of the year, they are talking about the last trip and getting ready for the next trip...to Harley Mecca. These middle-aged and older people are going through what I went through in the 70's.

Coming into Sturgis from the West, it was unbelievable the number of bikes on the road going to or returning from Sturgis not to mention the bikes in the immediate area. Also,its amazing how many $450,000 RVs you see towing bike trailers to the neighboring towns and then, riding their bikes the last few miles into Sturgis.

It is a spectacle to see, for sure and is a prime example of a faithful following. Everyone should go at least once.

Z

·
Registered
427 Posts
In Sturgis last year. When the B1 buzzed us, the ground shook and the sound drowned out even the Harleys. Great Time.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Pure coincidence, I promise, but I'm going through there on August 10 as a part of '4-Paws USA Tour' (www.4pawstour.com) going to all four corners of the country. I might stop for while and see if anyone wants to donate for a tour T-shirt, but I don't plan on staying... I'm sure all the rooms anywhere near there are already booked up anyway.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Rad,
Again,, this is a very cool thing you are doing in regards to your ride... Too bad while you are passing through Sturgis you couldnt get each person there to donate you $1 instead of buying one can of beer there that day...:)
Good luck on your Journey. You will see some cool sites traveling across the states,,and will be a much more rewarding travel ,than the clientel' that will be at Sturgis,travel will be ,I would guess!
Ride Safe!

take care,
bc

·
Registered
958 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts