GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pretty much convinced myself that '04 is going to be my first trip to Sturgis..that is if I can put it together.

I'm looking for advice from you more experienced rally attendees as to where I might still get a reasonable room, and where I should look to try and get one as far as towns, etc.

Any other advice on what to do/see will be appreciated.

Thanks

OzarksF6

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I went this year for the first time with a group of Harley riders.

They had been going for years and they stay in the Dorm Rooms at the Black Hills State University campus in Spearfish. It's about 30 miles or so from the Rally itself and it was affordable and comfortable. You reserve the rooms for a block of days (5 or 9 days is the standard) for $300 or $500, respectively. You can find more information at: http://www.bhsu.edu/studentlife/residencelife/rallyhousing/

I had a great time and found everyone was very tolerant of the lone GW in the group.

I hope to go again next year - there's some great rides in that area of the country. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
That part of the country sure is pretty. I went to Sturgis this year, but I did it in June. I'm not into big crowds and crowded roads. The Black Hills and surrounding area are wonderful to ride.

A few of my friends thought I was a little nuts though when I told them I was going to ride to Sturgis for lunch. I live in Boulder, CO. When I came back the next day wearing a Sturgis t-shirt (I was surprised to see those folks printing up the current years rally at that point) they believed me. They knew I was nuts when I mentioned that I left at 4:00AM. ;-)

·
Registered
20,986 Posts
I carry a tent and sleepingbag, last year I paid $12 a day at the IRONHORSE CAMPGROUND,they had decent showers and were only 3 miles from downtown. If your interested let me know and I should be able to find thier email address and phone#. Most of the gas stations and bussinesses in the area will be passing out nice maps showing many of the area atractions. Custer park and Needles highway are pretty neat,Mt Rushmore , Spearfish Canyon,Devils Tower are all good but there will be a lot of motorcycle traffic and some are idiots so becarefull. :yw1:

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Rapid City, Nice but about $250 a night with Tax. If you can stay closer to the action it would be better IMO. The ride back to RC got a little long.

GREAT TIME :D :D :D
We did two, to a room, that helped the pocketbook.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts