GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flew into Denver yesterday and will be renting a motorcycle and taking a day or two to ride sometime during the week. I usually ride around 200 to 225 miles a day when taking my time and looking at the sights.

I was wondering what rides some of you guys from the Denver might suggest. I've traveled 70 into Dillon and Summit County in the past and was wondering what non interstate roads would be fun.This is what I was thinking but I don't know the roads.

1. Head up to Golden and pick up CO 46 west
  2. West on CO 119 which becomes the Peak to Peak Highway
  3. West on CO 72 in Nederland (part of the Peak to Peak HW
  4. North on CO 7
  5. West on US 34 in Estes Park (Trail Ridge Rd)
  6. East on US 40 in Granby through Winterpark
  7. Then E on I70 back to Denver
This is about a 220 mile ride with about 25 miles of it on interstate.

I was wondering if this was a pretty good ride and if someone could suggest another ride.

THANKS beforehand for any help or suggestions!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Thoughts

Ride Rocky Mtn Park Loop
Ride over to Steamboat Springs
Doing an Aspen Loop may be a bit long for you

Just did all 3 out of Dillon. Cant miss.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll do a thousand miles in a day but NOT when I'm taking it easy and stopping at just about every overlook! It's like guys riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and never stopping. What's the point other than to let folks know you ain't too smart.:p

Zipping up to Steamboat Springs and back to Denver is dam near 350 miles with almost half of it on I70. NO THANKS!

I think the ride I mapped out may be close to your "Rocky Mtn Park Loop".

I'm not quite sure what your "Aspen Loop" is from Denver.

THANKS for your suggestions. I think circling the Rocky Mountain Park might really be nice. I know it will be a "bit chilly" when I get up around 12,000 feet! Again thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've done that exact same route last month. It's fabulous.. it's all quality riding. I would suggest you add the Golden Gate Canyon on your way to the Peak to Peak highway.

Rocky Mountain National park will cost you $10 and it's good for a week. Coming back through Winter Park and riding Berthoud Pass was a highlight for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Flew into Denver yesterday and will be renting a motorcycle and taking a day or two to ride sometime during the week. I usually ride around 200 to 225 miles a day when taking my time and looking at the sights.

I was wondering what rides some of you guys from the Denver might suggest. I've traveled 70 into Dillon and Summit County in the past and was wondering what non interstate roads would be fun.This is what I was thinking but I don't know the roads.

1. Head up to Golden and pick up CO 46 west
  2. West on CO 119 which becomes the Peak to Peak Highway
  3. West on CO 72 in Nederland (part of the Peak to Peak HW
  4. North on CO 7
  5. West on US 34 in Estes Park (Trail Ridge Rd)
  6. East on US 40 in Granby through Winterpark
  7. Then E on I70 back to Denver
This is about a 220 mile ride with about 25 miles of it on interstate.

I was wondering if this was a pretty good ride and if someone could suggest another ride.

THANKS beforehand for any help or suggestions!
A fine ride, I've done it. Have some warm layers, and check the weather before heading out, you can get snow on Trail Ridge at any time now. BTW, 46 is the Golden Gate Canyon road.

If you go for two days, the Steamboat Springs idea is worth considering. As you know I-70 is very scenic, and there's a variety of ways to go up and back. My favorite is actually to head farther west on 70, and take 131 up. Great riding, nice scenery, very little traffic. The route through Walden is worth considering, especially if there's a little snow on the very highest roads. 14 through the canyon west of Fort Collins is also a fine road. It is somewhat flat around Walden.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Denver ride

We rode that same route over the 4th of july it was great. Also if you are over i believe 62 you can get a life time pass for 10.00. Have a safe ride

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ride to Bergen Park and follow Squaw Pass to Echo Lake at the bass of Mt Evans. Weather permiting the ride up to the summit of Mt Evans is great. Head down the mountain to I70 and go over Berthod pas to Winter Park. A real good day ride.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hollow Road Rider,

Just send me your email address by private message to me and I'll email you this ride. I just developed it sitting in my hotel room looking at Google Maps. I'll send it to you on Google Maps.

Mingo,

I am pretty sure my original ride takes me through Golden Gate Canyon on CO 46 west. Please let me know if I'm wrong or should change my route a little.

And again, MANY thanks to you all for helping me out with a day ride out of Denver. Man, Denver is FLAT!!! But my son just picked up his two season ticket sets to the Broncos games so tomorrow night the game against the Raiders should bring a lot of excitement to the Mile High (flat) City!!

But I can't wait to head out to the mountains! Just hope I can get away.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yello10, read your post and am interested in your route if you don't mind sharing with others. Am planning a trip in that direction for next spring. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Watch those pull-offs. Most are gravel with little room between pavement and "OMG"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts