GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
First of all I am addicted to your darn site. I check it at least once a day. Thanks a bunch for putting with with the crap and crap throwers. Thanks for the efforts to keep it up and running.

Now, my suggestion: I would like to see it mandatory to fill out the following catagories under "Profile" before anyone can post:

Do you actually own an 1800? (yes or no)

Plus add this one:

Your real name:

Yes, I know some would lie; most would not. It just seems like it might cut down on the crap thrown, if everyone knew where it was coming from.

Is it possible to verify the info one puts down?

Thanks for the consideration..

Paul Crowder

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Trailsman, I did have my full name and town listed then one of favorite trolls BLK04WING got crossways with me for not wanting to listen to the crap he was spewing and decided to post my phone number as a 24-7 Honda tech support line on some other forums. Not really a big issue to me and never had to help anyone with their problems, but would open you up to such foolishness.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
If he had to post his real name and location he'd be less likely to spew. By the same token, others would be less likely argue back. Maybe. But if they did at least neither is hiding behind a screen name in anonymity.

I like the idea but I don't see how it could be enforced.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I wouldn't mind if only Lamont had access to it....

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I don't have a problem with my name being displayed so I added it to my signature line. I treat everyone with respect as I want to be treated.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Adding the personal information to the registration would be a good idea. I especially like the idea of answering if you own a GL1800 or not (maybe color code the names).

Getting your log-in could then be made into a two-step process. Initially you would be e-mailed a temporary pass-word (good only for 2 weeks) with a follow-up permanent (changeable under your account) password mailed to you on a postcard.

Of course, you'd want the personal info only available to the system administrators, but taking away people's anonymity would greatly reduce the amount of crap that gets posted.

Its kind of like a lock. If someone wants your stuff bad enough, they're going to break in and take it. But if all they want to do is break in someplace, and your lock is a little bit better than your neighbors...

·
Registered
547 Posts
The trouble makers you're trying to target are the ones that will lie on their registration. The honest, respectable, respectful people aren't the problem.
I'm a member of a Ford Diesel Truck forum where my cell phone number, email address, address, etc., is available to over 50,000 members, without a single abuse of that information over the past five years.
For some reason, this forum seems to attract some undesirables. I never was a big fan of the OTB forum, but I think that attracted a different "slice of Americana". I know the moderator has stated that there will be zero tolerance of off topic posts, but if it were enforced more strictly I think it would cut down on the trolls, too.
Flame suit on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
trailsman,

Just because the data would be a requirement who's to police that the data is in fact truthful data? It's unfortunate that some people do NOT have a life and they need to get their kicks by inane posts and starting flame wars annonymously. It's the lack of character that IMHO is the cause of this. Good Idea hard to execute!

FF

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Silverback said:
I know the moderator has stated that there will be zero tolerance of off topic posts, ...
I think you should re-read what the moderator said...

No there won't be "Zero Tolerance" for off topic post on this board but ...
What cuts down on trolls is lack of people who feed them. They thrive on attention. People should just ignore them.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
katchunk said:
Why should it be mandatory to know my occupation? :? Just curious.
Well, what if your profession is $h!t disturber, pig farmer or cutting up bodies and burying them in your back yard. I would dearly like to know that before I associate with you! :twisted:

If you are, I have some bodies in overflow bags I need to get rid of real quick, they are starting to smell ...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I have never read, or posted on another board. In fact, until this GFunk guy, I had never heard of a "troll". I am still amazed that anyone would get on a board just to anger folks. That's mind boggling. If it would help, I would have no problem with LaMonte having info.

On the OTB, there was alot of heated comments, but they pertained to politics. I don't think anyone on there was just stirring the pot. In fact, even as adversaries, we pretty well knew each other.

·
Registered
624 Posts
salyzyn said:
katchunk said:
Why should it be mandatory to know my occupation? :? Just curious.
Well, what if your profession is $h!t disturber, pig farmer or cutting up bodies and burying them in your back yard. I would dearly like to know that before I associate with you! :twisted:

If you are, I have some bodies in overflow bags I need to get rid of real quick, they are starting to smell ...
What you got against pig farmers?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Ya want to really get rid of the trolls?????????????????

charge everyone 5 bucks to be a member. the trolls will go some were else, cause they are cheap to argue over 5 bucks :roll: :lol:

As far as LaMont knowing who I am.......to late :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
547 Posts
The idea of charging money to be a member is a good one, but it has one drawback: currently we're guests on this forum, so there's an obligation to live by the rules set forth by Hal and LaMont. If we were paying customers, some would think they have a right to be here. It's not a right, it's a privilege.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I think you have some good ideas, but at the same time...things get kinda hairy when people get mad.

IE...my occupation is listed below. I dont consider myself a 'teacher' per se, but a professional and a professional educator. That title alone has caused me much grief on here when I make comments about this or that or even ask questions. Lots of people are quick to say "what kind of teacher are you' or 'Im glad you arent my childs teacher'...etc. People go from razzing each other to making outright put downs and insults on here just because of a post.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Silverback said:
The idea of charging money to be a member is a good one, but it has one drawback: currently we're guests on this forum, so there's an obligation to live by the rules set forth by Hal and LaMont. If we were paying customers, some would think they have a right to be here. It's not a right, it's a privilege.
good point! but if you pay money, you agree to certain rules and a code-of-conduct. If you go beyond the rules you get booted and loose all your privileges.........and 5 bucks :lol:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I think there is some merit - within reason. I would welcome having to give the owners of the forum more personal information, but I think there is a line to what I would want to be made public. I have no problem with people knowing my name, but don't really care to have them be able to track me down without going through the owner of the forum (for legit reasons).

As far as occupation, I've been in sales and sales management (at a professional level) all my life. I'm responsible for sales to my company's largest customer (and we are a Fortune 500 company). But I think people knowing I'm in sales might make them question my credibilty, so please don't tell anyone. :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts