GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl and I are thinking about running from Jacksonville down to the keys for the July 4 weekend. If I can pull it off, we'll head down Friday evening and come back Monday evening. My knowledge of the keys is that it's quite a bit south of here, and that's about it...

If anyone that knows the area has any suggestions of how we might spend our time there, or where we might go, I'd love to hear them.

We're probably going to be looking to stay at a Holiday Inn because I have so many Priority Club points. Also, try as I might, she's probably not going to be interested in any fishing activities.

Thanks in advance,
Allan

·
Registered
137 Posts
There is a ship wreck museum in Key West that is a must see. They salvaged an old ship that was full of gold and there is lots of the gold on display. Very interesting.

All the bars are a great visit at night.

The keys are a flat long hot ride. You won't find a twisty down there!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
There is a ship wreck museum in Key West that is a must see. They salvaged an old ship that was full of gold and there is lots of the gold on display. Very interesting.

I wouldn't mind going down and visiting the gold bars at night. :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
My wife and I enjoyed Schooner Wharf Bar and Grill and Blue Heaven good places to eat. Got to Sunset pier and watch all the local acts at sunset. Have a safe trip.

·
Banned
226 Posts

The Atocha .She went down in a hurricane in 1622. Its still the richest find of gold ever on a sunken ship. $300million in gold, silver and jewels discovered by Mel Fisher in 1985. Very cool I have a silver six pence hanging around my neck from that wreck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It gets packed on July 4th weekend..... if you were able to find a room anywhere in Key West, you were lucky.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
What is Matt's favorite saying?

It's a major hangout. Jus sayin... If that bothers you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
WATCH YOUR SPEED. watch for key deer too.if you hit one you may spend the rest of your life in jail there.lol have fun at the bars but you need to walk. maxster ;)

·
Banned
226 Posts
In key West, Irish Kevin's Pub for pints of Guinness. There's a place there too that sells a slice of key lime pie that's to die for. Even it it is $7.50 a slice. Margarita-ville is OK if you like hang'in with a butt load of tourist and it smells like the s**t house door off a tuna boat in there. Its a small town and walking around half cocked is the norm.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mallory Square for the sunset.......Hog's Breath bar...Sloppy Joes.....people watch along Duval Street......

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. I think we've decided that we're better off to just take a day or two off and go when it's not everyone elses holiday weekend. Maybe next month.

But I still appreciate the responses. I'll use them when we do go...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Good call -- maybe go after Labor Day and truly enjoy yourselves and really kick back. Mallory Square is a simply a good time, I've never heard sun sets cheered for, we loved it. Make sure you meet Mr. Mojito on that square :thumbup:

One more suggestion. Consider the Hemmingway tour, we really enjoyed it. Every thing is walkable, we did rent scooters one day and that was fun, MUCH more fun than driving a Gold Wing around town .... trust me ;)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Point the bike in a southerly direction. Ride 95 to 1. Do not turn, do not lean. Some real exciting riding. Have a beer at Sloppys for me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went down during spring break this year. If you're military or gov't worker, they have lodging on the base that was very reasonable and quiet at night, about 1 mile from the strip.

·
Registered
949 Posts
WATCH YOUR SPEED. watch for key deer too.
AND watch out for the drunk drivers!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts