GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a muscle problem where the cold makes me weak. Weird, I know. So, even a 1/2 hour ride at 65 degrees F leaves my legs weak all day. I'm looking for suggestions to keep my legs warm (especially the front of my upper legs--quads).

Do you like chaps, riding pants, suit, coveralls?

I commute, so I'm looking for something easy on and off. Kinda thinking even some wind proof nylon chaps might help. Open to suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
As ReRide said, heated pants will do the job. 65 degrees isn't all that cold, so I would bet that just some riding over pants that block the wind would probably do the job too. The fact that the riding pants will give you some added protection can't be a bad thing either.

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
:agree: you sound like the ideal candidate for riding pants and heated liner :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
So, I have a muscle problem where the cold makes me weak. Weird, I know. So, even a 1/2 hour ride at 65 degrees F leaves my legs weak all day. I'm looking for suggestions to keep my legs warm (especially the front of my upper legs--quads).

Do you like chaps, riding pants, suit, coveralls?

I commute, so I'm looking for something easy on and off. Kinda thinking even some wind proof nylon chaps might help. Open to suggestions.

Thanks.

I have Motoport Ultra II riding pants and can get in or out of them in under a min and they give excellent get off protection in the event that it is needed. After last summers unplanned get off and 40' slide on asphalt, I wore mine for the rest of the riding season then sent them back to Motoport for repairs so they are good to go again. I would recommend getting the stretch kevlar ones as they would be a bit warmer for you than the mesh.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
:agree:
As ReRide said, heated pants will do the job. 65 degrees isn't all that cold, so I would bet that just some riding over pants that block the wind would probably do the job too. The fact that the riding pants will give you some added protection can't be a bad thing either.
:agree: also they make little clip straps that clip to bottom of your pants go under or to your boot and hold the pants leg down and tight so min. wind if any go up legs. good luck a Harley dealer will have these. woos i said a dirty word:cool:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I have a pair of wind breaker paints, they are light weight and work great. A good set of chaps or heated gear will work wonders also. Also you could try some thermal long johns. Or if you want to take the less expensive way, get a pair of leg warmers and put them on under your paint legs.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I just turn up the seat heat and grip heat and IF it is really cold I put on the rain suit pants and close the velcro leggings. I am a sissy after cancer and do not ride below 50 unless I really have to . Oh I had to go to a trike since right leg is a little weaker.

·
Registered
869 Posts
[ to wear over pants I got from leather up, going on 4 years now. also have wind wings and mirror wings. they help also. had my leather over pants on when I had an unscheduled introduction to the pavement last year. can't tell I slid on the front of them, no scrapes.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Go with electric heated liner or pants. That way you can adjust the heat to your comfort as the conditions dictate.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The Cadillac for a commuter might be an Aerostich R3 light. Easy on/off one piece. Lots of sizes and customizations available. Not cheap, but only cry once and takes care of all riding (moreso if you get the non-light). No need for rain gear, any other padding, etc., all is now obsolete. Just add heated gear if you find you need it.

I've always found that my cold legs were better served in all but the most extreme conditions by turning on my electric jacket, warming my core, and allowing my body to do the rest. With your medical conditions, that might not be the case.

Whatever you do, since this is now deal breaker level stuff for you, I would not ***** foot around.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Have a set of leather chaps, I'm 5'7", unfortunately my waist has expanded a bit, believe the chaps are 33" or 34", and can be expanded some in the back with what looks like a shoe string type of arrangement, if that would work for you are interested, give me a shout. Tip, they are not a quick on quick off item, but they do the job very well that leather chaps are designed to do. Oh yes, several years old, but seldom used back in the day when they fit. Very good condition. Make you a very good deal if you're interested, I have not tried to sell the things, wife says wait until she slims down a bit and she 'might' wear them. What can I say????

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Florida will offer that warm weather for sure.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts