GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Vendor
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a bit of a rant, so if you can't stand complaints, look away.

Honda, I hope you read this and really consider it. I know you are getting ready to hold some focus groups to get some input on the Wing, so here is some I hope you'll listen to.

Ok, first off, I want to air a complaint about the Air Bag bikes. The incorporation of the Air Bag onto the GL1800 has now affected every model GL1800 made, and not in a good way. In 2012 we not only have our radio controls relocated, but we also get a goofy glovebox that the lid isn't even attached to, and we also loose the cargo space in the trunk where the CD player used to go. This was very usable space for tools etc, and the relocation of the radio into that space now fills it up. Additionally, the relocated radio control now cause the rider to look down when trying to operate it, and it creates more of a hazard when riding. So the Air Bag model may now actually make all the bikes LESS SAFE, and could actually lead to causing an accident instead of saving a life. The whole implementation of it was very poorly thought out and executed. If you want to continue to make an air bag model bike, please don't change everything else on all the other models just to accommodate one version that you only sell a few of anyway. It litterally has spoiled all the other model GoldWings.

You did do a good job on the Ipod interface. The only minor complaint I would have is that I would like a Play/Pause button on the handlebar so I can somehow pause it when I need to.

In all the years you have made the Wing, I can't believe you haven't figured out that the passenger sometimes needs a different volume level of music than the rider. You should put a true FADER control on the system for the headsets that affects the music level, but not the intercom. The aftermarket passenger volume control just doesn't cut it.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could add a jack for the passenger to plug in their own music source and listen to a different music source than the rider, but still have intercom communication via the headset.

I'd like to see you incorporate a BlueTooth link for cell phones to interface them into the intercom system on your next Wing.

I won't get into the styling of the 2012, cause I know that is subjective, but it seems like you are making the bike bigger and heavier, which is not the direction I'd like to see the bike go.

Still no electrically adjustable windshield.

The GPS on the 2012 does seem to be greatly improved with the ability to load routes, but the legal disclaimer nag that you can't even acknowledge once you are moving totally ruins it. Why on earth can you reach down and push a button on the intercom or volume control while riding, but not be able to push one single ENTER button to make the disclaimer go away and turn the GPS on???? It makes absolutely NO SENSE. I understand you don't want riders using the buttons and functions while moving, but c'mon, at least let us acknowledge the disclaimer and turn the GPS on. And the crashing problem of the GPS on the 2012 only makes this problem worse, cause now you have to pull over and stop when it locks up and restarts, because you again have to acknowledge the disclaimer. So how distracting do you think this is for a rider when he has to navigate traffic and pull off to the side of a busy road, just because of your legal disclaimer message?

I've got a better idea. Give me a legal disclaimer form I have to sign when I buy a GoldWing with a GPS, and then do away with the legal nag screen altogether.

You also really need to get to the bottom of the issue that is causing routes to crash the GPS on the 2012 and fix it.

Transmission issues: I'd like to see you resolve the transmission issues on this bike once and for all, and do a complete redesign of it and find a way to stuff in a 6th gear.

·
Registered
836 Posts
And why do we still need a key (and one that's longer than every other key on my ring, at that)? Keyless ignitions have been around for years and years.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
You'll notice that ALL of the buttons on the right side don't work while moving. Honda must think it is more dangerous to use the right hand to operate buttons not on the handle bar than the left. I guess since the throttle and brake is on that side, maybe, but I too dislike the inability to press "ent" to acknowledge the nag.

I've gotten use to the button locations for the radio controls. I don't look down any more than I did when trying to operate the radio on the tank. You may also acclimate to this.

I like the passenger audio ideas. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
... and aren't you glad you bought one! :joke:

Some of those I think you've mentioned before... maybe during your initial review when they were unveiled.

It does seem the '12 was haphazardly designed. I'm hoping the '13 or '14 will address those issues and Honda finally moves into the 21st Century.

Enjoy your bike Fred!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree

:agree:I agree with Tryker. Surely somewhere during the R & D of the GL1800 the problems with the suspension were noticed. If a small company like Traxion can develop the components that improve the suspension Mother Honda should be able to.:shrug:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have ridden the BMW GTL, and while I will not replace my 2010 GL there are a few things I would like to see on a re-designed GL

1. LOVE that BWM ESA II suspension. That Hossack style front end is much better than any telescopic fork design I have ever ridden. Also, the ability to adjust the suspension settings on the fly would be great.

2. Please give me an electricly adjustable windshield. It's not really that hard.

3. BMW is really on to something with that adaptive headlight.

4. How about a slight mod to the engine? Use the Unicam system with 4 valves like on the VFR1200F. Give us another 1,500 or 2,000 RPM. Would raise the HP nicely and should not effect the low end torque much. Use variable valve timing if that would help.

5. Six speed DCT please!

6. Please let me buy it with ABS and the airbag but without that frustrating Navigation system. I will mount a Garmin on the bars (just like now)

7. Better carrying capacity.

That's my wish list. I would be willing to trade up if I could get this bike.

Larry

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hold on

Hold on!!

I was told that Mother Honda is top notch, removes all financial and technical barriers, allows their engineers to make any improvements need and they listen to us. Is this not true???

Just kidding!!! :lol:

Although I think they could go a long way to take our feedback and make the necessary improvements, the GW is still the best bike I have ever own!

I just want it better!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
A 25% weight loss. a V4 with at least 130lbs/ft of torque. A completely
redesigned front end/suspension with fully adjustable preload, rebound
and dampening. Easy air filter access. Dealers who have mechanics
certified to work on Wings under warranty and stock basic parts....like tires. A transmission on par with other manufacturers flagship models.

Make all electronic farkles ( MP3, Radio, CB, Bluetooth and such) modular plug in options available at dealerships. Make additional popular upgrades such as air bladder seats, floorboards, luggage racks, risers, highway pegs, etc' manufacturer designed or vender procured items available at dealerships. This will help bring customers back to your dealerships. ....HD figured this out 20 years ago and is a major reason for their dealership satisfaction and customer loyalty.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
A 25% weight loss. a V4 with at least 130lbs/ft of torque. A completely
redesigned front end/suspension with fully adjustable preload, rebound
and dampening. Easy air filter access. Dealers who have mechanics
certified to work on Wings under warranty and stock basic parts....like tires. A transmission on par with other manufacturers flagship models.

Make all electronic farkles ( MP3, Radio, CB, Bluetooth and such) modular plug in options available at dealerships. Make additional popular upgrades such as air bladder seats, floorboards, luggage racks, risers, highway pegs, etc' manufacturer designed or vender procured items available at dealerships. This will help bring customers back to your dealerships. ....HD figured this out 20 years ago and is a major reason for their dealership satisfaction and customer loyalty.
Exactly. I could go for a V-4... larger than the 750 Sabre I used to ride, of course... as long as it had sufficient power and was as "bulletproof" as the 6-cyl GL engines have been. The transmission could definitely use some upgrading, although mine has been OK so far. Dealer-installed add-ons would be a great things as well, and that air filter thing really needs to be addressed.

A decent Bluetooth system would make a lot of things easier to do. I prefer that to being stuck with an overpriced CB radio that I almost never use. BT would allow the something like the Yaesu FTM-10R to be more easily installed.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
:agree:i agree with tryker. Surely somewhere during the r & d of the gl1800 the problems with the suspension were noticed. If a small company like traxion can develop the components that improve the suspension mother honda should be able to.:shrug:
but the 2012 owners say the suspension is improved!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
How 'bout Honda incorporates a trailer hitch INTO the Wing frame? A nice vertical receiver hitch with a good, universal light hookup!

A 6th and even a 7th gear are needed. On my recent trip to Utah and back, I can't count the number of times I pulled in the clutch and tried to shift into a higher gear, only to discover I was already in "OD.'

Driver backrests are common on Wings. Honda should DESIGN a seat that will accept a driver's backrest, or even come with one that is removable, so we don't have to cut a hole in the stock seat while avoiding the heater elements.

One thing I'd love to see is a four-camera DVR built into the bike. A camera up front with a GOOD, HD wide angle lens, one to each side and one at the rear, all simultaneously recording to a 64 GB CF card or something. Put a fifth camera at the handlebar mount to catch the gauges and if and when an accident occurs, a recording of everything around the bike will have been automatically captured. Mold the cameras into the Tupperware just like the turn signals, so a simple wipe with a clean cloth will clear the lens viewing area. I'd pay good money for a system like that! Make it record non-stop for ... 10 hours, and store 6 months of video onto a hard drive or something.

How about a traffic GYRO? Mount a 10-20 pound balanced disc in a horizontal housing just under the rear trunk. When the gyro is activated, the slow crawling pace traffic will not beat the pilot to death balancing the bike. He would be able to stay feet up and simply feather the clutch and ride in a slow, straight line until traffic gets moving again. The gyro could be turned on manually or automatically, and would shut down at sustained speeds over say ... 15 MPH.

These would be nice options/additions!

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
How 'bout Honda incorporates a trailer hitch INTO the Wing frame? A nice vertical receiver hitch with a good, universal light hookup!

A 6th and even a 7th gear are needed. On my recent trip to Utah and back, I can't count the number of times I pulled in the clutch and tried to shift into a higher gear, only to discover I was already in "OD.'

Driver backrests are common on Wings. Honda should DESIGN a seat that will accept a driver's backrest, or even come with one that is removable, so we don't have to cut a hole in the stock seat while avoiding the heater elements.

One thing I'd love to see is a four-camera DVR built into the bike. A camera up front with a GOOD, HD wide angle lens, one to each side and one at the rear, all simultaneously recording to a 64 GB CF card or something. Put a fifth camera at the handlebar mount to catch the gauges and if and when an accident occurs, a recording of everything around the bike will have been automatically captured. Mold the cameras into the Tupperware just like the turn signals, so a simple wipe with a clean cloth will clear the lens viewing area. I'd pay good money for a system like that! Make it record non-stop for ... 10 hours, and store 6 months of video onto a hard drive or something.

How about a traffic GYRO? Mount a 10-20 pound balanced disc in a horizontal housing just under the rear trunk. When the gyro is activated, the slow crawling pace traffic will not beat the pilot to death balancing the bike. He would be able to stay feet up and simply feather the clutch and ride in a slow, straight line until traffic gets moving again. The gyro could be turned on manually or automatically, and would shut down at sustained speeds over say ... 15 MPH.

These would be nice options/additions!
I was actually taking you seriously until I got to the GYRO. I knew 20lbs would be too heavy.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If it weren't for Honda's poor GL1800 design, our employment problems would be greater in the US than they are already!

Traxxion - American Company
Bike MP3 - American Company
Baker Built - American Company
Kuryakyn - American Company

and I'm sure many others!

It's for sure Honda will not make any improvement without going UP on the price, so why should we send our money to JAPAN when it can be spent here in the USA? It's bad enough that they moved the factory!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seriously I hate to be a thread killer here but in reading some of these things, go buy a honda civic or even an accord.

Coming form a Zx14 to a GL it seems to me some of you have forgotten what motorcycling is all about and have gotten a bit whinny. :shock:

Just throwing that out there.......
Cheers
K

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
but the 2012 owners say the suspension is improved!

The only thing different about the suspension is they used a different coating on the slider bushings in the shock and fork. Bummer. The stock forks are still spindly, under sprung, 1970's technology.... Compared to other forks in tour & Sport tour bikes built today, they are total junk. I have seen Goldwings with 20,000 miles on them and the Teflon coating on the slider bushings is completely worn off. Maybe they are at least using a coating that will stay on the bushings. The 2012 forks probably do feel better than the older stuff, but I suspect it is because the are just new. Not any better, just new.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
The only thing different about the suspension is they used a different coating on the slider bushings in the shock and fork. Bummer. The stock forks are still spindly, under sprung, 1970's technology.... Compared to other forks in tour & Sport tour bikes built today, they are total junk. I have seen Goldwings with 20,000 miles on them and the Teflon coating on the slider bushings is completely worn off. Maybe they are at least using a coating that will stay on the bushings. The 2012 forks probably do feel better than the older stuff, but I suspect it is because the are just new. Not any better, just new.
I was being sarcastic... Max at Traxxion got dragged over the coals because he went to the effort to dismantle and compare the '12 to the '10 and saw same ole same ole. '12 buyers were insulted. No one likes to hear no significant changes were made. I Traxxionized and to be fair was not feeling good when Fred H bought a '12. My decision to get Traxxion was based on buy a '12 for an additonal 12-14k or spend 3k to upgrade the suspension. I chose the latter. I have nothing against the '12 if that is what you want just to keep current. What I do have an objection to is the '12 buyer's think it is so much better. I will wait for a really NEW Wing. Until then, I will be more than content with my '06.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I truly hope that Honda doesn't do that "variable timing" thing. It's great until it doesn't work right and then it's a horrible expense! I've got it on my F150 Lariat and it's a piece of crap.

I haven't taken delivery of my 12 yet, but I'm absolutely positive that it will give me years of enjoyment and something that I can constantly work to make better.

lol - You all are a great bunch!! Glad to be a part of this forum!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Being newbies . . .

Some of us don't know when to chuckle, enjoy good humor . . . . or when . . . to think

Damn!! The man is cold stone serious.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts