GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seven years of riding my wing I believe I want to try a CT out. Will be my first time. I've done a bit of research of old threads and from what I've read a Michelin will be best suited to me, however, wanted to get opinions before I order.

I'm a big guy at 275 and ride about 70% 2up with my wife who is average size. We mostly tour/sight see (interstates & state roads) when the wife is on board but I enjoy a solo trip of curvy road riding about once a year. I have a Unigo trailer on order so I will have the additional weight of that plus the hitch.

Anymore info needed? Suggestions for a tire to best suit me?

I have a couple other questions but will hold off a bit until I get the proper tire ordered.

Thanks much,
Dan

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
What ohiowinger said. I was the biggest sceptic out there. Made Goldwing greg look like an advocate!
But for the price of a tire and the added safety of a run-flat tire, I went with the Michelin Alpin just for a test. 1000 miles local, then a 5800 mile trip riding 2-up, I saw the light. The performnce in all weather conditions was better than I could have expected with any MC tire I have ran on my Gl1800. But bottom line is the safety.
For the cost of a tire, you can make your own decission. I have every reason to believe you will like the change.
The Michelin Alpin I am presently running has 12,000+ miles on it and shows 8/32 of tread left. Running 34 psi.

Cheers,

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
After seven years of riding my wing I believe I want to try a CT out. Will be my first time. I've done a bit of research of old threads and from what I've read a Michelin will be best suited to me, however, wanted to get opinions before I order.

I'm a big guy at 275 and ride about 70% 2up with my wife who is average size. We mostly tour/sight see (interstates & state roads) when the wife is on board but I enjoy a solo trip of curvy road riding about once a year. I have a Unigo trailer on order so I will have the additional weight of that plus the hitch.

I have a couple other questions but will hold off a bit until I get the proper tire ordered.

Thanks much,
Dan
First and formost like to say hello I've been a darkside for a little while now and enjoy the safty of the car tire and wife loves it a lot more than the m/t tire cause of bumps she states that it's a better ride with it on. I'm 6'1" tall and around 230 lbs wife is a lot less. first tire that I used was a kumho ok to start with but then I got into the Mich run flat what a great tire for long haul at around 28 cold psi I also pull a trailer wife always have extra stuff to carry that big can of hair spray or blowdryer just in case then she slaps a helment on go fiqure.
When riding solo or double and I know that I'm going to hit some very mine twisties I up the presure to around 42-44 cold psi to give the tire a little more of the round feeling.
check to see if there are anyone in your area that is on this board that lives next to you there are a lot of us that have at least 1 or 2 spare tires ready to go I know that I have 1 mich and eufori ready to go there might be someone willing to let you try a tire. Remember you can always ask question here where not that bad and willing to help out if you ask. when I first got the tire it was werid thinking that there is a car tire back there so I started of slow them more and more got use to the thing and now will never go back did have to change riding a little cause of tire I found out that I can make the front of tire wash out before the rear now and that wasn't a good feeling also at stop light when you hit the throttle hard it will take off very quick cause of extra grip on mt tire i would make it sit and spin now it goes. if you want to talk on phone shut me a pm with number I'll call enjoy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Thanks much,
Dan
Welcome,

My wife and I together tip the scales at 500+ always two up mostly aggressive twisties, and our favorite tire is the Alpin. Smooth ride, excellent traction in all conditions, dry, wet, dirt, mud etc. The only time it is not the best is at the upper limits in the twisties. This can be somewhat mitigated by increasing the pressure. We run 36 PSI cold in the back and a G709 in the front at 41 PSI cold. We still wear the edges out first, but this is not typical, and most would run the back somewhere around 32. Since we have a new Alpin we bought last year before trying the YOKO we will be running it this year, but will probably go back to the Yokohama because it suits our style of riding best, but I still prefer the Alpin for most of our riding.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

Thanks much,
Dan
Thanks for the questions Dan and welcome to the board. I will echo what many have already said. Based on your riding tendencies, I agree that the Michelin Alpin might meet your needs best. All I would really add is about air pressure. My recommendation is to start at 32psi cold (70F). The basic rule to apply if the cold temp is not 70F is to add or subtract 1psi for every 10 degrees difference from 70 (i.e., if the temp is 50, set the pressure at 30psi). It is remarkable how air pressure tracks air temperature. If the tread center starts to wear faster than the edges, drop the pressure, perhaps 2psi, and continue monitoring tread depth. It won't take that long before you will find the optimum pressure for your riding style and circumstances.

Please feel free to ask questions here any time. Keep us informed about your progress / experiences. We are all here to learn and advise.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP or the Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS both in 195/55/16 will serve your needs well. This time of year it may be harder to find an Alpin though. The Michelin gives a little softer ride, both are RunFlats.

https://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/yokohama/195%2F55-16+yokohama+avid+envigor+zps+rft+87v.html
+1 :thumbup: I run an Aplin...I am a 95% commuter (slab rider year round) and I like to play in twisties...but I have set my bike up for my queen's comfort in mind! My wife (Jo) LOVES the Alpin...I know longer get the grunt...then poke in the ribs and the verbal wiping for not telling her about the bump (mostly bridges) I just hit! She now says she knows we hit the bridge/bump because she can feel the bike hit it....but it doesn't jar her and cause pain or stop her breathing like the MT did! :nojoke:

As for the rest...what can I add to over a million + miles of testing/riding CT's. They have been already proven to work to my knowledge of know proven/documented accident caused by a CT. They are safer...they have better traction...better/softer ride...cheaper (more miles per tire...tire itself cost less....go to Walmart and have it installed for $5. Better stopping...faster takeoffs (traction) no catastrophic deflation with a RF! and I am sure I missed something.

Bottom line for me is and was safety! I have not rode a motorcycle in 20'ish years after a crash from a cage pulled out in front of me. I bought my 2nd bike in 2012 and after running some local twisties with 5K on brand new bike I had a blowout! At 60+ mph...it was all I could do to keep it off the guard rail! If that was not bad enough...I was stuck with flat tire with nowhere to go. My handle bar was on yellow line...the other bar was over the guardrail with cars blowing by at 60+ inches from me!! Talk about a bad case of vapor-loc!! Tire look brand new...but had a huge rip across tread from left to right! One minute I was smiling...gliding thru twisties...the next...trying to stay alive!!

When it came time to buy my GW...that failure was always on my mind. Now more than every because my wife was riding with me. She is not big...but I guess that 2up and geared up for a trip we was sure to be over a 1000#. Now have a tire blow out at 60+ mph!! I was afraid I could not keep bike vertical if that was to happen.

This fear got worse with reading about members on this board that had had MT blow out! Crap!! how was I to enjoy riding with my wife knowing my MT could put me on the rim at any second and I would be in for the fight for our lives! I don't want to sound like a drama queen...but ready...this happens with MT tires every year! There are lawsuit against all the MT companies from tire failure. (just saw a site that listed Dunnie suits a couple weeks ago)

In a nut shell...one...I demand safety for my wife! And 2nd...I am cheap!? :shock: Ok...let me explain....I slab to work and I have a twitch is my right hand that snaps the throttle which causes a burst of energy and (makes me smile!!) wears out that little contact patch pretty fast! :shock:
I wore out my first stone in 7K! Now that may not seem like much to a lot on this board...but to me...that is 4 MT's a year and it was only getting worse! (doc says there's no none cure for a twitchy/snappy wrest!?) At $200 a pop only sealed the deal for a CT because Jo (that's my wife) was having none of the 4 to 5+ MT's a year to feed me twitch!! :oops:

Hope this helps...try one and after 500 or 1000 miles or so you decide you don't like it...sale it on the DS board. Somebody will take it. Like most who do try it (not all) never go back to MT (be warned!!). It just doesn't make since if you can tolerate the slight difference in the handling of a CT. With the Alpin...I could not feel the handling difference and liked the Alpin better than the MT because I had wore such a flat spot on my MT you would swear it was a CT! :nojoke:

Good luck and enjoy! :thumbup:

Oh...don't tell your wife you changed to a CT and see if she notices it...bet she does especially if you have some miles on your rear suspension!! :shock:

HAHAHA! no punt intended!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered the Alpin

Just ordered the Michilin from Tirerack. Thanks to all for the replys. Improving the ride for my passenger is one of the primary reasons I want to give this a try. Even though I spent big bucks on my Traxxion the ride is still a bit harsh for my wife. She doesn't complain about it but when I hit a bump I know she feels most of the jolt.

I'm excited about giving it a try....which brings me to my next question.

I have the Centrmatics which makes installing my past MC tires a bit of a chore. Will I be able to fit the Michilin in there with the Centramatic installed? (Will use the lay over method w/garbage bag). Wondering if I should go ahead and have the wheel/ct static balanced or switch to the beads for the rear ct?

Think that's all for now,
Dan

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The Michelin Primacy Alpin is a winter tire.

The Michelin Primacy HP is a summer tire.

Links:

http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selector/category/winter/primacy-alpin-pa3/tire-details

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/luxury-performance-touring/primacy-hp/tire-details

Notice that the summer tire has almost no sipes......(diagonal cuts across the tread) and may feel less squirmy in spirited twisty riding.

I have the summer run-flat tire and find nothing wrong with it except it has a tendency to wear in the center much more than my Kumho run-flat did. I have reduced the pressure to 28, at 65 degrees, in hopes of stopping/slowing the center wear.

The flatter Kumho tended to keep the bike upright much more than the Michelin does and was much easier to keep the bike upright during very SLOW bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. I could creep along at 1/2 mph with my feet on the pegs.

The Michelin handles just like a MC tire.

Both gave a very soft ride compared to a MC tire which had to be run at 41 psi.

gramps

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Michelin Primacy Alpin is a winter tire.

The Michelin Primacy HP is a summer tire.

Links:

http://www.michelin.ca/tire-selector/category/winter/primacy-alpin-pa3/tire-details

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/luxury-performance-touring/primacy-hp/tire-details

Notice that the summer tire has almost no sipes......(diagonal cuts across the tread) and may feel less squirmy in spirited twisty riding.

I have the summer run-flat tire and find nothing wrong with it except it has a tendency to wear in the center much more than my Kumho run-flat did. I have reduced the pressure to 28, at 65 degrees, in hopes of stopping/slowing the center wear.

The flatter Kumho tended to keep the bike upright much more than the Michelin does and was much easier to keep the bike upright during very SLOW bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. I could creep along at 1/2 mph with my feet on the pegs.

The Michelin handles just like a MC tire.

Both gave a very soft ride compared to a MC tire which had to be run at 41 psi.

gramps
Thanks Gramps, I ordered the Michilin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP. Seems like a lot of serious goldwing Iron Butt riders, including Greg Rice, use a ct. That's real good testimony in my view.

Dan

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Just ordered the Michilin from Tirerack. Thanks to all for the replys. Improving the ride for my passenger is one of the primary reasons I want to give this a try. Even though I spent big bucks on my Traxxion the ride is still a bit harsh for my wife. She doesn't complain about it but when I hit a bump I know she feels most of the jolt.

I have the Centrmatics which makes installing my past MC tires a bit of a chore. Will I be able to fit the Michilin in there with the Centramatic installed? (Will use the lay over method w/garbage bag). Wondering if I should go ahead and have the wheel/ct static balanced or switch to the beads for the rear ct?

Dan
I also use the Centramatics, sure its pain to get under the CT but it gets easier the more you do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First time Darkside

I have been reading all the post I can find about dark siding and took the plunge. I ordered the 195/55RF-16 Bridgestone Potenza run flat. Does anyone have any experience with this tire?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Thanks for the questions Dan and welcome to the board. I will echo what many have already said. Based on your riding tendencies, I agree that the Michelin Alpin might meet your needs best. All I would really add is about air pressure. My recommendation is to start at 32psi cold (70F). The basic rule to apply if the cold temp is not 70F is to add or subtract 1psi for every 10 degrees difference from 70 (i.e., if the temp is 50, set the pressure at 30psi). It is remarkable how air pressure tracks air temperature. If the tread center starts to wear faster than the edges, drop the pressure, perhaps 2psi, and continue monitoring tread depth. It won't take that long before you will find the optimum pressure for your riding style and circumstances.

Please feel free to ask questions here any time. Keep us informed about your progress / experiences. We are all here to learn and advise.
HAHAAHA! I did not no this!! No wonder I had so much fun a couple weeks ago. I always ran my Alpin at 34#! So 34#'s at the @ 1* outside...would be 41#!!! Right!? A little stiff...but hey...what isn't riding at 1*...Right? :shock:

·
Registered
7,379 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HAHAAHA! I did not no this!! No wonder I had so much fun a couple weeks ago. I always ran my Alpin at 34#! So 34#'s at the @ 1* outside...would be 41#!!! Right!? A little stiff...but hey...what isn't riding at 1*...Right? :shock:
Mike,
The math works the other direction.
Subtract for cold.
Add for heat.
Your tire was at 27#

·
Registered
2,479 Posts

Dan
I run the Centramatics with no issues at all. To install, put the tire on first, then slip the Centramatics plate under it by lifting up the rim. As ohiowinger said, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. And it all WILL fit in there!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Also remember the Centramatic ring goes UP, I installed it the other way once and it gives a strange out of balance feeling at higher speeds while leaned over.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Also remember the Centramatic ring goes UP, I installed it the other way once and it gives a strange out of balance feeling at higher speeds leaned over.
I can't imagine how in the world YOU would know that. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Mike,
The math works the other direction.
Subtract for cold.
Add for heat.
Your tire was at 27#
:oops: Hmm...well...it wasn't the tire...must have been brain freeze!? :shock:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts