GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for rear passenger seating comfort?

For me, the 2012 has the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden. For the Misses, not so much. We put a more upright backrest on, and she likes that. But I feel her squirming back there after about 30-45 minutes. That's just not like her. Mean City Cycles is just up the street. They can reshape the foam, add memory foam or add gel. We could also try beads (I love 'em) or one of those gel/fur pads.

She is 5'10" tall and weighs more now than the 120 pounds she did when we were first married 32 years ago. She doesn't say she's getting hot spots, just soar and uncomfortable.

Suggestions? Feedback? Experiences?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
foot rests

She may need a way to straighten her legs. It is more confining on the back seat than it is in front. Also, what kind of back rest do you have. If you have the Kuraykin or anything but the Utopia, it can cause some serious issues. The Kury causes the passenger to have spread wide for the bars. It would make me uncomfortable very quickly.

Richard

·
Registered
385 Posts
My wife is short so the Kury Transformer Boards made a huge difference for her as she had similar complaints.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
She may be experiencing the same thing I am. When I had my 2006 Gold Wing I weighed 205 lbs. and the stock seat was ok. I'm now at 280 lbs. and I am sure most of my discomfort is that I've got the foam in the stock seat on my 2012 pretty much compressed to the point that makes it uncomfortable. That feels like it creates more heat.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Before doing any seat modifications, I would first try having your wife sit on one of those Walmart gel "waffle" cushions. If that helps her, then maybe some mods to the seat foam are in order. If not and her discomfort is more joint related, then maybe the transformer boards.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Just a couple thoughts:

When I first did a 250 mile loop ride (only out of the saddle for fuel & food) I found my a$$ burning and my knees aching. Since I added ****-O-Pegs, I can ride 16-18 hours without any issues. So I'd suggest finding a way for your rear admiral to reposition her feet/legs. It might relieve whatever pressure she's experiencing.

Another thought is to go to an upholstery shop or such and buy a piece of 2-3" thick 'memory foam' and have her sit on that (before trying an expensive complete seat rebuild) for a few rides. Not only will it form to and support the contours of her... well, you know, it also will raise her up and give more legroom.

Hope you are able to make effective changes and get her comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts