GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Garmin 2820 with XM is kaput.

What are some suggestions for XM radio for the 1800, mine is 2008 and doesn't have it built in.

Did some checking and thought any XM would do, but see they have motorcycle specific units. Do I need to buy one for M/C use only?

What are you using, and how do you like it?

Thanks in advance for replies.

RiderUSA

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
A "motorcycle specific" unit will be shock proof and waterproof. Shock proof for where you're gonna mount it, and water proof for....well....where you're gonna mount it! :lol:

I have an old Garmin 450. Yes, I know it's old, but it does what I like it to do.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Since you're used to your XM being integrated with your GPS, get a 665 from Bulldog (Shinhopples). It'll do everything the 2820 did and then some. I know. I loved my 2820. When it died, I replaced it with a 660 (no XM) and I'm loving the new GPS.

You'll have to call Bulldog to order it (it's not listed on his website). $620, plus tax if applicable. If you pay by credit card or PayPal, add 3%.

Sadly, the new GPS's that Garmin is releasing aren't XM capable (350,390,590).

My $0.02...

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I use a Delphi roady II . It's worked great for 3 years and has been rained on many many times...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
ROADY XT.

I did some surgery to the car mount & bolted it to the left speaker grill, wiring straight into the Black Hole.
Doesn't get wet unless it's torrential, then I just plastic bag it.

Bike antenna from Sat Radio Superstore is stuck to the back of the left reservoir.
Five years, no problems.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I just bought a Zumo 665 for my new trike and I like it almost as much as the built in one I had on my old bike. Easy install and works great. Haven't tried the weather yet

·
Registered
74 Posts
XM via Internet

chased an on-line XM Radio account for about $7.95 per month. I just plug my Samsung S4 into my aux. audio input and set my cell phone XM App to my favorite station and I can ride all day as I have power to my cell phone, too. There is pretty much 4G on all Interstates here in the Midwest. I'm not sure about Western States. Big cities all have it. The XM App also allows you to record channels for playback later right from your memory card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts