GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Whelen T1R strobe for the back of the wing (additional brake light) I also have a luggage rack like this one:

I would like to mount the Whelen on the center of the top bar, closest to the passenger backrest.

What are your thoughts on best way to accomplish? TIA.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm not sure what your Whelen looks like, but I bought a Whelen Lin 3 strobe light and replaced the reflector on the fender. And boy do I get seen!! That was the best money I've spent so much I bought another one and installed it on my trailer right dead center.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I looked up the T1R strobe and it looks like a mechanical rotating beacon type strobe. I agree with 4gunruner. The rectangular LED type strobes work very well as a third brake light or directional lights and there are no moving parts to wear out.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You don't have a whole lot of options with a round bar and a flat mounting surface. Just drill straight through the bar and use a small bolt and nylock nut to hold it on. you can remove the 2 screws in the backrest and remove it to route the wire to the light.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also put mine down low. I also installed the electrical connection 10 led running/brake light above my plate. I plan on a linz6 to mount on my extra rack ( similar to pak rat) when using it. I will make it detachable and use it on my escapade trailer when using it.

I know this didn't answer your question, just giving other options like everyone else.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions on mounting in lower part of fender. I am aware of that location but wanted to try and get it higher (for visibility reasons) for riding on the interstate.

·
Registered
643 Posts
How about buying the second one, then placing them flush on the back of the rear speaker/passenger armrest boxes? Drill and run the wires internally? I have amber led marker lights connected as signal lights there. Works out great!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Richard,

I mounted mine on a piece of aluminum plate, so the light is centered above my tag. Drilled holes to match the tag mounting holes and use the tag bolts to hold the plate behind the tag. The wiring runs behind the tag, through the center hole in the fender.

Works for me. :thumbup:

Mike

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for the suggestions and advice. I got it mounted to the luggage rack today using a 1/4" think plexiglass backing plate and two clamps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts