GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is another thread in here regarding AK in 2014 that morphed into a thread for people who aren't able to make the trip this year. I saw that RAW posted his plans for going up in June - I almost missed the post. I thought it would be nice to have a thread for those who are committed to going up this year. I am going solo and would welcome the chance to meet some of you on the road. Backgrounder on me:

Going Solo - this is my first time making this trip. I'll be camping most of the way. I plan on leaving from ATL May 28 and have 6 weeks open, but can extend to end of July if needed. I am going to spend some time in CO/Utah/Montana etc before heading North. I may run down to Key West first just for grins. Would like to make it up to Artic circle - no desire to go beyond that point. I am on a Yellow '09 I picked up a couple of months ago specifically to make this trip. I am excited and nervous at the same time - this i something I have though about doing for a LONG time and now find myself in a position to make it happen. Life is good :)

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Alaska

I too am going this year. Me and 1 riding bud will be leaving either the 31st of May or the 7th of June for 5-6 weeks. We will be camping most of the way and heading to Glacier NP first. Then through Icefields Parkway and points north. We will be trying to ride all of the paved roads in Alaska and some of the more famous non/partially paved. The Artic Circle up the Haul Rd and if the weather breaks well, maybe even Prudhoe Bay will be considered. We will be on a black and a silver wings, with a silver trailer. We plan to ride some of the more famous roads out west on the return trip.

Richard

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Well, everyone so far is leaving earlier than I'm leaving. So I might get to run into you as I'm going up and you're heading home.
Myself and a riding friend are leaving June 28 from the central Pa. area. Our wives cant get the time off work so we'll both be riding solo. Will be nice not to have to pull a trailer for once. We're hoping to make Tok Ak. in 7 days. And then tour around Ak. for a couple weeks before heading back home.
I'll be sure to keep an eye on the board as it gets closer and while on the road. Would be nice to put a face with the names of some of you on this board.
I've been reading and researching as much as I can about this trip. It will be a trip of a lifetime for me and want to make the best of it. So as I'm on my way up I'll check the board for how those that are on their home made out and any info they can give on their adventures to help us that are going later in the month.

·
Registered
71 Posts
AK

There is another thread in here regarding AK in 2014 that morphed into a thread for people who aren't able to make the trip this year. I saw that RAW posted his plans for going up in June - I almost missed the post. I thought it would be nice to have a thread for those who are committed to going up this year. I am going solo and would welcome the chance to meet some of you on the road. Backgrounder on me:

Going Solo - this is my first time making this trip. I'll be camping most of the way. I plan on leaving from ATL May 28 and have 6 weeks open, but can extend to end of July if needed. I am going to spend some time in CO/Utah/Montana etc before heading North. I may run down to Key West first just for grins. Would like to make it up to Artic circle - no desire to go beyond that point. I am on a Yellow '09 I picked up a couple of months ago specifically to make this trip. I am excited and nervous at the same time - this i something I have though about doing for a LONG time and now find myself in a position to make it happen. Life is good :)
leaving Pa june 17 26 june to vancover island 29 june ferry to Port Rupert BC then north to AK for 3 wk

this will be my 2nd trip up, first time went solo wife is going this time!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Alaska, Summer 2014

You guys are gonna have a blast. I made the ride in 2012 and already have plans for another trip in August of 2015. Last time I made the ride to Anchorage for the GWRRA Rally. Next time it's the IBA Ultimate Coast to Coast to Coast that starts in Key West and ends in Prudhoe Bay, Ak. I camped out mostly in 2012 and the campsites have awesome views just as the entire ride. Anything I can do to help in your planning, don't hesitate to hit me up. I'm in the Atlanta area. P.S. The mosquito's ain't playin'. They are serious!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Hey Richard, good luck on the trip. From my experience 5-6 weeks is a good time frame. Wish I would have taken another 10 days. Take it all in and enjoy the greatest motorcycle adventure available to us. Be safe and post once in awhile.:)

Fred

·
Registered
3,177 Posts

I made the trip last year and I was simply astounded at the beauty and sense of adventure of it all. Thought about it for years and last year I decided at 68 it was now or never. I went two up with my girlfriend and she was a trooper for sure as we had much rain enroute and returning, but our time in AK was great weather. We had a great time and camped all the way. Prepare for mosquitos as they are plentiful. I would even consider getting a head net as many people had them. Along the coast they are not a problem, but interior is another matter. Going solo will be an easier trip for you. We only go thru life once, just do it.:thumbup:

I hope to make a return trip next year.

Fred

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I too am going this year. Me and 1 riding bud will be leaving either the 31st of May or the 7th of June for 5-6 weeks. We will be camping most of the way and heading to Glacier NP first. Then through Icefields Parkway and points north. We will be trying to ride all of the paved roads in Alaska and some of the more famous non/partially paved. The Artic Circle up the Haul Rd and if the weather breaks well, maybe even Prudhoe Bay will be considered. We will be on a black and a silver wings, with a silver trailer. We plan to ride some of the more famous roads out west on the return trip.

Richard
Richard, if your early enough, this would be a fun place to visit.
http://www.chetwyndchainsawchampionship.com/#!
thecruiser

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Alaska

I went in 2012 with my Dad, Touringon2, and a friend.... Outstanding trip, so we decided to go back again this June and take our wives. There will be 4 Wings riding 2 up and pulling trailers.

I hope to meet a few of you on the road. .... It's an unbelievable trip !

Kurt

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I Plan To Go

Thank you Wingdancer for keeping the fire lit! Below is a mostly copy and paste of my earlier post and I to hope to meet people on the road and campgrounds.

I plan on leaving Springboro, Ohio (1/2 way between Dayton and Cincinnati) somewhere around June 3/4/5. I will be camping 95% of the time pulling a white Mini Mate camper with a 2004 Titanium GW. I have a blue and white Nolan 104 helmet.

I am not going to book campgrounds in advance as all the research has pretty much said that spots are always available at about any campground along the way. My time in a hotel or motel will be saved for really bad weather times. Hopefully that will be kept to a minimum by the good Lord.

I am mapping my route out on the Harley Road Planner tool and going to down load it to my Garmin GPS. Going up one way and back down another.
Wife is planning to fly in "somewhere" and ride and sightsee with me on the trip for a few days and then I'll drop her off at another airport to fly home. Where and when yet to be determined. This is a common (and good) practice for us!

I have a Spot Gen 3 tracker I plan to use since I'm going solo.

Advice heeded on the mosquitoes! I have a head net and a full mosquito jacket. Along with some heavy duty repellant. Have dealt with mosquitoes and black flies fishing in Canada before. They are mean!

I plan to cook "some" meals to try to keep me away from fast food etc as much as possible. Healthy food on the road is hard to come by. I'm not opposed to hamburgers and hot dogs but trying to be smarter in my advancing years.

Need to fine tune my packing list. Have new tires to put on the bike. Planning a test run overnight camp out loaded as for Alaska in mid May.
Trying to stay light in what is packed in the trailer. I don't want to be even close to max weight on the trailer.

I plan on eating miles the first 2-3 days until I get to Montana and then slow down and enjoy the ride and such. If that means turning around and soaking up a site or visiting a museum, then I will. I really have no drop dead time to be back until around the last of July. I know I won't be gone that long but I'm fluid on my time. That's why no reservations for overnights.

I will take (and I'm sure the other folks will also) any and all suggestions on what to do, what to pack, what
NOT to pack, what to see, what road to take, what road NOT to take, where to stay, where NOT to stay and where to eat.

Hope to talk on here and on the road with you. If you breakdown, wave me down. You can have whatever extra I have you need to get you rolling again. If I'm on the side of the road I WILL be waving at you!

Ron

·
Registered
150 Posts
Heading to Alaska...Leaving NY...beginning of June...riding white Yamaha Tenere...plans.... Camping ..riding the Dalton to Deadhorse...exploring Alaska... Home by end of June....hope to see some of you out there....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Enjoy the trip!!

Thank you Wingdancer for keeping the fire lit! Below is a mostly copy and paste of my earlier post and I to hope to meet people on the road and campgrounds.

I plan on leaving Springboro, Ohio (1/2 way between Dayton and Cincinnati) somewhere around June 3/4/5. I will be camping 95% of the time pulling a white Mini Mate camper with a 2004 Titanium GW. I have a blue and white Nolan 104 helmet.

I am not going to book campgrounds in advance as all the research has pretty much said that spots are always available at about any campground along the way. My time in a hotel or motel will be saved for really bad weather times. Hopefully that will be kept to a minimum by the good Lord.

I am mapping my route out on the Harley Road Planner tool and going to down load it to my Garmin GPS. Going up one way and back down another.
Wife is planning to fly in "somewhere" and ride and sightsee with me on the trip for a few days and then I'll drop her off at another airport to fly home. Where and when yet to be determined. This is a common (and good) practice for us!

I have a Spot Gen 3 tracker I plan to use since I'm going solo.

Advice heeded on the mosquitoes! I have a head net and a full mosquito jacket. Along with some heavy duty repellant. Have dealt with mosquitoes and black flies fishing in Canada before. They are mean!

I plan to cook "some" meals to try to keep me away from fast food etc as much as possible. Healthy food on the road is hard to come by. I'm not opposed to hamburgers and hot dogs but trying to be smarter in my advancing years.

Need to fine tune my packing list. Have new tires to put on the bike. Planning a test run overnight camp out loaded as for Alaska in mid May.
Trying to stay light in what is packed in the trailer. I don't want to be even close to max weight on the trailer.

I plan on eating miles the first 2-3 days until I get to Montana and then slow down and enjoy the ride and such. If that means turning around and soaking up a site or visiting a museum, then I will. I really have no drop dead time to be back until around the last of July. I know I won't be gone that long but I'm fluid on my time. That's why no reservations for overnights.

I will take (and I'm sure the other folks will also) any and all suggestions on what to do, what to pack, what
NOT to pack, what to see, what road to take, what road NOT to take, where to stay, where NOT to stay and where to eat.

Hope to talk on here and on the road with you. If you breakdown, wave me down. You can have whatever extra I have you need to get you rolling again. If I'm on the side of the road I WILL be waving at you!

Ron
Ron,
My son & I made our first trek to Alaska last June from Texas/Kansas. it was the trip of my lifetime.

You will be OK without reservations - campgrounds (Provincial Parks) are plentiful & well maintained. We camped 21 nights out of 26. Best campground of our trip was Eagle Claw campground (Venessa Thompson) in Tok, AK. Motorcycles only. Also, the Harley dealership in Anchorage has a private campground (very clean bathrooms with hot showers). In Fairbanks, staying at the University of Alaska dorms is quite reasonable ( $36/double room - laundry facility & kitchen available)

Highlights of our trip: Glacier Natl Park, Jasper Natl Park, Banff, Liard Hot Springs, Whitehorse, Highway 37 (Stewart Cassier Hiway), Haines & Skagway, Valdez, Kenai Island and Seward, Hiways 97 & 99 south of Prince George in BC.

I pulled a trailer (400#) and needed a new rear tire on my GW at 8000 miles into the trip. Managed to get back into the states, I hear it's quite expensive north of the border.

Will be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

dmanhart

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Okay a question for others that are going or have gone. For those that didn't or don't plan on camping on their trip. Which I don't really want to camp. Did you or are you going to take a tent and sleeping bag "just in case" ?
Im still not sure what to do. Has anyone had problems finding places to stay while up in upper Canada or while in Alaska ?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Alaska 2014

I will be returning to Alaska again in June of 2014. My son BGBLK06 summed it up in post # 9. Hope to see a lot of you on the way. Good luck to all. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good pre-trip preparations are vital

Okay a question for others that are going or have gone. For those that didn't or don't plan on camping on their trip. Which I don't really want to camp. Did you or are you going to take a tent and sleeping bag "just in case" ?
Im still not sure what to do. Has anyone had problems finding places to stay while up in upper Canada or while in Alaska ?

Even with our plans to camp 100% of the time ( no hotel/motel reservations ), we were able to find shelter when needed: a hostel in the Jasper Natl Park & a motel in Hazelton, BC when getting caught in the rain and a one-room cabin in Haines when a bear alert was announced.

That said, because we planned to camp, our pre-trip preparation included making a list of available campsites 50 miles either direction from our target destination each day. I would suggest doing the same with hotels/motels and forget the sleeping bag and tent. The Alaskan Highway is not as deserted and desolate as I had expected, though there are 80-100 mile stretches that lack any accomodations.

Campgrounds are more plentiful than motels, so do the research before your trip to find lodging along your route. It makes the trip much more enjoyable.

The book "Milepost" is quite helpful in locating fuel, lodging and food. I highly recommend it!!

One aspect of upper Canada & Alaska is the length of the day. Juneau has over 17 hrs of daylight in June; Fairbanks has over 20 hrs. The necessity of having to ride an extra 80-100 miles for accomodations could still take place during daylight hours. In mid-June, we rode into Whitehorse, Yukon Territory at 1:00 AM and it was not dark. During the "darkest" time, it is just like immediately before sunrise or immediately after sunset.

I love to camp but I'm not sure that I will camp on my next trip to Alaska. It's a lot of gear to tote. We had sufficient cold-weather gear and provisions for several days. We were fortunate. The weather fully corporated and we passed thru several communities each day.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
. Leaving Jun 12, from Douglasville, GA, with the wife & no trailer but have a hitch rack, 6 weeks, and no camping. Made hotel/motel reservations for the duration (expensive) but don't camp. Hope I can stick to my scheduled route. Not going to camp; the wife and I will be 70 in less than a year: getting up there but ready to give it a try. Viva Alaska!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Till kickstands up, for me. Camping almost all of it. The excitement is starting to build.

Richard
Getting close now Richard. Take it all in and take your time. For me it was the greatest motorcycle adventure of my life. Thinking about doing it again next year. Good luck and safe riding.

Fred

1 - 20 of 113 Posts