GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing to stay in Montrose for a week during August 2019. Hopping to explore the back roads and mountains road during a 6 days of ride. I already planned 3 day ride and need advise from you local Wingers: Is the road from Bueno Vista (209), is paved all the way to Crested Butte ? Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am planing to stay in Montrose for a week during August 2019. Hopping to explore the back roads and mountains road during a 6 days of ride. I already planned 3 day ride and need advise from you local Wingers: Is the road from Bueno Vista (209), is paved all the way to Crested Butte ? Thank you.

Pass was closed in 2018 for paving work & other construction - according to an article fron August 2018 - it should be reopened in the spring

Cottonwood Pass road construction update

August 8, 2018 1,077 Views
Opening next spring

By Kristy Acuff
Work continues on the reconstruction and paving of Cottonwood Pass, with the Gunnison County (western) side of the pass slated to re-open next spring.
Construction also continues on the Chafee County (eastern) side of the pass that is tentatively scheduled to end in October.
Dirt work is ongoing to reconstruct 13 miles of the road that connects Gunnison County with Buena Vista before paving on the Gunnison County side can begin. Project engineers are still undecided about whether paving will commence this fall or next spring, according to Gunnison County public works director Marlene Crosby.
In the case that paving takes place next spring, the Gunnison side of the pass is scheduled to open with one-lane traffic.

Here's a CO-DOT link that will provide status of project.
https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/co/cottonwood/

Last time I was there a couple of years ago, the west side of pass down to Taylor Reservoir was not paved - but it is well packed , some wash boarding, but I did not have any issues last time I rode it on my Goldwing.

Here's a couple of YouTube videos I found that does a good job if showing the road conditions prior to any paving

This one from July 2012

And one from 2016

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the information and the video. Since when looking at the maps it look like the Cotonwood pass road which start in the East at Bueno Vista, continue to Cotonwood Pass, Taylor Park Reservoir, and END before reaching Crested Butte. Is there a road all the way from Bueno Vista to Crested Butte via Cotonwood Pass?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Is there a road all the way from Bueno Vista to Crested Butte via Cotonwood Pass?
No. That is VERY rugged country with not a lot of traffic, so the need for spending money on a paved road isn't justified. The dirt/gravel roads are in good shape for vehicles, but I wouldn't take a GL on it.

If the road gets paved thru to Taylor Park, 742 from Taylor to Almont is a NICE twisty paved road, then you can take 135. 135 has nice scenery, but isn't much of a fun road like 742, IMO. I stayed at Taylor Park last year. Off roading is BIG up there.

Reactions: DAN GOLDWING

·
Registered
100 Posts
No direct road - see directions & map
Cottonwood Pass
Head northwest on State Hwy 306 toward Co Rd 209

State Hwy 306 turns slightly right and becomes Co Rd 209
13.6 mi

Turn left onto Co Rd 742
19.3 mi

Slight right onto Jacks Cabin Rd
1.3 mi

Continue onto Jacks Cabin Cutoff
2.9 mi

Turn right onto CO-135 N
11.7 mi

Turn left onto Elk Ave
0.4 mi
Crested Butte

Attachments

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No direct road - see directions & map
Cottonwood Pass
Head northwest on State Hwy 306 toward Co Rd 209

State Hwy 306 turns slightly right and becomes Co Rd 209
13.6 mi

Turn left onto Co Rd 742
19.3 mi

Slight right onto Jacks Cabin Rd
1.3 mi

Continue onto Jacks Cabin Cutoff
2.9 mi

Turn right onto CO-135 N
11.7 mi

Turn left onto Elk Ave
0.4 mi
Crested Butte
Got It!! Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've done cottonwood pass on our GL1800 2-up a couple times. It's been a couple years. It was mostly smooth gravel. A few soft spots. You have to be comfortable on gravel, well, unless they paved it. It was easier on our R1200GS.

The other way to Crusty Butt from Punie Bunie is through Gunnison.

If you are into classic cars I recommend you check out the Gateway automotive museum. http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

Amazing museum in the middle of nowhere. Awesome road to and from Gateway. There is a resort there but I think the rooms start about $340/night

Lastly, watch the original True Grit before you go. It was filmed in Ridgeway and the surrounding area. You can recognized some of the town buildings and huge trees from the movie.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've done cottonwood pass on our GL1800 2-up a couple times. It's been a couple years. It was mostly smooth gravel. A few soft spots. You have to be comfortable on gravel, well, unless they paved it. It was easier on our R1200GS.

The other way to Crusty Butt from Punie Bunie is through Gunnison.

If you are into classic cars I recommend you check out the Gateway automotive museum. http://gatewayautomuseum.com/

Amazing museum in the middle of nowhere. Awesome road to and from Gateway. There is a resort there but I think the rooms start about $340/night

Lastly, watch the original True Grit before you go. It was filmed in Ridgeway and the surrounding area. You can recognized some of the town buildings and huge trees from the movie.
Thank you Charleetho for great advise. I will sure add Gateway automotive museum to my list of atractions to visit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts