GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the warm days approaching I know that once again I will be thinking about finding the "perfect" summer gloves. "Perfect" would mean providing reasonable protection should I end up on the ground, possibly sliding a bit and likely to extend my hands outward without even thinking about doing so, but cool enough not to be bathed in sweat behind the all-too-effective Goldwing fairing and windscreen. I found myself looking at Revzilla and identifying some possible gloves to try, but then fortunately went to my glove suitcase that I keep and found I was only a bit surprised to not only find about a dozen pairs of so-called summer riding gloves, but actually found two pair of gloves that I had forgotten about and had been considering buying from Revzilla earlier that same day! So right now I think I will not buy any new ones, and just keep a few pair of gloves in my trunk so that I can change gloves when one pair gets too hot and sweaty during a ride, but still dream about finding those "perfect" gloves that I can wear for hours on a hot summer day without feeling like my hands are in an oven.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaa "thanks" yep it's now time to purchase a pair myself.............. Thanks for the wonderful reminder!!

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
With the warm days approaching I know that once again I will be thinking about finding the "perfect" summer gloves. "Perfect" would mean providing reasonable protection should I end up on the ground, possibly sliding a bit and likely to extend my hands outward without even thinking about doing so, but cool enough not to be bathed in sweat behind the all-too-effective Goldwing fairing and windscreen. I found myself looking at Revzilla and identifying some possible gloves to try, but then fortunately went to my glove suitcase that I keep and found I was only a bit surprised to not only find about a dozen pairs of so-called summer riding gloves, but actually found two pair of gloves that I had forgotten about and had been considering buying from Revzilla earlier that same day! So right now I think I will not buy any new ones, and just keep a few pair of gloves in my trunk so that I can change gloves when one pair gets too hot and sweaty during a ride, but still dream about finding those "perfect" gloves that I can wear for hours on a hot summer day without feeling like my hands are in an oven.
This is exactly how I've ended up with 14 hammers.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
This is exactly how I've ended up with 14 hammers.
Same thing with waxes, cleaning products, etc. for the bike. For some reason I just can't refrain from buying the "latest & greatest" of those items. :mad:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have been wearing these gloves for the last 5 or so years. Amazon.com: Olympia 734 Digital Protector Motorcycle Sport Gloves (Black, Small): Automotive. I just bought my third pair as a back up in case I get caught in the rain like I did on blue ridge parkway last year. Very comfortable, last about 3 years of riding around 10,000 miles a year. My hands never felt like they were extremely warm and sweaty. Made of a mesh like material for the back of the hands that allow just enough air in to keep your hand comfortable. And finally, have hard knuckle protection and leather palms. Won't go for a ride with out them.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Revzilla had great deals I pulled the trigger on a pair of Klim Touring Summer Induction gloves felt really nice out on a ride today low 90's no sweat the humidity is not where it will be in a few months. That will be the test, but the ventalated really great.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Considering that I have two Motoport Kevlar riding suits I also invested in a pair of Motoport Kevlar riding gloves. I've had them for several years wearing them whenever the temps are warm enough that I don't need Gerbings heated gloves. They are pricey, but when the cost is spread over several years they are really not expensive. I've worn them through hot, humid weather and several heavy rains. They dry quickly. If they ever wear out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair. Here is the link:

·
Registered
791 Posts
I learned years ago you don't always have to buy something motorcycle specific. And, I learned years ago the best summer gloves for me have been deerskin gloves with no palm seam found at farm and ranch stores such as Tractor Supply Co. They are comfortable in hot weather, dry fairly quickly after riding in rain, and offer good abrasion resistance. About $20 a pair.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Go to home depot, lowes, or tractor supply nice summer gloves at half the price.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Get motorcycle gloves. A glove not made for motorcycle use even if tough as nails will peal right off your hands the instant you go sliding down the pavement, so think about how painful that is before you buy gloves at Home Depot ect. Some may be fine. Mandatory to have wrist strap of some fashion, otherwise don't use them as they won't do you any good. Same idea as wearing a helmet without strapping it on, not going to work in any crash.
I had the Held Airstream 2 and they were great. Right now I'll agree with a couple guys on the Klim Induction. They are real nice.

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
Get motorcycle gloves. A glove not made for motorcycle use even if tough as nails will peal right off your hands the instant you go sliding down the pavement, so think about how painful that is before you buy gloves at Home Depot ect. Some may be fine. Mandatory to have wrist strap of some fashion, otherwise don't use them as they won't do you any good. Same idea as wearing a helmet without strapping it on, not going to work in any crash.
I had the Held Airstream 2 and they were great. Right now I'll agree with a couple guys on the Klim Induction. They are real nice.
I've not yet seen a pair of lightweight, summer gloves, whether marketed as "motorcycle" gloves or not, that won't peel right off my hands the instant I go sliding down the pavement. A wrist strap won't prevent a lightweight, summer glove from peeling off as it slides down pavement. Pavement is not a respecter of marketing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've always been on the look out for a pair of summer gloves myself. Got a few requirements that I have never been able to find all together in one package. First is not black, to hot. Second, touch screen usable. Third not big bulky motorcross kinds with armor all around them. Motorcycle specific would be fine and probably the best but haven't found them yet.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Held summer gloves. Worn these for the last several summers. Best ever for ventilation, quality leather. It's called The Rodney for some reason. (A Euro thing.) Also in black. There's a US office on the west coast. I tore a seam a couple of years ago and they had a new pair to me in 3 days.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I've always been on the look out for a pair of summer gloves myself. Got a few requirements that I have never been able to find all together in one package. First is not black, to hot. Second, touch screen usable. Third not big bulky motorcross kinds with armor all around them. Motorcycle specific would be fine and probably the best but haven't found them yet.
See my post above.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Two pairs that works for me, both from company called Five. I believe it's an European company.

The first model is RS3, textile glove, lightweight, very comfortable.

The other one is Sportcity, perforated leather, short glove.

One important safety feature - they both have a "sliding puck" at the bottom of the palm, at spot that would hit the pavement first in a case of a slide. So they shouldn't twist or fall off or ripp as easy. I hope I won't check that feature ever.

Highly recommending both pairs. RS3 has been tested at summertime and they were great. Sportcity I got recently, only a couple of short rides with them but so far so good.

Decent price, too.

(first photo RS3, second photo Sportcity)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I bought the Motoport Kevlar racing gloves linked here in 2012 Motoport Racing Glove | Motoport USA and have actually tested them during a 45 mph low side slide on asphalt in 2014. The gloves prevented my palm from getting rash during an approx. 40-45' slide and I still have and wear the same pair I wore then in the summer. They are comfortable in high heat and humidity, they don't bleed dye into your skin and they dry fast after getting wet in the rain. I'm thinking of getting another pair, not because these are anywhere close to being worn out but rather in the event they stop making them as I see no reason they won't last 15-20 yrs outside of being in an accident.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I get my Summer gloves at a good Truck Stop. You can find some really tough yet airflow allowed gloves there, and usually a plus is that most are day glow yellow or orange. Bigger Truck Stops will have a larger variety to choose from. They make those gloves to last because they have to hold up to tying down heavy loads and dropping and hooking up Big Rig trailers; so they have to hold up to the abuse.

I have had these about 4 years now and only the dirt and faded day glow yellow show their age. There is not a single spot getting thin and my hands stay much cooler than any glove that came from a Motorcycle shop.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts