GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any good ideas for summer riding clothes for riding in Florida ? Very hot and high humidity. Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
It depends on how much heat you can take. I find that if I can keep my skin covered, I can ride longer. Think of it like a convection oven - it cooks quicker because the hot air is moving directly in contact with the food. I wear a sleeveless moisture-wicking undershirt. I have a Veskimo unit for use above 90 degrees. I wear that vest on top of the undershirt because it works better if it's not directly next to your skin. On top of that I wear a white long-sleeved World Wide Sportsman "fishing" button down shirt. It is very lightweight and we bought them at BassPro Shop. They were expensive but worth it to us. Again, the Veskimo works best if not against your skin and if under a shirt. Also the white shirt reflects the sun light and my skin is covered.

I see some riders with mesh jackets on in the heat of an August day out on the interstate highway. Don't know how they do it. I wish I could because I much prefer the protection of the armor.

I stay off of the interstate. It can be as much as 20 degrees hotter there. I don't ride anytime past noon unless it's a cloudy day. If we need to cover a lot of miles, we will leave before daybreak to give ourselves enough time to stop by noon.

You have to start to hydrate before you leave. Get a head start because it's difficult to catch up once you get behind. Drink 2 bottles of water before leaving and continue to drink water even if you are not thirsty. It really makes a difference. We have Butler cups on the bikes and keep them filled with ice water.

The Veskimo vests cooling system is expensive. We live here and often ride in the heat. If you are only visiting, it would be hard to justify the expense. Just ride early in the day and drink lots of water. You should be okay.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I was born and raised in this heat and humidity so I am somewhat accustomed to it. I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket all the time and I am comfortable to about 90 degrees. I wont stop riding then because of the heat. I become less comfortable after that but the enjoyment I get from riding outweighs that. I never ride without a jacket, long pants, boots, gloves and a helmet. I went down hard back in 2008 and skidded, rolled and tumbled over 100 ft. wearing the gear I just described and walked away with only screwing up some apparel and $7,500 damage to the bike.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I was born and raised in this heat and humidity so I am somewhat accustomed to it. I wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket all the time and I am comfortable to about 90 degrees. I wont stop riding then because of the heat. I become less comfortable after that but the enjoyment I get from riding outweighs that. I never ride without a jacket, long pants, boots, gloves and a helmet. I went down hard back in 2008 and skidded, rolled and tumbled over 100 ft. wearing the gear I just described and walked away with only screwing up some apparel and $7,500 damage to the bike.
:agree: I totally agree with what Capt. Bob said! Oh ya...other than the part where I was born and raised.:joke:

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
NAKED !!:bow::bow:;)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
another vote for armored mesh. I know its hot but worth it.

John

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Shorts, tennis shoes and a long sleeve shirt, or hawiian shirt, sunglasses and an ice chests, satellite radio, your set.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Shorts, tennis shoes and a long sleeve shirt, or hawiian shirt, sunglasses and an ice chests, satellite radio, your set.
​What, no flip-flops?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm a Florida native so the heat does not affect me so much as it is all I have ever known. I always wear a helmet, gloves, boots, long pants and a long sleeve dry tech type shirt and if it over 90 degrees I'll wear a cycle gear "heat out" undershirt and cap for under my helmet. If I'm traveling and on the interstate I'll also wear my Joe Rocket mesh jacket, I probably should wear the jacket more often. just my opinion but I always find it quite an odd look to see someone riding a Wing or a big dresser Harley while wearing shorts, it's just not a good look.

Oh, and always drink plenty of water.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
:agree:

I always wear mesh jacket, mesh pants, boots, gloves and full face helmet. But I also wear LD comfort long sleeve shirt that I wet down at each stop. Works like AC for about a half an hour before starting to dry out. That keeps me good to go for at least 2 hours, then rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Same stuff my wife and I wear up here in Wisconsin- T shirt, shorts and tennis shoes and helmet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts