GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good suggestions for keeping the harmful rays of the sun from buring through the face shields? My lady is constantly getting burns on her cheeks and nose. We've tried sunblock and other sun protection products but she still gets red in the face. Are there face shields for helmets that are designed to prevent these types or rays from getting to your face.? Maybe she is just overly sensitive to the sun.

Donnie

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Donnie, it's a pain in the a$$, but keep putting on the highest number SUNBLOCK that you can, and put it on often. When I'm outside, I put it on hourly. Since 97, I've been to the dermatologist at least twice a year for surgeries, creams, or nitrogen treatments for skin cancer. It is also cumulative, meaning that if you stay in the shade for a year, it doesn't go away.

Light complected, blue-eyed, red haired people such as Swedish, Irish and English are most susceptible (I'm the first two). The strange thing is, that the cancer can show up in places that don't see the sun. Tanning booths and certain common drugs can also contribute to the problem. The best thing you can do is look in the phone book for a dermatologist, and visit his/her office and pick up a free booklet. You'll be glad you did.

If you can't find one, let me know; I'm going in for more surgery on Wednesday, and will get you a pamphlet and mail it to you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
some face shields have a uv blocker in them...check with your manufacturer...other than that..and with that....I put on sun blocker with a 50 rating..and I put it on often. works for me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm no dermatologist but 50 sunblock aplied on a regular hourly basis saves my nose and cheeks.
Being blonde and blue eyed doesn't help with the sun exposure. For solo rides I generally wear a 1/2 helmet and always burn quite a bit unless I use the 50 sun block, and reapply about every hour or so.

Besides having an excuse to stop every hour or so makes for a more relaxed ride. IMHO

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes: :yes2:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Shoie and Arai helmets have shields with UV protection. Some others might also. It's one of the reasons their shields are so expensive. They go a long way towards protecting your face and eyes from the sun. With our full face helmets and lite tinted shields we have no need for sunblock on our faces ever.

You also need to be careful with the sunblock or fumes getting into your eyes. Might just blind you at an inoportune time.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
There is a product available, called Beaver 41. It is not found in regular stores generally. Usually the best place to find it is in Scuba shops, fly fishing stores and other sport stores. It has a very low amount of water in it and does not migrate(get in your eyes). It is equally good against UVA and B and its B that causes skin cancer. Most blocks are good against A but their Spf number might not be accurate against B. It is a very dry cream and a little bit goes a long way. It has to be good if you can use scuba diving and it does not come off. Very non greasy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A potential work of caution. There was a post a couple of years ago by a gentleman who was using sunblock on his face and also wore a full face helmet. Due to the circumstances of his ride, and I don't recall the particulars, the sun block put off a vapor that caused him to basically loose his eyesight temporarily and he almost crashed. Perhaps some of the other board members remember his post or maybe he is still visiting this site and can re-post his story.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also consider that some of the redness may be due to windburn, rather than sunburn.

Have her use a good skin moisturizer (liberally!) and perhaps try a bandana across her face.

Roy

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
If you apply sun block above your eyes it can mix with sweat and get in your eyes blinding you, I have had this happen to me!

Most tinted shields block UV rays, I am extremely sun sensitive, I wear an open face helmet with a flat competition shield and have no problem with sunburn on my face, I do apply some SPF-30 sun block on my cheeks and neck, they will get some UV reflected up from the painted surfaces.

Sunblock Can Kill You
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP016.html

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

Thanks for all the great ideas ... I'll be checking out some of these solutions. It's never been a problem for me just the lady and her comfort is everything as we all well know :)

Donnie

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
use the sunscreen labeled sports

I use the bannanna boat sport sunscreen, it does not blind you if it gets near your eyes, remember it must say sport.
JD
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts