GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With helmets now being designed with a tinted visor and clear visor, if someone didn't want to invest in a new one, has anyone gone the following route?

http://super-visor.com/

H

·
0 Posts
I took the visor that came with my helmet and a little jb weld and attatched it to the faceshield I installed on my helmet. Best of both worlds. Works great, faceshield with a visor. Same basic idea.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sun Visor

I wear Revo sunglasses when riding. Any sunglasses can be good except when heading directly into a sunrise or sunset on a motorcycle. I had a thought one morning on a 60 mile eastward ride into the sun all the way. I placed a strip of electrical tape on the rear of my sunglass lens. It's just enough to block the sun and not impair vision. The only disadvantage is when sitting in the first position at a stop light. I have to look up really high to see the light turn green.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Super Visor

I now have four of the Super Visors. I tried them on my HJC helmet and like them enough when I bought the Scorpion helmet I got two more. I have them mounted on both clear and tinted shields. I live West of where I work, so I ride looking into the Sun both going to work and back home. They work GREAT!!!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I have used the SuperVisor for a couple of years. Excellent product. I currently have a Nolan N-102 and the SuperVisor will not work well on it due to the flip down tinted sunvisor. The N-103 should be ok as the built in sunvisor has been moved to the inside.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Visor

Yes I have one on the full face and a spare. These work very well, sure beats looking into the sun.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes I use the SuperVisor on my flip up helmet. it works great. I also used Gorilla Tape to fill in where the sun gets in from the sides of the visor.:coffee1:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have bought 2 oand both of them fell off after a few months. The glue/tape gets gummy and soft and then they fail. When the last one fell off I got some heavy duty velcro and re-installed it with that. So far it has worked great. It really blocks the sun better than anything I have tried.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Black electricians tape on the stock flip up visor on a standard full face helmet works great and is very inexpensive.

Wayne
Yes that will work as will the "Sundowner" mentioned by DailyRider. The difference is the SuperVisor is a "Visor". It creates a large shade area around your eyes and if you have a BIG Snoz like me, it keeps the sun off it too! Black Tape and the Sundowner won't do that.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Talk about blocking the Sun... I have the N103 and have ridden directly into the Sun for hours using my sunglasses, the internal sun shield of the N103, AND a smoked visor....three layers....

Using a smoked visor is great... I've come to learn having a helmet that has shields that can be quickly changed is a major plus.... and is one of the main reasons I dumped my Nolan 102 and got a 103... much easier to change.

I would recommend anyone buying a helmet consider how easy the shield can be changed as a part of their decision... the shield should "pop" off and the new one "pop" on, with no special tools or having to remove and replace various parts or covers...

My Arai is this way, the new Nolan N103 is this way... certainly, any 3/4 helmet that the shield "snaps" on is this way...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i tried the supervisor

i rate it junk

wouldnt stick, and moron from the company had several excuses

i also did the black duct tape trick with decent results

for the last couple years i did get a nolan 42 with the two shields

i have not used sunglasses since then

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have the sunblocker it works great.It takes some getting use to because it's so dark that you can't really see through so you have to look down under the sunblocker.I will always have one on my helmets.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I bought the "Supervisor" just last month and installed it on my old Jarrow modular helmet. Installation involves a solvent that potentially could destroy your shield. Be carefull!

The visor does a good job of blocking the sun; better than the "sun blocker" I've used for years. It reminds me of a ball cap visor but I wish it was wider and covered more of the side view.

I lost the "Supervisor" about two weeks after installing it. When not riding my helmet is stored on a wall hook right above the trash can. The next time I went to use the helmet the "Supervisor" was gone. It must have come loose and fallen into the trash can. Unknowingly, I had emptied the trash a few days before and didn't notice the "Supervisor" in the trash.

I'm still looking for a helmet visor but I think I will try adapting a standard snap-on visor to the face shield. I'll ditch the snaps and use heavy duty emblem tape.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Anyone wear sunglasses anymore?

These products look really nice, some pros and some cons. Have bought similar items but have always gone back to the basics of clear. Black tape (if really needed). A roll resides in the tool pack. Now if I have to pack stuff that doesn't have multi-purpose written all over it, IT, will get tossed into the garage.

By the way, my current bucket is a Shoei Multitec. First ever helmet over ($), well, you know. Still trying to figure out why these are so much?

Ride Free,
Bobalou

·
Vendor
21,429 Posts
I had the SunDowner that goes on the outside of the shield, and it just blew off in the wind after a couple uses. http://www.cyclecrafts.net/Sundowner.html

I think the SunBlocker product that is on the supervisor page is better, since it goes inside the shield instead of outside. However, if you ride with the shield fully open, there is a potential for it to come off too.
http://super-visor.com/sunblocker.htm
But I wonder why you couldn't just go to any auto parts store and cut out some window tint to fit and do the same thing yourself a whole lot cheaper.

Be real careful about using electrical tape, or any tape for that matter, on your visor. It can, (and will) peel any scratch coating right off your visor. Ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts