GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just broke another pin in our Honda communictors. The first one was an easy fix; I managed to pull the broken pin out of the female plug on the helmet. $45 later, she was in business.

A couple weeks ago another pin broke...only this time I screwed up and bunged up the face of the plug and couldn't get the pin out.

So the new set for her helmet came on Friday, along with a Show-Chrome in line volume control.

We're sooooooo upset. The plug on the VC won't even stay in the plug end. I'm no superman, but I know you want to push these plugs together any harder than I did. Nothing works.

My question is: Why and how can Direct Line continue to ship these out with the Honda communicators, knowing that they don't fit?

I'll call them Monday....see what they say.

What are my options?

TIA

Dave

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Never heard of this issue before. I hope you get speedy resolution from HDL.

prs

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PR

When I ordered the volume controller, there was a comment about the plugs not fitting properly, but I didn't get the sense it wouldn't work @ all. That comment fella posted his in 2007 or earlier as I recall.

I figured any problem like that would have been fixed by now.

I'm happy with prior business with DL...we've added a bunch of bling from them. I'm sure they'll make it right, butr we were looking forward to Nancy having control of her volume....apparently I'm going deaf.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Have no experience with the VC you are referring to but let me address the broken pins.

Women have a difficult time plugging in polarized connectors. Rather than feeling the fit like most men do, they apply pressure and twist. I have seen this many times with people we ride with. There is an arrow on most female connectors with lines up the the detent on the headset cord. Once they learn to line these up things get much better.

Have been riding gold wings since they came out and have never heard of one person have as much trouble with connectors as you are having.

Just me $.02.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
The best thing to do is plug your wife's in. I agree that women jut don't have the "feel" to do this. Therefore to save myself grief I do all the plugging in.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I know you are upset.And no doubt DLP will swap this defective cord out for you.
But seriously why blame DLP.They don't make the parts! They just sell them.
If you think for a minute that every vendor opens each package to test each itme before they ship them,then you will de disappointed with ever vendor out there my friend.

The cost to provide such a service would go through the roof.They wouldn't sell a thing and fold,then people would whine "Why don't they sell things for my bike anymore?"

Calm down and talk to DLP and get it sorted out or buy a different brand of headsets and go from there.
Life is to short to stress out over the small stuff.

·
Registered
826 Posts
with the volume controller I have I had to roll the plastic cover on the cord back for it to plug in. I used a hair dryer to soften the plastic and then rolled it back, suppose you could cut it off but I thought I might need it again sometime so I just rolled it back

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Have no experience with the VC you are referring to but let me address the broken pins.

Women have a difficult time plugging in polarized connectors. Rather than feeling the fit like most men do, they apply pressure and twist. I have seen this many times with people we ride with. There is an arrow on most female connectors with lines up the the detent on the headset cord. Once they learn to line these up things get much better.

Have been riding gold wings since they came out and have never heard of one person have as much trouble with connectors as you are having.

Just me $.02.

Have a great day.
After my wife broke a pin, I started watching her plug in and sure enough, she was twisting when unplugging. Showed her how to do it and no more problems in four years. We have J&M stuff.

Once when we were suiting up in a rain storm, her plug touched the ground and picked up a little mud. A little rock in the mud broke a pin when she plugged in.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Use a 2 piece cord, leave both pieces plugged into the bike and disconnect them where the 2 piece cord hooks together, If your passenger has trouble connecting the 2 put a mark on each side of the plug and all they have to do is line up the marks.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts

Just me $.02.

Have a great day.
Buck thanks for the reply, i always wondered how folks broke those pins, on my cords i used a yellow paint stick to put a small yellow line on the cords to make it easier to line them up when plugging in, works great :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm in the process of obtaining head sets so I'm making special note of this gender issue. I can see painting some line up marks on her two ends might be in order here.

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
If you have a problem with a particular brand--then switch brands:shrug:

J & M. It is not chrome but who cares:lol:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I couldn't find it in a search but they are out there. My wife kept breaking her pins so we found a Hondaline 2 piece cable and the cured her issue. The pigtail cable hooks to the headset is long enough for her to see to hook it up to the main cable from the bike. It has a "D" shape so it can only go together one way.

Bryan

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this is kind of funny, but it's not the wife's that broke, either time.

I am rather careful with gadgets and can't say that twisting was ever part of the plug in, though you do have to rotate the plug to line up the pins and that groove on the edge. Since replacing the second cord, we have decided to leave the helmet side of the connectrion plugged in and connect @ the bike ends, where the connector is stronger. Time will tell how long they last.

Rocky, I disagree with your assessement od responsibility of the supplier. If I'm on the Honda Gold Wing section of the web site and they offer a VC for a head set, it needs to be right....period. It's called accountability, and there's less and less of that around every day. With today's technology, it should be on their web site Monday afternoon....this VC is not compatable with GL1800's. Then I'll emailthem and politely ask to remove this assessory from their Goldwing section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts