GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been back from ROT for several weeks and had a hankering for some more good BBQ. I got to thinking where was the closest OK Texas BBQ, not necessarily great BBQ but at least OK BBQ and I came up with Lum's in Junction, TX. A quick check with MapQuest showed Junction to be 750 plus change miles from my house in Tucson....hummm let's see, 750 there, 750 back makes 1500 miles.... Perfect for a BBG besides I can't let Glenn (GlockJock) have all the fun running up and down I-10 in the summer :).

The only problem was when. MsBubba had to work this weekend, I still had a lot to do to finish getting the kitchen ready for the new cabinets I'm building but it is ready for paint and MsBubba will not let me paint with out adult supervision i.e. MsBubba's, so I had nothing to do Sunday. I took a nap Saturday afternoon and when MsBubba made it home from work Saturday evening I was ready to go, kissed her and patted Sam the Wonder Dog on the head, or was it the other way around (when you get to my age it's hard to remember) and threw a leg over the Dirty Fat Girl. About 11 hours later I had a plate of ribs and brisket in front of me and was a happy Texan.

I made it back to Tucson in time to complete a BBG, just a few minutes after MsBubba made it home from work. Sam was happy to see me, I still can't remember who to kiss.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Most people "own" motorcycles.

Some "ride" motorcyles.

And, then, there a few who are serious about "riding". :thumbup:

A couple years ago, during "Winter", I rode to the Hard 8 for some BBQ.

I'm guessing it wasn't your first BBG. If it was, congrats. :yes1:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Wow you must really like BBQ!
As Forrest Gump would say...."that's all I have to sat about that"!

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I took a nap Saturday afternoon and when MsBubba made it home from work Saturday evening I was ready to go and threw a leg over the Dirty Fat Girl. About 11 hours later I had a plate of ribs and brisket in front of me and was a happy Texan.

I made it back to Tucson in time to complete a BBG Sam was happy to see me, I still can't remember who to kiss.

Now that is very very impressive!

Congrats! :bow:

Goes to show that middle aged guys still have what it takes. :p

:thumbup:

·
Administrator
3,801 Posts
Ride 1500 miles for BBQ? Sounds like a perfect excuse for a good ride to me.

Congratulations on a tough ride.

When I did mine last week there was a noticible lack of motorcycles on I-10. I probably saw fewer than 10 bikes in the 1600 miles on the highway. How about you? Any more Road Rats out that way?

Again, congratulations. Now, go paint those cabinets.

Glen

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Great ride. Ken. Wow 110 degree wx! In my mind it's a perfect trade off. eat all you want and sweat it off on the way home=zero calories.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great ride. Ken. Wow 110 degree wx! In my mind it's a perfect trade off. eat all you want and sweat it off on the way home=zero calories.
Remember I wear "magic panties" :), not much sweat for this guy. BTW, did you ride the ST or the Wing on your 1088...whichever great job.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow you must really like BBQ!
As Forrest Gump would say...."that's all I have to sat about that"!
If you have ever had good Texas BBQ you would understand :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most people "own" motorcycles.

Some "ride" motorcyles.

And, then, there a few who are serious about "riding". :thumbup:

A couple years ago, during "Winter", I rode to the Hard 8 for some BBQ.

I'm guessing it wasn't your first BBG. If it was, congrats. :yes1:
Somewhere among the old coots accolades is a 50CC...

BBG for BBQ - makes sense to me!
Now that is very very impressive!

Congrats! :bow:

Goes to show that middle aged guys still have what it takes. :p

:thumbup:
Thanks guys...Gramps, just because you have a couple of years on me no need for name calling :).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ride 1500 miles for BBQ? Sounds like a perfect excuse for a good ride to me.

Congratulations on a tough ride.

When I did mine last week there was a noticible lack of motorcycles on I-10. I probably saw fewer than 10 bikes in the 1600 miles on the highway. How about you? Any more Road Rats out that way?

Again, congratulations. Now, go paint those cabinets.

Glen
BTW, I think that should be a new certified ride "BBG for BBQ". Only rule is it has to be Texas BBQ. Truthfully is there any other kind? :)

There were a few more, almost no Wings, a few slow moving HDs with guys looking like they were burning up and almost as many sports bikes or sports tourers as the HDs.

No road rats other than a couple of road pizzas, I timed it to hit West Texas after sunup for that reason and to enjoy....cough, cough...the 80 mph speed limit. Love my ECW equipment, the LEOs were out in force along I-10 and for some reason they were really hassling the citizens, most stops had 'em going through the trunks of the stopped car with the operators standing 20-30 feet in front of the vehicle. Go figure.

BTW I may have figured out why my mileage is so bad I can't make Fort Stockton-Junction with out a stop in Sonora for fuel anymore. Always before I have made that run using Wing speed, for the last few trips across I've used Garmin speed. Maybe next time across I will not be on the clock and I will test it out but I'll bet I'm right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts