GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember back in the the early 80's a super bike was a motorcycle that was 1000 cc or bigger. is that still true today ? or is it 1500cc or bigger. is a harley a super bike? or a goldwing or just street bikes a hyabusa? i there such a thing as a super bike ?

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
For me, the term Superbike brings to mind 1000cc and up Sportbikes, not cruisers or touring bikes....although some of todays new cruisers can turn 1/4 mile times nearly as fast as the Superbikes of the late 70's could.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I think my 1800 is a superbike.

As a matter of fact, I told Traxxion they should have some neat decals made up that say:

"Traxxion Super Wing"

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The superbike that started it all ... '73 KZ900 as soon as they changed from babbit to roller bearings on the crank shaft

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
salyzyn said:
The superbike that started it all ... KZ900
AGREE! The Z1!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
littlejoe1227 said:
i remember back in the the early 80's a super bike was a motorcycle that was 1000 cc or bigger. is that still true today ? or is it 1500cc or bigger. is a harley a super bike? or a goldwing or just street bikes a hyabusa? i there such a thing as a super bike ?
To me "super bike" is defined by the racing class.

Currently AMA superbike & World Superbike is limited to 1000cc production based sport bikes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How about the one right before that, the H2. I had the 900 and my cousin had the H2. He would take me in the quarter but after that it was BY BY

Dave

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
salyzyn said:
The superbike that started it all ... '73 KZ900 as soon as they changed from babbit to roller bearings on the crank shaft
Actually, it was a Z1 900

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is a 1972 H2

and a 1980 Z1R Turbo

and a new version of an old superbike

Ride safe, Mike in NJ

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
The CB 750 Four was a awesome machine in it's day. They were everywhere in the mid seventy's and the aftermarket could turn them into a touring bike or a sportbike. The 1976 CB 750 Four was my first street bike at the age of seventeen. I had two K models, a 76 and a 73 model and one 1977 F2 model. The 73 model had a 836 engine kit in it and that bike was as fast or faster depending on the rider as a Z1. It was fast, but it would wobble and didn't handle all that well. The 1977 F2 was a very nice bike and much better in every way than the K models.

The late seventy's brought us the horsepower wars and I then moved on to the much faster bikes like Yamaha's XS1100 and then in the eighty's, to Suzuki's GS1100 and then to Kawasaki's GPZ1100 and then to the best Superbike I ever had which was the 1984 Kawasaki 900 Ninji.

While all the other superbikes before 1984 had a engine, none had a chassis as competent as Kawaski's 900 Ninji. Not only was Kawasaki's then new liquid cooled six speed 900 faster on top end than the air cooled 1100's of it's day, that machine just begged you to find fast corners, had great brakes and would do 155 mph on the speedometer everytime I ever tried it and it didn't wobble at all at any speed. My fastest time at the 1/4 mile was a 11.10 et which was very fast in 1984. The 900 Ninji was truely ahead of it's time in 1984. I rode that bike for eight years before having a few kids and a mortgage sidelined me from motorcycles for awhile.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
markj said:
The superbike that started it all ... KZ900

AGREE! The Z1!!!
I had one, up until my buddy wiped me out in a mile run on his 1976 wing :) I been on wings ever since and that was 1978 or so. :)
I never knew anyone who could blow away a Z1 with a wing in those days.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Turboz1r said:
This is a 1972 H2

Mike in NJ
:shock: That was a truly awsome thing to ride. A good friend owned one for many years.

I also managed to ride the 500 version, (I rebuilt it for another mate).Good for wheel stands etc, but the handling was terrible. The 1/4 mile times seem archaic now.

Trev.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello Aus,

I was lucky enough to ride a 500 also, and have the 750 shown here. They are a lot of fun to ride, although they were the performance leader in their day, they can't compare to the modern bikes. Still lots of fun to hear the expansion chambers on the street.

Take care, Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Turboz1r said:
Hello Aus,

I was lucky enough to ride a 500 also, and have the 750 shown here. They are a lot of fun to ride, although they were the performance leader in their day, they can't compare to the modern bikes. Still lots of fun to hear the expansion chambers on the street.

Take care, Mike
Yep... nothing like the sound of an old Kawi. My first street bike when I turned 16 was a green 1974 750 Mach IV. Put a Kerker 3 into 1 header on it and it sounded sweet. I sure got my share of women as I was one of just a few kids that rode a motorcycle to school.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I owned a 1979 Yamaha XS1100. Purty fast bike with a drive shaft .

Rode a 750 Kaw bike that was 'worked' a bit. WOW.... still comes to my mind about that ride. fast bikes in their day.

8)

·
Registered
7,199 Posts

The Kawasaki H2 was the streetbike I lusted over when I was 13 years old. I loved the stying of the bike back then, it just looked so racy to a 13 year old....and it looked so much bigger back then too. Remember when a Z1 was a huge motorcycle...it looks so small now :lol:

I remember Kawasaki's mag. ads at the time saying " our H1 500 is faster than everybody's elses 750...but are own" And they were.

I still remember the deep sound of that big 2 stroke engine and the sight of a older friend riding away from my house on a H2, just hitting the throttle and the front end lifted effortlessly with blue smoke just pouring out of all the exhaust pipes. It was a very impressive sight for a 14 year old and I wanted one so bad, but by the time I was really to ride a streetbike at seventeen the H2 was dead and there were much better motorcycles to be had.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts