GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 Goldwing 1800 with 4400 miles on it and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Super Brace.
I am considering ordering one. Have not noticed any tire cupping on the front but wanted to get a Super Brace if the response indicates it would help minimize it.

Also, I run original equipment Bridgestones with 40 psi rear and 36 front, which is what is marked on the tire as the max. Any comments on increasing pressure to help minimize cupping would be appreciated as well.

·
Chard Member
13,047 Posts
Lee.......As far as the Super Brace is concerned, I think your money could be spent anywhere on the 1800 more wisely. Everything I have seen and heard is that it does nothing for the 1800.

I have gone through 3 sets of OEM Stones. Best results came from 40front 42 rear. 36 psi is not the max pressure in the front tire. I think the max in both is 42! I will guarantee that your front will cup real bad and real soon if you keep it down at 36psi.

Good Luck and Welcome to the board........

·
Registered
3 Posts
A friend of mine got a super brace and he always says he's sorry he bought it and next time he would save his money. He is the only one I have asked so this may not be a good way to deside one way or the other.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I installed a super brace when new and changed front tire at about 10,000 miles,,no cupping, I kept the front pressure at 40 lbs. Don't know if the brace kept the Bridgestone from cupping or the air pressure?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a Superbrace on my '01 and in all honesty cannot tell the difference. I only had it put on because a buddy was having one installed at Wing Ding by the manufacturer on his '82 Wing and I quite simply succumbed to the "me too" syndrome. Plus it was over priced by Super Brace. Save your money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed a super brace after replacing the OEM bridgestone tire that was cupping bad after 5000 miles. This tire was replaced under warrenty because the decel shaking/wobble was a "safety" issue. With the 2nd bridgestone, then a Dunlop and now Metzler, I do not have cupping. But I have seen cupping on other 1800's that have the brace installed but this can also be loose steering head bearings. So, no promise a brace will fix cupping for evryone.

Bottom line = Most people with a brace that are agressive riders and ride hard in the twisties do notice a stability improvement with the brace.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have run my 02 1800 with 3 to 4 puunds over the max, both front and rear. I now have almost 12,000 miles on the original front tire and it does show cupping. However I am not even thinking of changing it yet because I still have plenty of tread left and I really have to lean it in a corner to feel the cupping. I am not intending to tell anyone what to do, only what seems to have worked for me.

I think some of the cupping is caused by the riding conditions. I am not a real aggressive rider as my experience is not as much as other people.

Several more seasoned riders that have looked at the front tire really are amazed how many miles are on it and how good it still is. Probablly about 6,000 or miles have been towing a trailer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is only one dampener in the forks, and it is on the right hand side. The SuperBrace will tie the two forks together and let the dampener react better with both pistons. This prevents camber changes while pushing a 1000 pound vehicle through the corners. Front end reaction is more predictable. This is my experience, not my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 02 and have ridden with and with out the Super Brace installed.
My experience is most positive, I love the way this bike handles with the Super Brace much more than with out it. “Money well spent”

Marc

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 02 and have ridden with and with out the Super Brace installed.
My experience is most positive, I love the way this bike handles with the Super Brace much more than with out it. “Money well spent”

Marc

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have the Super Brace and I think it does stiffen up the front forks and I also think it is money well spent. I have ridden the bike before and after the brace and there is a difference. Just by the design it has to stiffen up the forks. Without the brace the forks can twist when ridden hard in corners. With the brace they can't twist.

·
Chard Member
13,047 Posts
Question for the SuperBrace Faithful!.......

I am curious if you Guys get the bike onto the sides of the tires and touch the case guards? Is this where the brace helps? I just can't see where it would benefit the 1800 since it seems to be very stable at all angles! At least it is stable with Stones and Metzlers! :)

If it will help me I will buy one in a minute! I just had Progressive springs installed in the front to help keep me from dragging my exhaust covers and crash bars in the corners!

·
Registered
13 Posts
“Reduce speed wobbles, front tire wear, rain groove sensitivity and help improve overall handling”. This is a quote from Super Brace web site. It really does work and there is a 30 day no quibble guarantee. Installs in a few minutes, so what do you have to lose ? Give it a try and if you don’t think it lives up to it’s claims, send it back..

Marc

·
Registered
990 Posts
Wingman: before you run up another flag. I find that the brace works for me and it does what they say it does. If you don't agree that doesn't make it BS.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts