GL1800Riders Forums banner

Super Brace

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  BigD 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a Superbrace on there bike? I would like to know if they have found a difference when they ride.
I want one if you think it makes a difference, otherwise my 02 gl1800 is fine as it is. thanks John

#2 ·
A super brace is one of those accessories that gets mixed reviews so there really isn't a clear concensus of it being a worthwhile addition. I too, early on thought it was something I wanted to add, but I got enough feedback from users and former users to convince me I could spend that money more wisely on other items for my bike. I'd be curious how the results would be on some blind testing of a few products in the Goldwing line to see if we'd have the same reaction and feel for a product if we weren't certain if we had it on or not. In the end, if you want it and feel your bike handles better with it than without it, that's probably the most important person who has to be happy.

I've certainly gotten along just fine without one as have many others. I'd do more research on this to determine if it was really necessary. I don't think so, but there are a few advocates that disagree.

DaleC

#3 ·
Boy your going to open a can of worms with this subject. There was a poll done a couple of mounths ago, do a search, and it should come up.I have a Super Brace on and can tell a difference .I like them. Your going to get alot of opinions on this. Just make sure that they say they have tried an SB. Several will tell you that they heard, or they don't see the need for one. If they havent been there or done that, they really dont know. Good luck
Mick :yw1:

#7 ·
brace

I've had the super brace on all my wings except the 1800, progressive suspension states the brace is not necessary, also Stu the wing tech states it is not necessary, that's good enuf for me.
JD
:biker:

#9 ·
Gladiator said:
Use your own judgement. I am not going to comment on this one it causes too many conflicting opinions. All I will say is that I have one and I like it. If, for nothing more than to protect the bottom of my engine from debris thrown up by the front tire. It's your call. :)
If it is protecting the bottm of your engine you need to check your installation. :D

#10 ·
I have had one since Wing Ding '03 (Madison, WI) and mine is mounted above the front tire. I thought it was supposed to be attached to the front forks. I guess I better dig out the install instructions. I ride fairly agressive and I cannot honestly tell any difference in the bike's handling performance.

#12 ·
:cry: Had the Super Brace on my 1800 for about a month bike rode like a rock other then that I couldnt tell any difference in handling at all, In my opinion they are a waste of money on the 1800. Made a big difference on my 1500 though.Save your money for some safety chrome. :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

#13 ·
That's what happens when ,at my age, I try to do two things at the same time. What I meant to say was that I have the super brace and am happy with it. wether or not it stiffens up the forks is a personal call. To me it feels as though that the super brace does stiffen up the front end. I also have the Tulsa belly pan and that I bought to protect the engine if for nothing else. I hope I have gained back my credibility with this new post, and disregard the rantings of that other person who wrote that silly post. :oops:

#14 ·
For some reason or another, I felt the need for the SB and put it on after about 1,000 miles. I have about 17,000 on it now and do feel that it handles just a bit better. It may all be mental, but I feel better with it. Have ridden a couple of bikes without it and feel that they are a bit soft. One persons opinion.

#19 ·
I have a super brace on my new 04. There is a difference in the low speed wobble if you have that problem. I installed it on the advise from a person whos opinion I respect. The major benefit he mentioned was overall front tire wear and cupping and he pointed out some other 1800's in the shop that were cupping. I guess I will find out at the end of this next season if I should still respect his opinion..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.