GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The traffic was not bad, gorgeous weather, the land is extremely green and lush, animals everywhere and the lake is at the second highest level since they began taking records.

We took the East Entrance from Cody up to Fishing Bridge then turned north to Canyon Village for lunch, then over to the north rim drive to see Yellowstone falls. After that, north over Dunraven Pass and Hayden valley then over towards the NE Entrance via the Spectacular Lamar Valley where we say many herds of thousands of buffalo.

One through Cooke City, to 296 again for our third ride over Chief Joseph where we did a little creative video taping (to be seen in a later video), took our group photo at the Dead Indian Pass rest area, then took the down hill twisties at a "Pretty good clip" and one in to Cody for Dinner tonight at the Proud Cut Saloon.

We have had a fantastic Four Days in Cody. The Chances are heading to Jackson Hole and then on to Colorado, and we are heading to N. Colorado, then home.

What a great week and I have about 100GB of new video of the Big Horns (14 and 14A Loop) , Chief Joseph and BTP twice, then the Yellowstone day.

On to collect more video for editing this fall.

You guys should get out here. This year's record snow fall has all the elevated areas still with snow, fast melting, streams running strong and the meadows are so lush and the wildlife are getting fat and happy.

Stunning area of the country. I never get tired of it.

cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
yellowstone

Just got back from there last week. Had a great time. Weather was super, lots of snow in the woods. Saw a tour bus full of kids stopped along the road and all the kids in the woods in flip/flops and shorts having a great snowball fight.
Saw lots of buffalo, a grizzly bear, black bear, etc. Also stopped for the night in Durango and Cody. Great food and the rodeo was going on in Cody with lots of cowboy hats in sight. We went up there to escape the heat in NM and AZ. Stopped for a day at wingding on Wed, then home today around lunch time.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Some dude got eaten by a bear yesterday there.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was a hiker and he either encountered or harrassed a momma bear with cubs - very much the wrong thing to do. First fatal mauling since 1986.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
was a hiker and he either encountered or harrassed a momma bear with cubs - very much the wrong thing to do. First fatal mauling since 1986.
I don't believe that is the correct story...

I think he just ended up between the cubs and the mom....and the mom did what she instinctually does...take out any threat. They are taking no action on the mom for the killing...as they shouldn't.

I could be wrong...it was 2am when I saw the story on the news.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The story I read reported that the hikers said they had seen the bears several times before this during their hike. Even if I had a .454 on my hip, I'd have un-a$$ed the area several sightings ago!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe after a fatal bear mauling, relocation is mandatory.

what ever the details, I'm surprised this does not happen more often.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dr. Jim...
I just hope that you don't let work get in the way of your editing this winter!!
Sure do enjoy them...

AG GL

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks AG. Collecting LOTS of raw video this summer for several videos to come. They take lots of time to log, research facts, voice over, find the right music, edit in correctly in a way that tells a story but still fun for us to watch, then master etc. etc.

BUT I do enjoy it and have plans for many to come. I have the site www.TwoWheelTouring.org, but nothing is there right now. need some help getting a video blog going. Only Place to find them now is my YouTube Channel at MyTwoWheelTouring.

Appreciate the comments!! Got some GREAT stuff on this trip to WY, MT and Yellowstone!!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Great looking pics there Doc!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks again for the updates. Going to the Glaicer then Yellowstone. It'll be my Bride's 1st time out there as well as that far on the Wing.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The deceased and his wife got in between the cubs and mama. Bad situation.

One of my professors was a Grizzly expert and researcher. He had the same thing happen to him in 1977, although he lived. But he lost his left eye and a lot a flesh on his face and elsewhere (he's kinda scary looking now). He said he just suprised the mama bear and she went after him to protect her cubs. He said it was just plain bad luck.

But I'm a little surprised that the Grizzlys are roaming this close to the roads and built up tourist locations. 30 or 40 years ago you really had to get into the back country to find them most of the time. This couple was not on a remote trail...

I love Yellowstone. It's a family favorite. We have a great picture of my grandfather in 1903 cooking a trout in a hot pot next to Yellowstone lake!

2,732 Posts
Enjoy the trip

Dr. Jim, Great to hear your tales and see your pics of your "tripping on wing" (could that be a title of your blog?). Anyway, for those of us who are "work bound", it's nice to imagine we are along on the trip. I recall our ride over Bear Tooth Pass several years ago. It's hard to believe all the snow in the high country yet. Cameron Pass and Rabbit Ears Pass were snow covered too....looks like some of it might not melt by next winter.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Actually, I'm considering selling the 'wing- I can just watch your videos!!

AG GL

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I don't believe that is the correct story...

I think he just ended up between the cubs and the mom....and the mom did what she instinctually does...take out any threat. They are taking no action on the mom for the killing...as they shouldn't.

I could be wrong...it was 2am when I saw the story on the news.
Wroung place to be :eek:4::coffee1:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Great pics man - that's one place I want to see. Had the opportunity once when we were moving from Texas to Washington, but the schedule drove us past.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
You're making me sad!! Used to live near Bozeman, MT and can still kick myself for leaving there. That part of the country has to be among the most scenic and fun to ride there is. Thanks for the pics. Glad you are enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
When it gets too cold to ride you should consider a trip to Yellowstone and go Snow Mobiling.

We have done it twice. The place is beautiful in the winter as well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts