I need a memory refreshment. What is the item number of this filter for an '02

·
Registered
595 Posts
SuperTech (Wal-Mart) Oil Filter # ST6607

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yep, ST6607 or the larger/longer ST7317 but seldom in stock.
These fit many many Honda models.
This is a good reference chart for motorcycle oil filter cross reference.
The Super-Tech filters are shown to be made by Champion. They also make the filters for Mobil1 and Bosch (not saying they are the exact same or not).

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
According so some posts a few years ago, SuperTech filters are not the same as they were 10 years ago. Apparently the quality of the filter is not what it used to be. However, I don't think any engine failures have been attributed to the changed filter. Since I can't get Purolator filters from Walmart, I'm now using Wix and Bosh, but I don't think it really matters.

·
Registered
541 Posts
According so some posts a few years ago, SuperTech filters are not the same as they were 10 years ago. Apparently the quality of the filter is not what it used to be. However, I don't think any engine failures have been attributed to the changed filter. Since I can't get Purolator filters from Walmart, I'm now using Wix and Bosh, but I don't think it really matters.
You may well be right, I don't know about that or have any documentation either way. All I do know is the last ones I bought (automotive use) were labeled as "made in USA" (perhaps that doesn't mean a lot either, but makes me at least feel better about perceived quality and more than you can probably say for a lot of others) and filtering media removing particles greater than 30 microns at 99% efficiency. "Meet or exceed all OEM quality requirements for fit and function"
Good enough for me and most of the stuff in the garage, shop and shed.
The info in the CalSci link was from 2017, so relatively current.

·
Administrator
4,023 Posts
...and speaking of microns, back in the day when I was still employed, I worked in machining. We were told that the naked eye can see down to 45 microns, the human hair was approx. 90 microns. So, just guessing, anything smaller than what can be see without magnification, is filtered out, is probably doing a pretty decent job.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, please use quality oil filters to protect your engine! I'm a former Mobil Oil marketing rep and can tell you quality oil and filters are critical.

NAPA Gold oil filters, Wix, Bosch, Purolator are solid for inexpensive.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I may be way off base here but I'm pretty sure the original poster was only looking for the part number of the Super Tech oil filter for his '02 GL1800.
I doubt he was looking for guidance on which filter he should use outside of that.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I read the linked reviews in post #7 linked to by jtdunc.
The author is a guy named Anthony Becker.
OK. I read down to the bottom of his reviews and see this disclosure:

Amazon Affiliate Disclosure
Yourbestpicks.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

OK, now this makes sense. This is just a paid advertising link to Amazon.
Does Anthony Becker have any technical cred to write and publish his article?
Was any testing done, or is Anthony just regurgitating data he has found on the 'net and he happened to organize and filter (pun intended) this data to write the article for remuneration?
I have no idea.
So, I read this article with mild interest, but certainly do not trust it for any guidance in buying oil filters for any of my vehicles.

It seems the article was written to solely provide links to amazon for the purpose of purchasing any one of these filters through amazon.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I know I'll be slammed for this, but why not just use the Honda OEM filter. The difference in price is isn't worth the aggravation.
For me, the closest Honda shop is over 50 miles away and it is much cheaper and more convenient to get Amazon to ship me a filter with the oil I buy from them.

·
IronMan
17,105 Posts
What aggravation?
I agree easier finding a Walmart "nationwide" then a dealer . closet one to me 20 miles and then hope they have it

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Sorry, I have two dealers close to me. One 11 miles away and one 2 miles away.
I normally buy three from an online place when I order other stuff.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Larry when your done, changing oil/filter and it warms up a little, let's go for a ride (we both need it) I replaced my oil/filter and radiator fluid with the 50/50 mixture and plugged in my battery maintainer when I put her away for the season, the only thing left for me to do is to change those spark plugs, and replace clutch fluid...and hopefully she'll start right up and purrrrrrrr like a kitten.....GENTLEMAN "START YOUR ENGINES".Hope to ride with you soon! Oh yea, don't forget to charge up your Sena
Ronnie

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I need a memory refreshment. What is the item number of this filter for an '02

The ST4967 also works....!! Possibly more available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts