GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in my attempts to correct the wobble in my new 2010 GL1800, and after reading many reviews posted here, I purchased a Superbrace http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2318.

The installation was very easy even though it took me a bit of understanding to know where the "pinch bolts" were located. (this is my first wing so I am still on a learning curve). I can say that my slow turns are a bit more stable, and some of the bumps and curbs are not as bone jarring to hit. The wobble unfortunately is very much untouched and still alive. Living in Kansas makes finding a Trax dealer almost impossible,...sigh. :-( But I'm guessing that this is the only thing that will correct the wobble issue.

I do want to mention tho that I during my installation of the brace, I called them to ask a question about mounting, and they were very nice and very accommodating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
Fork braces usually, and I stress that as motorcycles are a law unto themselves!, address fork flex which manifests itself in low speed wandering or line deviation when bumps are encountered at higher speed.

Wobbles usually come from different sourses so before you spend a fortune on suspension changes you might consider trying the following:-

1. Check tyre for any signs of cupping or other nasties
2. Reballance tyre
3. While the front wheel is off loosen and retourque your steering head bearings and then check for any play, notchiness or other antisocial tendancies. (If you find a problem do yourself a favour and put tapered bearings in).
4. Look for any obvious fork leg damage or bending.
5. Reinstall the front wheel as per the Honda bible. make sure you give the front end a good bounce up and down to square everything up before you tighten the pinch bolts. Make sure you use a torque wrench and not the grunt and squint method.

All of the above you can do yourself or get a compitent mechanic to do in pretty quick time and reasonably economically.

If that does not work It is off to the experts with cheque book in hand!.

Just an long shot thought as it is unlikely on a wing, you may want to break out the string line and check the wheel alignment. A couple of (chain driven) bikes in my past would have wobbles at various speeds if the wheel alignment was not spot on.

Whatever the problem is I hope you can fix it cheaply and quickly.

Regards

Michael G

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Well in my attempts to correct the wobble in my new 2010 GL1800, and after reading many reviews posted here, I purchased a Superbrace http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2318.

The installation was very easy even though it took me a bit of understanding to know where the "pinch bolts" were located. (this is my first wing so I am still on a learning curve). I can say that my slow turns are a bit more stable, and some of the bumps and curbs are not as bone jarring to hit. The wobble unfortunately is very much untouched and still alive. Living in Kansas makes finding a Trax dealer almost impossible,...sigh. :-( But I'm guessing that this is the only thing that will correct the wobble issue.

I do want to mention tho that I during my installation of the brace, I called them to ask a question about mounting, and they were very nice and very accommodating.
Hi,
Fork braces usually, and I stress that as motorcycles are a law unto themselves!, address fork flex which manifests itself in low speed wandering or line deviation when bumps are encountered at higher speed.

Wobbles usually come from different sourses so before you spend a fortune on suspension changes you might consider trying the following:-

1. Check tyre for any signs of cupping or other nasties
2. Reballance tyre
3. While the front wheel is off loosen and retourque your steering head bearings and then check for any play, notchiness or other antisocial tendancies. (If you find a problem do yourself a favour and put tapered bearings in).
4. Look for any obvious fork leg damage or bending.
5. Reinstall the front wheel as per the Honda bible. make sure you give the front end a good bounce up and down to square everything up before you tighten the pinch bolts. Make sure you use a torque wrench and not the grunt and squint method.

All of the above you can do yourself or get a compitent mechanic to do in pretty quick time and reasonably economically.

If that does not work It is off to the experts with cheque book in hand!.

Just an long shot thought as it is unlikely on a wing, you may want to break out the string line and check the wheel alignment. A couple of (chain driven) bikes in my past would have wobbles at various speeds if the wheel alignment was not spot on.

Whatever the problem is I hope you can fix it cheaply and quickly.

Regards

Michael G
All good advise but odds are it is off to Traxxion. Look at it this way, as a by-product of fixing the wobble you end up with a bike that handles as it should have when it left the factory, all that for only a few thousand more :). Another rationalization, that few thousand saved me the loss I would have had from selling the Wing and buying a different bike plus no other bike fills my needs as well as the Wing. Traxxion is win win, cheap at any price.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I bought my 08 in 08 new. After 8K miles, I started noticing the front end wobble along with singing coming from the front tires when going through curves. At 10K miles I changed the Dunlop tires to Stones. Wobble was still there but less noticeable. At 12K miles during the filter change I decided to have the technician replace the stock bearing with All Balls tapered bearing. When I went to pick up the bike the technician gave me a big smile and said "you will be happy, no more wobble" and he was right. The new bearing seemed to change the handling, it seemed tighter and more stable. I now have 28K miles and not even a hint of a wobble.

I just had Traxxion springs and shock installed along with a fork brace. Big difference, handling is smooth, bike takes the bumps much better and is even more stable. I think I would be surprised if I compared the bike before and after.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
I am not a fan of two piece designed fork braces like the Superbrace. Many times they will cause the forks to bind in the bushings, because the brace forces the forks to fit to it's dimensions, and no two bikes are the same. I believe both the Traxxion and Kuryakyn are superior fork braces, because their floating center section allows the brace to conform to the distance between the two fork legs, and then you tighten it down and lock it in place.

I've seen a bike that had a SuperBrace on it that was causing binding in the legs so bad that the front end appeared to be sagging. When the brace was removed, the front end rose almost 2 full inches.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am not a fan of two piece designed fork braces like the Superbrace. Many times they will cause the forks to bind in the bushings, because the brace forces the forks to fit to it's dimensions, and no two bikes are the same. I believe both the Traxxion and Kuryakyn are superior fork braces, because their floating center section allows the brace to conform to the distance between the two fork legs, and then you tighten it down and lock it in place.

I've seen a bike that had a SuperBrace on it that was causing binding in the legs so bad that the front end appeared to be sagging. When the brace was removed, the front end rose almost 2 full inches.
Plus 1 for a 4 part brace. I don't KNOW that a 2 part brace will cause a binding issue, but I do know a 4 part, properly installed, won't.

I bought my 08 in 08 new. After 8K miles, I started noticing the front end wobble along with singing coming from the front tires when going through curves. At 10K miles I changed the Dunlop tires to Stones. Wobble was still there but less noticeable. At 12K miles during the filter change I decided to have the technician replace the stock bearing with All Balls tapered bearing. When I went to pick up the bike the technician gave me a big smile and said "you will be happy, no more wobble" and he was right. The new bearing seemed to change the handling, it seemed tighter and more stable. I now have 28K miles and not even a hint of a wobble.

I just had Traxxion springs and shock installed along with a fork brace. Big difference, handling is smooth, bike takes the bumps much better and is even more stable. I think I would be surprised if I compared the bike before and after.
The answer to t he decel wobble is tapered bearings. It's a cheap fix, since the bearings are only about $45. It does require some labor, since the stem bearings are buried in the middle of the bike, but the job mostly takes time and a few specialty tools to do. Tools that aren't that expensive, or could be borrowed if you wanted to do the job yourself. The only 2 must-haves are a torque wrench, and a stem nut tool. It really helps to have a set of race removers and race and bearing drivers, but you can get away without if you are really careful. Fred's entertainment videos tell you how.
Everyone who has installed the bearings has defeated the wobble. If your tires are worn, and have set into the wobble pattern, it may not go away totally until you get new ones. There are other suspension issues that I won't dive into here, you can find dozens, if not hundreds of threads that go into excruciating detail (some I've written...:roll: )
Here's a recent one.. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284302

=Dave=
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Fork braces do nothing for the wobbles so far as I know. Traxxion upgrade has success rate similar to using AllBalls stem bearings and that is for a good reason, they include AllBalls stem bearings. However, even the tapaered stem bearings do not dampen all wobbles according to some old posts here and some riders reported the tapered bearings to have imparted a weave in the steering. Not sure why the results vary so much; but in general the tapered bearing DO dampen the wobbles in cases where the source of the wobbles can not be found.

prs

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not a fan of two piece designed fork braces like the Superbrace. Many times they will cause the forks to bind in the bushings, because the brace forces the forks to fit to it's dimensions, and no two bikes are the same.

Fred...I sure don't want to do any damage to my forks, and I am sure not a mechanic. Should I remove the brace ?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
If the simple brace works without imparting resistance to the forks' motion, then you are OK. Not sure if it is a few, some, or most of the Super Braces that fit any given bike. I suspect the variance is in the bikes and not the brace, but if the brace don't fit, ya must aquit (you can't adjust the bike to fit the brace without getting into problems.

prs

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
As far as the wobble is concerned, I believe the tire is the culprit. It was in my case. The new 709 Stone completely got rid of a very severe wobble that would occur when letting go of the handle bars. I think the Wing is very, very sensitive to the slightest tire defect so roller bearings, traxxion may tighten up the stearing enough to mask the tire issue.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Even Traxxion will not always solve the wobble problem. As much as I like it, when the tires start to wear, the wobble comes back.

It's partly a frame geometry issue, and Traxxion does not change that.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Fork braces are applied to outer part of the lower forks which is a casting that is not machined hence there are dimensional tolerances which vary from one bike to the next in great degrees. I have a friend for whom I rebuild his forks often because of the inherent wear from a trike rake kit. His fork leg castings are so bad, I doubt if he could even install either the "floating" or the "fixed" version of a fork brace as neither would fit at all.

I have All Balls and Progressive springs and I was afforded the opportunity to try a "floating" fork brace for awhile and found it offered next to no improvement in the way my 02 performs. I could barely tell the difference with it on or off and it was fugly besides. I might pay $50 for one, but not $200. I have not yet ridden a wing (currently about 7 different ones) that feels as "solid" as mine. Cannot afford Traxxion but for $150, progressive and all balls works for me.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I have the Superbrace and it works great! No stiction and I noticed the handling difference immediately after it was installed! A worth while addition in my opinion! :thumbup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
SuperBrace

I Fred !!

I install for some years, the fork brace from Kuryakyn, I am a machinist and a mechanic.
I find the conseption Kuryakyn superbly well done.
But chromium is brittle, it breaks easily.

I could install the Traxxion I recommend to all.

FlyBoy2121

·
Registered
11 Posts
The whole thing with fork braces is that they need to be properly fitted I have used two piece and multi piece in the past with good results for both.

I have only ever struck one set of forks that were so rough and shagged that a brace could not be fitted without serious modifications (kawasaki). A few have had issues of miss alignment in the tripple clamp, but once those were addressed all was sweet.

If things are not lining up stop, figure our why and fix it. All will then be good. A couple of quiet beers whilst studying the schematic of the front end of your bike will help you understand how the whole things inter-relate.

If you do your final fitting with a hammer or just "pull her in with the bolts" you will have problems:eek:4: This particular fitting method is at the root cause of all purported horror stories of braces causing stiction etc. Don't blame the brace, blame the fitter!!!

Regards

Michael G

·
Registered
199 Posts
Fork Brace

I Toppy

No problem to mount my fork brace, I'm a mechanic for over 30 years of experience, and in my toolbox, I board not hammers, just a little rubber hammer, and hammer that j 'uun have his hammer Cloux and my fork works great, and if you look closely on this web site and another site, there have been many complaints on the Kuryakyn chrome.

FlyBoy2121

The whole thing with fork braces is that they need to be properly fitted I have used two piece and multi piece in the past with good results for both.

I have only ever struck one set of forks that were so rough and shagged that a brace could not be fitted without serious modifications (kawasaki). A few have had issues of miss alignment in the tripple clamp, but once those were addressed all was sweet.

If things are not lining up stop, figure our why and fix it. All will then be good. A couple of quiet beers whilst studying the schematic of the front end of your bike will help you understand how the whole things inter-relate.

If you do your final fitting with a hammer or just "pull her in with the bolts" you will have problems:eek:4: This particular fitting method is at the root cause of all purported horror stories of braces causing stiction etc. Don't blame the brace, blame the fitter!!!

Regards

Michael G

·
Registered
552 Posts
I removed my Traxxion fork brace because I was convinced by a professional motorcycle suspension technician that it was slightly binding my front axle.
This I was shown when having a complete Race Tech set up done at a suspension shop on my bike. It made absolutely no difference when installed anyway. What made a huge difference was steel tapered steering head bearings and the Race Tech set up.

Everyone will have their own opinion... This is GMD Compu-Track's opinion, fork braces are not good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would start with the front tire. I might have missed it but what is the millage on the original tire. Mine started to wobble a small amount when the tire began wear down and got about 15000 miles on it. It got worse as the tire wore more. When a new tire went on wobble gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts