GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice SuperBrace now has a model to fit the '06 and later airbag model. Does anyone tried one of these yet?
I believe in the theory of the fork brace, but not crazy about being the first to try one on a bagger... :confused:

Lance

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I figure you are already aware of the possibility that the SuperBrace can cause stiction on some GL1800's Beyond that, somebody has to be first.

prs

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I figure you are already aware of the possibility that the SuperBrace can cause stiction on some GL1800's Beyond that, somebody has to be first.

prs
Wat does stiction meen?

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
Stiction, in this case, is drag reistance in the movement of suspension components. If a brace does not fit exactly, it will bind the front forks and impede smooth function of the forks.

prs

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I notice SuperBrace now has a model to fit the '06 and later airbag model. Does anyone tried one of these yet?
I believe in the theory of the fork brace, but not crazy about being the first to try one on a bagger... :confused:

Lance
I havbe had one since the second week they introduced it. I have not had a single problem with mine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havbe had one since the second week they introduced it. I have not had a single problem with mine.
Thanks Lynn,

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Lance

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I believe that is pretty much the story. If it fits perfectly, it works well; if the fit is imperfect, the result is flawed. On sites like this we naturally read of problems more than we do of success stories; that is, folks are far more likely to bitch and moan when they have troubles than they are to dance and praise when all is well.

prs

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Improper installation could be a cause of complaints?

I talked to a few guys who have the Superbrace,and what I heard made sense on how they installed the Superbrace..
When you think in millimeters!

They loosened the axle Pinch bolts-then tightened the Superbrace,then re-tightened the pinch bolts setting the forks on the axle..

When I asked about Caliper to rotor spacing,none had to mess with it either way..
Some won't believe this,But who cares if it works!?

I think that is the "Key" to installing the Superbrace!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had one for the last 15K miles and don't seem to have any problems.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
All I know is, none of us would be able to FEEL the binding front end until it was well damaged.

I use the Kury unit.

Every single time your front tire is changed, the forks' alignment changes slightly. The Kury and Traxxion braces can accomodate this fluctuation. The superbrace can not.

It's your ride, do what you feel is right.

Personally, I have no desire to replace my lower fork tubes any sooner than I have to. The super brace can expedite wear on the lowers.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
DJ Fire has it 100% correct. :thumbup:

Anyone representing a company like Superbrace that makes comments on this board like below isn't getting any of my money.
They have no clue what they are talking about.

It's the most ridiculious BS I've ever heard...........:eek:

Why are many riders confused about stiction? Well let’s just give you some insight on all of it.

Stiction is caused by the incorrect alignment of the fork tubes from center to center. These tubes need to be parallel from the triple trees down to the axle and that’s a fact. The problem starts when the axle is over tightened. This makes the tubes pinched in or unparallel. Tire changes are the main source of this problem and we all know how well these bikes eat tires.

There seems to be some guys out there that say that the tolerances on the bikes suspension are not consistent. Well, that’s like saying manufactures are building covered wagons. It’s just not true. These manufacturers have been doing this for a gazillion years and have very tight tolerances when it comes to making these suspensions. The bores on the triple clamps are perfect and consistent.

Back to defining stiction, stiction comes from improper installation and axle over tightening. It seems that the other fork brace manufactures like to fog up the story so they can make money by saying bad things about us. Well let’s set them straight. We machine a fork brace from all billet aircraft aluminum.

SuperBrace has been making fork braces for many years along with supporting numerous GL chapters and associations. As the original fork brace manufacturer, we have manufactured thousands upon thousands of fork braces for over 125 different kinds of motorcycles and stand behind our product 100% and we appreciate your support.

The SUPERBRACE has NO adjustment in it. The bores in the SUPERBRACE are the same center to center as the triple trees. These tolerances are very tight. There is NO reason to have an adjustable fork brace. It can only cause more problems for you down the road. That’s like saying can I get some adjustable triple trees. Give me a break. These multi-piece braces are less rigid and have more potential to flex.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Well said sb2007 :agree: I have been using a superbrace on my '02 GL1800 for over a year and have no problems with it! I noticed the changes in handling and riding immediately after I installed it! Highly recommended! :popcorn:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well said Brian!:agree:
I'm not sure Brian was being complimentary to SB...

I started this asking for comments on SB as it applies to bagger equipped wings. If I had no airbag, I probably would already have a different manufacture's brace. So, to ask the question another way, is a SB better than no brace at all for a bagger?

Lance

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
The thing to consider is that a Kury brace and the Traxxion brace are designed to accomodate the slightless micro differences on fork distance...In due light, why bother with a standarized fork that may or may not cause sticktion

I installed the Superbrace the correct way and it did not work for me
I put the Kury and the chrome decided to change skins promptly
I am very happy with the Traxxion non-chrome brace...Look up the brace in the Traxxion page...its the best in my book...

Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Themobb, Nando

Before I purchased the Superbrace, I checked with Traxxion about their brace and was told that it was not designed for the airbag and would not fit.

If installed correctly, IMO the Spuerbrace is better than no brace.

If the other guys start making a brace that will fit the airbag I would consider a Traxxion.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I'm not sure Brian was being complimentary to SB...

I started this asking for comments on SB as it applies to bagger equipped wings. If I had no airbag, I probably would already have a different manufacture's brace. So, to ask the question another way, is a SB better than no brace at all for a bagger?

Lance
Hey Ho Themobb!

To answer your question, you have to know the answer for yourself to; "Do I notice problems with my ride that are attributable to torsional flex of the fork tubes?" If your answer is no, then why bother? If the answer is yes you have another variable to consider; "Are my fork tubes' internal wearing parts in good condition?" This is primarily a queston of the wear upon the upper and lower guide/slider bushings; hopefully not wear to the inside of the fork tubes. To know the answer to that question, you would have to have dismantled and inspected the forks (which, if you have good common sense also means you went and replaced the wear parts such as seals, oil, bushings, "O" rings and seal washers) or that you need to do so. Many bikes show significant wear in under 25,000 miles according to the procalimed "gurus" and wear can mean more slop in the system. If you notice a problem due to flex and all else is "covered" then a brace is the next plan of attack and since SuperBrace is the only company which has seen fit to supply what you need, they are your logical choice.

Now, despite one expert's delaration to the effect that a rider who can not detect the torsional slop is one who is lacking in skill or expereince; I admit that I have failed to consistently tell whether or not my Kuryakyn brace is installed or not (that with my son either loosening it or tightening it with me driving through parking lot drills in our own "blind studies"). I guess I have no talent or expereince because my prediction of the status of the brace was actually less than what luck of chance would predict. But the majority of folks online claim to tell a whopping positive difference -- maybe they also notice a clean and waxed bike runs better -- but I digress. IF I had a SuperBrace and it imparted "sticition"; then I am confident that I could slightly modify the brace to fit exactly.

I think quoatation as posted above is very likely WRONG where the quoated person says Honda's (or other assembly lines) tolerances are held so tight that hs company only needs only to make their braces to the center spec or nominal spec. I also do NOT agree that the problem is, as quoated, related to improper tightening of the lower axle bolt or axle clam bolts. Improper assembly down there would casue a problem, but some of the folks who have verified stiction are mechanically talented enough to have eliminated that variable. Nope, the problem is that SuperBrace can not match the exact parallel or quasi-parallel spacing imparted onto the fork tubes by the upper and middle triple tree clamps. It has to be an exact match and only then must the axle assembly be installed to maintain that exact spacing. The brace has to fit the bike, the bike can NOT be adjusted to fit the brace as so well explained by Mr. Stu Oltman.

prs (who has the Kuryakyn brace and velcro/foam fork protectors installed, but notices no real improvement - nor any real flaw with the OE set-up.)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
No Traxxion brace for 06!...I did not know that!

Pigeon,
Who am I to differ with you? But I venture. I am guessing, if you rode a stock Wingabego without a brace for quite a while you would be able to sense the forking flex. Then, slapped a brace on, you would be able to tell the difference. I am not sure riding around a parking lot qualifies a "blind study"--where you blinded with a rag across your eyes?...just clarifying my impressions here! :shock:

The reason I say this is cause I could tell, and if I could, I know damn well you can because your experience surpasses mine. :bow: I also could tell the Superbrace caused sticktion. The damn thing made my forks stiff. I guess I have no proof for this one. But I had to bet a nut, I would place on the side it did squeezed my fork too much...that's how sure I am!

Of course you cannot tell that much with a brace and upgraded forks. But, a good mech put it to me this way: There is no way a good forkbrace cannot help. It is bracing the forks. And whether or not you can sense the flexing of the fork have stopped with a brace, it is helping the forks not to flex...

Moral of the story: Foking braces flexes not; while not bracing your forking can knock you off your bed--because too much flexing in your forking. ;)

I enjoy my forking a great deal more since I brace for it...and get better Traxxion in and out of the holes!

D

·
0 Posts
Winger22,

I'm in the boat with you, my airbagger needs a fork brace. I really notice it in low speed handling. My local honda house has a guy that installes farkles nearly full time for free if you purchase them from that dealer. He told me last Saturday that he stocks and installs the SuperBrace for the Airbag and of all the SuperBraces (he) installed has not had one complaint of "Stiction". He did say they have to be installed the right way and he suspects that people installing some of the braces themselves are not installing them correctly. I'm going to have him install the SuperBrace on my '08 and see what happens.

Geof

1 - 20 of 25 Posts