GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - this is Loren's wife Laura... In the last year or so, I noticed some "not so safe" things in the way he drove the car and rode the bike, after some nagging on my part, finally was able to get him to go checked it out more than just a exam from Walmart. The results are much worse than we expected.

Right eye: bleeding on the macular caused from diabetes. NOT macular degeneration, which is part of diabetes, but different. Today they put him to sleep, gave him 2 shots in his right eye. One to do a nerve block on the Optic Nerve so he wouldn't feel anything. They ran some more tests. Then, after he woke up a bit, did laser surgery, (which I was able to watch and have to admit was very interesting) 682 zaps to the back of the eye, more than normal for this type of procedure. (not good). I wish I could keep him sedated - he was very "vulnerable" and "needy" and didn't have "control" like he has to have.. so he was overly nice.. ha.

Left eye - has a cataract that needs to be removed. It's not the blinding type of cataract, people over 40 get cataract(s), some get worse.. most are "just there". Loren's is bad... He not only the macular stuff (which he can only see out of the sides of his eyes) but a cataract as well.

Results: Right Eye - see how the procedures today comes out 1-2 weeks.

Left Eye - Tomorrow he has a shot in the eye to stop the bleeding. BUT... the week after, he'll be having "dual" surgery to first of all remove the cataract that is there... the next surgeon comes in and removes the "lens" of the eye. It will be replaced with an artificial lens which will be curved/fitted to make the eye "normal" again to where he should not have to wear glasses. Kind of like a contact lens, but more detailed.

Scarey stuff, and although Loren would never ask for support (is that a man thing???) I will. Thoughts prayers are welcome. It's been a hard week for us here, as I lost my job on Monday without any notice. We already had plans to go to Vegas on 12/8 but he cannot fly for 2 weeks, so that will have to be cancelled with having to eat some already paid for $$$.

Loren talks about y'all alot ... just wanted to let you know what's going on. It's pretty scarey.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this
Laura Weeks

·
Registered
906 Posts
Laura and Loren:
My thoughts and prayers have gone out to you both. Although I have not been here on the board too long, I do know that thoughts and prayer does help the healing process and there are many here who care alot about the others that are here. Hope all turns out as well as you hope it will.
Joe

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Laura, I sent an email earlier to Loren stating that I got the Air Hawk seat cushion in excellent condition and to thank him.

Please accept my condolences for all your difficulties at this time. When it rains it pours, so they say.

My prayers to Loren for a painless and speedy recovery and my prayers for your family's situation right before the holidays.

Please keep us all in the loop, may God bless you both.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Laura,

Thoughts and prayers from my family to yours. We hope and trust all will go well.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Best wishes

All the best to both of you. This is the time of year to take stock of all the blessings we have on this earth, keep thinking positive.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Thoughts and prayers from our family to yours. Please keep us informed here on the message board of his progress.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Prayers said for you both, and his medical team. Speedy recovery.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Laura,
Best wishes and prayers from Michigan for both of you.
Tell Loren we're thinking of him.
C.J.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Laura,

Loren is at the top of our prayer list! Is there anything we can do? We are a short drive away and would do anything to help you guys out.

Hope all goes well and be sure to let him know that we are all thinking of him and also don't forget to take care of you too.

Bear and Princess

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Please give Loren my best and I will definitely add him to my prayers!

As others have said, medical services these days are simply amazing and keep getting better all the time. I am sure Loren will be out riding as soon as the winter is over in Wisconsin.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
281 Posts
Takes a lot of courage to ask for help. Takes more courage to go through an operation like that (and watching it too). Wishing both of you a speedy recovery, health and happiness.

All the best from Ontario, Canada

Zeebo

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Laura, I'm very sorry to hear about that. It must be very frustrating for you both.

As far as the Vegas trip, see if you can sell that to somebody you know. If not, put it up for sale here on the classifieds. You never no. You may not recover all of your expenses, but you just might. Even if you don't it's better than loosing it all.

I wish you both all the luck in the world.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Loren and Laura -

Wishing the best for both of you in your time of need. I know things will work out for the best..........they always do.

You have alot of friends and support from them with the access to this Board.

You 2 will always be in our thoughts and prayers.

Steve

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I am very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hoping and praying for the best outcome for both you and Loren. Here's to a quick and complete recovery. Terry

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Why are so many men stubborn on getting to the doctor? I would rather know than guess what is wrong with me. If you have healthcare insurance count your blessings, there are many who don't.

Thoughts and prayers coming your way for both of you.

Glad loren decided to take your advice!

I went to the doctor and he told me ....I am totally NUTS! :p

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Thoughts and Prayers sent your way.

Be strong, the Lord above will see you through....

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Laura, please tell Loren that Mesquite Bob is pulling and praying for him. Haven't got to spend an inordinate amount of time with him, but keep bumping into him at the Gatherings. Wouldn't want this to interfere with his freedom on the bike.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I imagine it took some courage to get on the keyboard and let us know.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Loren, we wish you well down here in vegas and when you do come down we hope to meet you. Take care Tim

1 - 20 of 54 Posts