GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visiting Ebay daily, I find a lot of trikes (Champions) for sale. I dont see MANY California Side Car (CSC) models either...

I am not sure if that is a wake up call to customers not happy with their Champion trikes or happy customers that own CSC that keep them, or what it is.

My SO got a ride on a CSC, now she does not want to even go 2 up on 2 wheels. I can't even get her on a Champion trike to compare....

Am I missing something on all these sales of Champions?? A lot are 2006/2007 versions mind ya, but still, I am wondering why so many are flooding the market...Is it sales verses unhappy customers??

I ask this because I have a Champion dealer a LOT closer then a CSC dealer...AND if I have to bite the bullet for a trike, I would rather have a closer dealer, with a good name brand...

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
Tony's Trikes in Inverness is not that far from Leesburg! :) I only know a few trike builders in that area, but Tony is the one I would buy from if I wanted one. I've known them for years. I haven't heard the first bad word about them.

I think you see so many Champion kits because they make them easy to get for the back yard builders. It's my understanding CSC won't let just anyone buy a kit.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trikes By Tony is where I stopped by with my wife...BIG MISTAKE...Thats the CSC dealer I was talking about...Not far, but farther than a Champlon Dealer

She loved his wife's trike setup.....and got a ride by his wife....I WAS DOOMED when she came back....

I also got a ride....liked it, but its not the same feeling I like with the 2 wheels!!!! felt like I was riding in a wagon, not a motorcycle!!!

Time will tell if I can drag my B+tt long enuff when we do get "MY" bike, and NOT have to trike it out.....

How does one tell their SO they are not really welcome and not wake up in the morning with a frying pan "attached" to ones forehead???? :roll:

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
How does one tell their SO they are not really welcome and not wake up in the morning with a frying pan "attached" to ones forehead????
Two motorcycles, one trike, one "me" bike....

·
Registered
491 Posts
There are several new Champion trikes for sale on ebay.....most are from Honda of Sumter, Sumter, SC. I don't think there's much to the bikes being for sale other than dealers. However, Champion could possibly sell more kits than other manufacturers. I bought a new 06 trike from Honda of Sunter and couldn't be more pleased with it. Plus consider the time of year a lot of bikes are for sale. Winter almost here, so some will try to sell their trike as they won't be riding it much for the next several months......
Nothing to worry about with the Champion......
HAGD,
Alex

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point....

That came to my mind as well....

I might have to fork over 25K-30K..but at least we will both be happy...

Now to plant voices in her head to hear "Hubby gets the newer one"..
"Hubby gets the newer one".."Hubby gets the newer one".."Hubby gets the newer one".. :roll:

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I have heard of Honda of Sumter...

After doing a demo ride on a Goldwing at BiketoberFEST at Daytona, a few guys saw me looking over the GW. One said he drove up to Sumter had saved 4-5K on his....

Went to their web site, found they are moving those GW's at a good price.

Lets hope when I get mine, they have some super duper fantastic way out of this world sales going on....

G

·
My Champion trike is NOT for sale, and won't be until I can't ride anymore.

Champion outsells CSC 2-1...maybe 3 or 4 to 1. Hence you will see more on the market.

You will see more Chevrolets and Fords for sale than you will see Cadillacs or BMW's :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I sure don't know what your smoking? If you GAVE me a CSC I would sell it in ONE SECOND to the first buyer!!!! WHY you ask? Because I have SEEN first hand a level of problems that the factory couldn't even correct on one of them with repeated factory visits, bringing the trike back to the factory. NO B. S., just the honest truth!!!! I'm I saying all CSC are this way? No, but the one I do know about has a mile long list of problems. Holly's 2002 Champion with over 36,000 trouble free miles from Champion. We would buy another Champion in ONE SECOND because of there reliable time tested trike that doesn't let us down and will corner like it is on rails.

·
Registered
139 Posts
FireEater,
There's a lot more to a trike than just the ride. Once you and your wife start looking closely at the entire package. My wife nixed the CSC COBRA because of lack of storage space. She is not a fan of a pull behind trailer. Tony is also a Champion dealer. It all comes down to what you both like. So you should investigate them all. For us we went with the Champion. Since winter blew in we haven't had much time to ride it, so I can't say much about it other than it's a great looking trike. My only word of caution to you is to be sure to dilegently check out your installer .
Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
No Nocks on the champion rode 4 different brands and liked the CSC more sure the trunk is not as large but i carry as much as i did on 2 wheels.i'll get a trailer if I need more space,and IMO if anyone was Thinking of getting a wing and read this board with some of the problems some of he bikes have ie frame welds wobble whatever and degraded it as some have some brand of trikes we all would be on foot. Get what ya like and ride till ya die your opnion on what ya like is all that matters anyway.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I noticed on Ebay that several '05 and '06 GW trikes are for sale for $4,800. Sure sounds like a bargain...all you have to do is mail $4,800 in English pounds to them....do people really fall for this stuff? I guess they do, or these scammers would not be in business.

Do you think they would send me an '06 trike COD? Ha ha

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, on those great $4,800 deals....Every one I find, I turn into Ebay as a scam to get them to get em off the board.....They take forever it seems to do it....I think the scammers want email addy's to send spam up the ying yang besides the money, IF they get any at all...But like you said, there are a lot out there, so they are prob getting a few suckers to send money before the site is shut down...I find at least 3 a day on just Goldwing page. Imagine board wide how many scammers are on ebay???

I like the ones that offer free shipping...I emailed one awhile back...Bike was 40 miles away...I told him I wanted to look at bike before I give up the cash....Heard a **** and bull story about why I could not just come over and pick it up....Bad english, bad grammer, bad spelling in all the replies I had gotton...Was pretty funny...YEA I needed something that day to kill the time I guess, and taking up these yahoo's time might have saved them from scamming some poor sole just trying to get a bike at a good deal...

On the original issue now....I am a stickler on investigating all I can on something I am going to buy for that amount of money. I will get on a Champion before I committ to any kit...I should have investigated more on the Honda Line Goldwing Jackets. I purchased 2 here at GREAT price...I got em a little bit large just in case they run small....They ran small alright....SO does not fit, and mine barely does...AND it was 2 sizes larger then I normally buy...Live and learn....

Saw a group (maybe 12) trikes on a ride yesterday going by me...I was drooling...then looked at temp outside....49 degrees is what registered on my gauge in my car....I like to ride, but not with 3 layers of clothing on an a mask over my mouth now....They were all bundled up...All the power to you all that will ride in any cold weather...I will stick to high 60's or above here in Central Florida.... 8)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just a note about "ALOT" of champion trikes being for sale.

First of all, that's nothing but a bunch of BS. Yes, I see champion trikes for sale on ebay, or whatever, but they are mostly new ones, being sold from champion dealers. Secondly, sure there would be alot more on the used trike market, just because there was, AND is alot more new trikes, and kits being sold, period. And as far as people " dumping " them, thast's total BS. Just go back to some older threads on this board, and read about the great experience the vast majority of champion owners have. I for one have had mine for the past year, gone on three major trips, and havd loved everything problem free mile with it. And the champion, is without a doubt, the "best bang for the buck" out there. The only disappointment I have that I didn't do a champion trike years ago.

Just my thoughts, based on ownership, and experience.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
FireEater, you are doing good work. I am always amazed that folks think they are going to get something for almost nothing...$4,800 for a $27K trike. There is a website where one of our 1800 friends bats it back and forth with scammers...it is fun to read. See below.

My two cents worth is you can't go wrong with any of the major trike kit. Your installer will make the difference...poor installer = poor trike! I went with Motor Trike, is it the best? Maybe not, but it suits my riding. I went with a local installer who has a great reputation and they did a great job. Other makes were available to me with other installers...who were not so good. That is the key to a great trike....good luck with your selection.

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/index.html

This is the site...it is FUNNY!!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not heard anything bad about any of the diff models of trikes on the road. All the owners seem to love the model they bought.
Thats Great!!

I was looking for a consensus of the CSC and the Champion...What I found is CSC riders love theirs and CHampion riders love theirs. Am sure If a DFT or Motor Trike rider was to respond, they would love theirs as well.

Bottom Line: We will try a few diff models and see what works for us...which is what I was going to do anyways...

THANKS ALL!!!

G

·
Fireeater:

One of the most important factors in choosing which trike to buy, is the dealer.

You want a dealer that is solid, knowledgable, does quality work, and stands behind his work.

All of the major trike kit brands are good. Differences are largely a matter of personal preference. But a bad dealer (and any manufacturer has a few) can ruin your experience.

When we decided to go to a trike, I did a lot of research on the manufacturers web sites, and listened to comments on internet forums like this one. I liked what I heard about Champion, I liked its design, both mechanically and appearance wise. I never test rode any trike.

There is a Champion dealer in my area, so I met with him, looked at his work, talked at length with him, and was convinced he was a good dealer who knew his business and would stand behind it. I bought my kit from him, and I have never been disappointed. In two years, I have not had a problem of any kind.

The CSC is a good machine, perhaps better in some ways than Champion. I don't know. One thing that led me to decide on Champion is that they use a well proven Toyota rear end, and a pretty simple uncomplicated coil over shock suspension in concert with the stock 1800 ride control system. Much of CSC's suspension and rear drive system is manufactured by them. I just prefer well proven and simple systems. The CSC suspension is not simple. Another factor was the large trunk capacity of the Champion as I do not ever intend to pull a trailer.

Good luck...have fun. Your wife will like either one, and you will both love triking.

Ride safe.

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
FireEater said:
Trikes By Tony is where I stopped by with my wife...BIG MISTAKE...Thats the CSC dealer I was talking about...Not far, but farther than a Champlon Dealer

She loved his wife's trike setup.....and got a ride by his wife....I WAS DOOMED when she came back....

I also got a ride....liked it, but its not the same feeling I like with the 2 wheels!!!! felt like I was riding in a wagon, not a motorcycle!!!

Time will tell if I can drag my B+tt long enuff when we do get "MY" bike, and NOT have to trike it out.....

How does one tell their SO they are not really welcome and not wake up in the morning with a frying pan "attached" to ones forehead???? :roll:
Hey!! were you there last weekend?? I was there with the silver trike and the Yorkie...well, if it wasn't you, someone else was riding Peggy's trike also!! They are really great people! I pulled up, got off the trike and Tony comes up and gives me a big hug like we are family! Love my trike and love my trike builder family! Peggy is great, and Lisa will help you out with all the paperwork... trike customers get discount on accessories forever! Tony changed the rear oil on mine and while he was at it, changed the driving light bulb for me...somehow we decided to add a chrome cowl while it was off!! Please do yourself a favor and go talk to Tony about a CSC trike!! then enjoy!!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No it was not me....We have not been there in a few months.

Ive only heard GOOD things about Tony and his place....His wife uses her trike as a demo....

When time has come for a trike, since wife likes that place, and I only hear GOOD things about it, we will probably let him to the conversion.

We have some other issues around here we have to take care of first before I fork over $11K or more...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts