GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, this is an amazing group of folks. Not only did Jerry Roebke and his wife stop my last Wednesday to see me at the hospital (they had already released me), but I have had quite a few folks send me a note asking for an update. It is just great to see real concern, thoughts, and prayers. So far they have been working well.

I am feeling much better every day. Pretty amazing what 7-8 days of healing after surgery can do. My neck is still swollen somewhat, but the swallowing has become a little easier now -- still have to chew things to death, however. Still a wee bit of a sore throat, but hopefully that will go away in a few days. The incision is healing nicely (uncovered it yesterday for the first time) and I decided to go ahead and leave it uncovered most of the time. Had my first shower yesterday -- boy, did that feel good. Even have to wear a neck collar when showering, but we have a special one for that. I go to see the nurse on Tuesday (23rd) for her to check the incision, then back to the surgeon on Jan 19th for review and x-rays to see how the bone/vertebrae are fusing. Have to wear the neck collar until at least the 19th, so this will be getting really old (it already is). Slept in my bed (vs. the recliner) for the first time last night and that felt really good also.

My surgeon was just amazing and I am very pleased. Now if the bone fusion works the way it is supposed to I will be able to resume mostly normal activities in early March. The diziness and unsteadiness (other than the old age stuff) seem to have pretty much gone away, but nerves take a long time to heal and the tingling/numbness/pain in the feet/legs/arms/hands/neck may take many months -- I just hope to see gradual improvement there also. I know that there are also some problems in the lower back, which we were treating back in the early summer before we found the major problem in the neck, but we are hoping that perhaps they were not as bad as we thought and that the neck problem was acting as sort of an amplifier on those issues -- only time will tell.

Again, thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Stay in touch. Have a great holiday season.

:xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1: :xmas1:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Really good to hear that you are on the mend and in good spirits.

The Best to you and your Family.

Bulldog & Meesh

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Sounds good Dave :D

When do you think you'll be able to get down the hill and have some lunch? Sheldons has a HUGE Meatloaf special on Wed's or other things other days. When your able let us know, our treat. 8)

Jerry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Recovery

Thats really a bear of a surgery. So glad to hear that you are on the good side of things now. We will help you hope and pray that the residue of problems from the vertebra will go away as well.
Don't get to spunky feeling now and go and overdo yourself.
Best Regards
Allan

·
Registered
989 Posts
keep up w/ the positive attitude...I recently had an accident w/ hours in the operating room. It's not fun not being able to ride and do the daily things. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
real concern ??? prayers ??? crap, I thought I was in the Will
:D :D :capwin:

hang in there, sounds like things are looking up, glad to hear your feeling better :a13: :yes:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Glad to hear you're feeling better.

At least you have one of the best views in the country to look at out of your house while you recover.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very glad you are on the mend-just spent some time in surgery with my wife today, sure makes a person happy to be able to enjoy the sound of an 1800!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts