GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my ECM changed and do not know if it did it before or not, but now if I hold the RPMs at a steady 1400, or close to that, the engine will alternate between 1400 and about 800 RPMs. It does not do it at a higher RPM. I did disconnect the battery for about 1/2 hour, hooked it back up and restarted the bike without touching the throttle to reprogram the ECM, but it did not help. It seems I remember reading something on the old board about this. Any one know if this is normal, or if not, what might be the cause?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is normal for a GL1800

My 03 did it before and after the ECM change. Is it normal, maybe for a Honda but not for anything other bike I have owned.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No..I haven't. It only does the surging in the one RPM range. More or less RPMs and it does not do it. I have never noticed it doing it on the road, but as soon as this snow is over and the roads clear enough that I can run a tank thru it I will give it a try and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
My 2004 Goldwing does this.

I will also mention that we own a 2001 Ford F-150 super crew 4 door truck with a 5.4 engine that we bought new. You cannot get a stable engine rpm with the truck stopped, in park when you throttle the engine up off an idle.

When you 'slightly' touch the gas pedal the IAC ( idle air control) opens up and the engine revs up waaaay more than needed if you barely touch the gas pedal. The IAC controls idle & low speed RPM, it avoids engine stalling, increases RPM if the A/C is on ...........etc

Lets say you want to rev the engine to a stable 1200 rpm in the Ford in park.... I cannnot do it with our truck

Ford tells me( a 30+ yr auto mechanic) " it is normal"

Our 2000 Silverado chevy truck with a 5.3 engine easily does any RPM you wish while at a stop in park......

It is all about the ECM programing. IF I could redo the Ford's program I would.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Mine does it only when not moving. I have never noticed it while riding. Even when doing cicles and 8's in the parking lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts