GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow riders, has anyone had a problem with an 1800 throttle dropping off then surging back on when the engine is cold? This happens when the engine is cold(ish) I’m in So CA. Had the bike in the shop the last 6 days and I’ve paid $300+ to change 6 plugs so far, American Honda has told the mechanic to do an oil change ($160) do a leak down test ($200) a compression test $200+) without even mentioning the throttle body position sensor.
Anybody else have something like this happen?
any ideas how you dealt with it would help.
Steve M

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,927 Posts
Hey fellow riders, has anyone had a problem with an 1800 throttle dropping off then surging back on when the engine is cold? This happens when the engine is cold(ish) I’m in So CA. Had the bike in the shop the last 6 days and I’ve paid $300+ to change 6 plugs so far, American Honda has told the mechanic to do an oil change ($160) do a leak down test ($200) a compression test $200+) without even mentioning the throttle body position sensor.
Anybody else have something like this happen?
any ideas how you dealt with it would help.
Steve M
How many miles on it and have you or the shop re-initialized the ECM?

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,927 Posts
30K and no re-initialized yet Knew the org owner and don't think he did it either.
I would try it, especially since the process is to let the ECM teach itself how to control the idle. To do it, start the bike overnight cold and let it idle until the fans cycle on and off once, then turn off the key. Turn the key back on and start it to see how it idles. Don’t touch the throttle during this whole time or you have to get it cold and start over. Depending on the outside temperature, it might take a while for the fans to cycle, but it’s only a little gas. There’s no need to disconnect the battery or anything else fancy. Why is that shop charging so much for simple services. I changed my own plugs in an hour for the cost of the plugs, $300 is price gouging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try it, especially since the process is to let the ECM teach itself how to control the idle. To do it, start the bike overnight cold and let it idle until the fans cycle on and off once, then turn off the key. Turn the key back on and start it to see how it idles. Don’t touch the throttle during this whole time or you have to get it cold and start over. Depending on the outside temperature, it might take a while for the fans to cycle, but it’s only a little gas. There’s no need to disconnect the battery or anything else fancy. Why is that shop charging so much for simple services. I changed my own plugs in an hour for the cost of the plugs, $300 is price gouging.
2 hours to diagnose the problem

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Ay Trouble...
Where are you in So Calif?
I'm in Fillmore. May not be a guru, but I do most of my own work.
Sounds like the dealer is detting TOP bucks for things. Oil change for
$160? Even with synthetic oil and filter, they are getting $100 for 30 min labor.
The initialization is easy.
Corventure Dave

·
Registered
499 Posts
I suspect you aren’t going to find a solution to this. I chased it to no avail on my ‘08. My ‘14 does the exact same thing. I’ve learned to just rev it and slip the clutch through this area as it only happens for a brief time as the coolant temp increases. If moving and in higher gears (4 or 5), I can still feel it, but it’s not nearly as bothersome as it is in a parking lot in 1st gear.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspect you aren’t going to find a solution to this. I chased it to no avail on my ‘08. My ‘14 does the exact same thing. I’ve learned to just rev it and slip the clutch through this area as it only happens for a brief time as the coolant temp increases. If moving and in higher gears (4 or 5), I can still feel it, but it’s not nearly as bothersome as it is in a parking lot in 1st gear.
Yeap the first time it happened I was leaned over exiting a gas station driveway and she dropped and tossed me into the curb. left her laying on a 10 degree down slope. the method for picking them up don't work as well when they are pointed down hill.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I would do as techdude says and reintialize the ECM.
Probably won't help the stumble if it has it, but should fix the idle.

When my '12 had the horrible stumble the idle never changed. The bike just had driveability problems at half warm up.
About threw me the first time it happened. Fooled me once but not twice.

Does electricalconnection still have the plug and play module to fool the IAT sensor? I believe that's who it was.

EDIT: Mine has the reflash done.

Reactions: lyle doverspike
1 - 10 of 10 Posts