GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe I'm goofy. I recently (last week) sold my GL1500SE that I purchased new in Nov of '95. It had a little over 92k miles, but was otherwise in really very good condition - no rust, recent replacement of seat and windshield, numerous accessories installed, etc. My wife and I rode this bike on our honeymoon, travelled on it to 37 states, participated in numerous club events and had many wonderful experiences, all of the positive kind. Even hitting a dear at 70 mph turned out to be no big deal (well, Wifey and I were a little shaken, and my Baby suffered some cosmetic damage).

It wasn't easy selling my Baby. Virtually every caller ask about the mileage, then would hang up. How does one go about explaining that mileage on a well maintained Gold Wing is the best part of ownership?

I sold my Baby to an individual that, on the day of the sale, wanted to take it home by shackling it to a U-Haul trailer. I felt myself getting a little hot under the collar asking what method would be used to secure it, only to be shown a pair of faded, dirty nylon tie-down straps. My Baby had never been on a trailer.

The new owner asked numerous questions like, "How does it compare to a Harley?" and "Is it easy to ride?" I don't consider myself an expert rider, but Wifey and I spent many hours with Baby in an empty parking lot, learning how to ride her at slow speeds while turning at full lock. We were committed to her, and wanted to make our relationship the best that it could be.

I watched my Baby being ridden away by a stranger. I hoped she would be treated with the same degree of love and care that I had given her.

The new owner asked if Wifey and I would ride with them. I never answered that question, for how do you say no to a person who is now riding the bike that you loved and cherised for almost 12 years? I know my Baby is just a combination of different materials, molded, machined and assembled in a certain way. But she was My Baby. I didn't want to see her go.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Know the feeling. My husband sold his 97 GL1500 to a fellow who lives locally. It was NEVER as dirty as it is now.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I sold my 94 GW with a Triking trike kit. It was a great bike and still is. The guy that purchased it from me is local and stopped by yesterday to say "hi". It was good to see that it is being cared for. I put 44K on it before I sold it. I just didn't like the Triking conversion, it wasn't for me. Sad is gave me many memories.

Now have an 06 and love it!

Sometimes you just have to let it go....

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Once it is sold, it ain't yours anymore!

I have never worried about finding a "Self approved" good home for anything that I have sold. I get the cash, you get the goods, we are both happy.

My Mom taught me to never Love something that can not Love you back.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I guess I don't get that attached to material things. Treat it well while you own it and pass it on knowing that you gave someone something that was well cared for.

Now if it was one of my pets .....

Me thinks you should probably not consider used car sales as a career option at any point. :duck:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I can understand the emotional attachment to the bike. As you've stated over and over again, it was a big part of your life. But at the same time I can understand that others usually don't share this attachment. To some motorcycling is a lifestyle, to others it is a past time, and to others it is simply transportation.

Thats why, for the most part, the only owner of my motorcycles after me is a scrap yard. I wear them out before sending them to the glue factory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know what you're feeling. I had a 78 Mustang II that I spent way too much money on. Even pulled the v6 and installed a hi-po 302 into it. It was a great car. When the time came to sell it, I was hoping for a good buyer that appreciated what they were getting. It turned out a 17 year old bought it with help from his dad. I had a bad feeling thinking this kid was just going to beat the crap out of my 'stang. I saw my car a year and a half later. Same kid was driving it and it looked awesome! Better than when I had it. Sometimes things just work out the way they should.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bulldog,

That was a great quote from your Mom......never looked at it that way.

Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had the opposite experience when I sold my last bike, an "85 Limited. The buyer flew in to San Diego from Prescott, AZ and walked around the bike, telling me how beautiful she was.
He rode her home that day, and has kept in touch ever since. He still thanks me for selling it to him. I'm sure she's loved where she is.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Does anyone have a tissue? I'm a bit choaked up over this.
:a13: :a13: :a13:

G

·
0 Posts
thechicken said:
Even hitting a dear at 70 mph turned out to be no big deal
Wow. My wife would have really been pissed off if I had done that to her. :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man,
I know how you feel.
When I sold my 1500, guy came out to look at it for his son in law. This man had a bike just like mine. He test rode it and was the only other person to ride while I owned it.
They take it that day, just gave me a check to hold it.
This man and his son in law came back a week later to get it.
We chatted for a while and I was handed a check for the balance. I had it facing the road and he fired it up. The father in law pulled out of my drive way and then the son in law on my former bike tried to jam it in gear with out using the clutch!! I said hey you need to use this and he said it had been a while since he last rode a bike. He got it going and then went to turn out my drive and didnt pull in the clutch. it started bucking and jerking then he dumped it. right there at the end pf my driveway. :cry: I helped himand the bike up and he went down the road. I couldnt watch. About 20 minutes the father in law came back and asked if i had jumper cables, he had killed it so many times it ran the battery down. I reached into my pocket to feel the check and said said i'd help them out. I drove my car down the my former bike straned along side the road and I got on it and it started right up for me. i told them I'd take it home and put it on the charger for them and they should just come back in their car and the father in law should ride it home. That is what happened and i havn't heard from them since.
Yes it hurt seeing my bike being rode this way( ok, ok, my former bike) But I had put a lot into it also and have a lot of good memeries with it. Yes I was attached to itas I have been to several inantimate objects over the years.
It is more than just plastic and metal after a man puts his heart and soul into it. Yes, to my wife it was just a bike and can be replaced. But I feel that it was an extension of me in a sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts