GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I think that if you ask a truck driver about that he will disagree. They say that silver and gray cars are harder to see because they blend into the color of the pavement.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I like my silver '03 but the thing is like a "stealth" bike, especially during dawn and dusk when everthing seems to be gray anyway.

"Cold-hearted orb that rules the night; removes the colors from our sight; red is grey and yellow - white; but we decide which is right; and which is an illusion." (The Moody Blues - "Nights in White Satin")

I also agree about silver tending to blend into the color of the pavement. I've already installed a tallight modulator, and a headlight modulator is going to be installed this winter.

If safety is the top concern, then yellow is the best bike color.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I don't believe it at all, silver cars or bikes almost disappear on cloudy or foggy days, particularly on faded blacktop, they are like camouflage blending right into the background. I have a silver Acura and make a point of turning my lights on early because it's not a very visible color.

I commuted to work and had a lot of opportunity to observe what colors were visable or not, white was the standout under all conditions, black wasn't too bad, the neutral middle colors aren't very good, silver and gray were the least visible by far.

There are a lot of poorly conducted studies that end up being published in the press, but have no credibility in the real world, looking at that article I believe it falls into that category.

G

·
My hair is silver and I'm an accident waiting to happen - so much for that theory :shock:

I will agree that I fade away in a fog. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you want a bike that is noticeable in all conditions, take it to any nuclear power plant and have it dipped in their "swimming pool" where they keep the spent uranium rods. I did this to my '02 Silver and now it looks like this...

BTW... it looks really cool at night!
:lol:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Riding it will also cure prostate cancer! :)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My guess would be that the yellow bikes would show up the best. Isn't that the reason that firetrucks and rescue vehicles went to day glo yellow or green (something like Tom's bike :D )?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
YELLOW ! If you want to stick out in a crowd.

I just ask myself, what color are the cabs in NYC? What color are the school busses? What color are the State DOT vehicles? and to end the list, what color is Dr. Robs bike? (very yellow)

Bulldog

·
Registered
816 Posts
my mistake

I first read this and thought you said "fastest" which I knew wasn't right because BLACK is fastest.

Once you go black, you'll never go back...unless it's that Black Cherry that I'm waiting to see. I may have to have an '04 in '04....

Yee Haa
8)

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I don't know if the study included the experience of the drivers. I drive a company vehicle (Ford Windstar) and put a lot of miles on it. I chose silver because it hides a lot of dirt and road grime... very low maintenance. If it was black I would have to get it washed every day in order to keep it looking half decent.

So, the color of my vehicle and my driving experience are linked. Perhaps it's the experience that makes my silver vehicle safer than the average? I don't know how this does or does not relate to the study, but some studies only help the people doing the study ask better questions in the future. :D

And I do agree that there is a danger of blending into your environment, especially on rainy days. I too use my headlamps a lot during the day. Making yourself very visible on two lane roads and Interstate highways is a must.

This is getting long-winded so I'll just say... Drive safe out there! :biker:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was listening to something on the radio a while back, there was a study commissioned for the safest color for fire departments, that study came back with that really bright florescent green that you see on some fire trucks.

:22yikes:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Silver Color on Wing

I ride the Silver Wing because it hides dirt and road grime. I owned a black Harley and have sworn to never own a black vehicle again. I do believe silver is one of the most difficult colors to see on the highway. My neighbor lady got rid of a silver Ford Exployer, claimed too many old duffers were pulling out in front of her on side roads because they didn't see her. Having a silver beast does do one thing for us, makes us think that every vehicle out there could be after us and a potential traffic accident. Thinking they are all out to get me and that no one sees me on the bike has saved me over the years. Yellow would have been a lot safer color.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Silver

Ahh, you non-silver owners are just jealous.
Silver is also fastest!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
No one in their right mind would ride a yellow goldwing its the most disgusting colour on the market. Honda have said when they have the remainder sold they will never have another yellow wing. Arrrrrrrrrrh / /
:evil: :twisted: :roll: :x :? :shock: For the record and from an expert in this field the number one safest colour is WHITE and the most dangerous colour is GREEN. But i would not part with my 02 ellsn red, and she is quite capable of reaching the LEGAL SPEED LIMIT in comfort.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Big Red,

Apparently you don't like the color Yellow. However many of my friends like Yellow, and I know that they are just nice, sane people.

I know of some folks that don't like that talking fish, hanging on a wall. But I bet they would fight for the right of others to own and hang one.

It is all about taste and sometimes, what is available!

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Colors

I have a new 04 Metallic red 1800. It looks nice and glows in the sun. My favorite color of any vehicle I have ever had is the Pearl Blue of the 01 Wing. Most of the vehicles I have had have been blue, but none so pretty as the 01. I hope Honda comes to its senses and reintroduces that color as a standard.

I think the pearl yellow Wing is a special yellow, and while it is not my favorite color, I think it has class and there is no doubt of its safety in visibility. I caught up with my friend, Stewart, one morning in very heavy fog. I could start to see a yellow glow ahead as I closed the gap. But then, a Surburban appeared between us with its lights son, and then a police car that also had it lights on. These vehicles were half the distance ahead of me that Stewart was, and I saw his yellow Wing glow long before I saw the much closser vehicles.

Unfortunately, Stewart was riding his older single headlight dark colored Sabre two months ago and a kid did a u turn into stewarts path while looking straight at Stewart. Stewart barely missed a head on but hit the side of the car, flying high in the air and hitting on his head. The bike was totaled and the car may also be totaled. Stewart had two broken wrists and a mangled knee. He was not riding the yellow wing because he wanted to save the tires for a final trip the week after.

There is no doubt that the kid would have noticed Stewart on the yellow Wing. Stewart was the fourth in a line of six vehicles. Vehicle six hit vehicle 5 also. The kid was not ticketed, even though he clearly admited what he did.

I think it is time that we face up to the fact that a lot of people do not see single headlights and narrow vehicles as a vehicle. They are on a cell phone and only programmed to see cars or bigger vehicles.

Headlights out where the mirrors are is a step in the right direction to avoid being a victim. I have not done that yet, but will. I have the wide set fog lights and always have them on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts