GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to post what happened last week on my Pirelli Eufori equipped 1800.

I was feeling a little frisky and while leaving a stop sign and decided I would put the front wheel in the air a little. I had started rolling and was doing less than 5 miles per hour. I clutched, brought the R's up and dumped the clutch. Before, with the M/C tire, it would maybe chirp and away I would go.

This time the front wheel stayed down and the back tire broke loose emitting a squeal just like you would hear when laying rubber with non-posi car. It surprised me.

I have repeated the procedure a couple of times and did not get the same results. On those times the front end came up as planned.

I'm thinking there may have been a little sand or something on the road. Not enought that you notice normally, though.

Am I to deduct that, if there is something on the road to deter from traction, that the bike tire works best because there is more pressure per square inch on the rubber that's hitting the road? Or is there another explanation.

Remember that in other attempts to repeat it, on dry road, I could not.

Thanks

·
Registered
598 Posts
trialsman said:
Am I to deduct that, if there is something on the road to deter from traction, that the bike tire works best because there is more pressure per square inch on the rubber that's hitting the road? Or is there another explanation.
Any answer would have to be based on pure speculation (guesswork). Unless the identical conditions were duplicated with a m/c tire, and the results tabulated, your own guess is a good as anyone's. The fact that you were not able to duplicate the spinning in other locations would seem to indicate that it might have been specific to whatever the traction conditions were in that spot.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
'Not sure exactly what all the circumstances were. I can scratch mine fairly easy. It does make a high pitched scream when it breaks loose. The one time I really got it spinning on dry pavement, it locked up within 10 feet and I was gone! I’ve had people report my front tire sometimes comes off the ground – probably a 6-inch hop like the ones I’ve seen you do.

I prefer the CT on roads with sand or gravel on them for two reasons. First, its larger contact patch is more likely to find something to grab on to – idea based on conjecture. Second, if the tire does break loose going forward, it does not slide out to the side like a MT will – knowledge based on experience.

As for the pressure on the tire, Max brought up that a large contact patch with the same weight will give you less traction per square inch. How it will play out in the real world, I don’t know. I do know how to test it though – anyone have a MT I can use to run a dozen or so burn-outs to see what it will do? I’ll use my CT when its tread is about gone. Also, keep your eyes out for an upcoming deal on a used GL1800 – ridden lightly, only for a few tests and demonstrations; might need clutch work…

·
Registered
598 Posts
tomfranken said:
As for the pressure on the tire, Max brought up that a large contact patch with the same weight will give you less traction per square inch. How it will play out in the real world, I don’t know.
Less traction per square inch, but more square inches. So on some surfaces it might come out even. And that, my guess is, is where it's all at - the surface. On some surfaces you want maximum ground pressure/psi, on others a lower pressure and more surface are going to be best. If we were always riding on nice, clean, dry, concrete it would be relatively easy. But surface conditions change, and some of us go willingly to places wiser riders would avoid. :lol: That's where the CT comes in - it seems to be far more forgiving of our human frailties.

tomfranken said:
Also, keep your eyes out for an upcoming deal on a used GL1800 – ridden lightly, only for a few tests and demonstrations; might need clutch work…
:lol:

Is this little old lady rider anyone known around here? :lol:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
you will always get a better contact point with a mc tire, different rubber compound an tread pattern, a car tire's sipes bend easily and require a lot more weight to gain traction, on the plus side, you get a softer ride on a mc.

·
Registered
973 Posts
gmk1800 - I think you made that up. How would you know that a car tires sipes bend (more) easily? The softer ride realized from using a CT on a motorcycle is mainly due to the lower pressure used but also somewhat from the more pliable sidewalls as well I imagine. When I put 40psi in my CT it rode very similar to a MT.

Where you referring to the CT's sidewalls when you typed "sipes"?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
sipes are the grooves or cuts that are in or on a car tire's tread, take your fingernail and push it into a car tire tread, and then a mc tire, your nail will go into the car tire and not the mc tire due to the compound and tread design differences. if you actually research it the mc tire actually has a larger contact patch and it runs the lenght of the tire, a car tire's contact patch runs the width of the tire making it easier to break free, especially in wet or slippery conditions.

·
Registered
598 Posts
gmk1800 said:
you will always get a better contact point with a mc tire, different rubber compound an tread pattern, a car tire's sipes bend easily and require a lot more weight to gain traction, on the plus side, you get a softer ride on a mc.
Not quite sure what you mean by "contact point"? Are you stating that the contact between a m/c tire and the surface are always better? Or that the shape of the contact patch is more favorable. Not looking to dissent, rather to understand your statement.

The car tire in your example would undboubtedly be using a softer durometer rubber in the tread, or else the siping (named after John Sipe, BTW - today's trivia lesson :lol: ) is closer together so there is less rubber to support it. But I agree with you, if you put localized pressure against the siping on many car tires (such as my Michelin X-Ice) it will deform more easily than the siping on some of my m/c tires. The exception that I can identify right off the top of my head is the Michelin X-11 trials tire that I bought, hoping to be able to use as a front tire for the Wing. Being that that particular tire is designed to grip just about any surface with the tenacity of a spider's foot, it has very soft durometer rubber, and more siping than virtually any other m/c tire I've seen. It doesn't take much of a push to deform one of the knobs on that tire.

Also agree that the car tire is designed for more ground pressure, i.e. psi, to give its full traction, but the fact that a m/c weighs less than a car, therefore has less inertia, allows the underweighted car tire on the back of the Wing to accelerate quite well, as I've been happy to discover. On an icy surface I can stay with just about any 4-wheel drive vehicle. It just takes a judicious touch with the right wrist. :wink:

·
Registered
598 Posts
gmk1800 said:
if you actually research it the mc tire actually has a larger contact patch and it runs the lenght of the tire, a car tire's contact patch runs the width of the tire making it easier to break free, especially in wet or slippery conditions.
You'll need narrow down your definition of "slippery conditions" for that last statement to be true. So far I haven't found that to be the case at all. While in theory what you say has merit, in actual practice it doesn't work that way.
Like so many things with the car tire - it just doesn't work the way common knowledge says it has to. As with so many new, or innovative, methods, we are first discovering what happens, and still waiting to find out why.

·
Registered
973 Posts
gmk1800 said "if you actually research it the mc tire actually has a larger contact patch and it runs the length of the tire, a car tire's contact patch runs the width of the tire making it easier to break free, especially in wet or slippery conditions."

Dude,

Obviously neither one of us is a tire engineer, however:
1) A motorcycle tire does not necessarily have a larger contact patch than a car tire. Pure and simple it has to do with tire inflation pressure vs. tire load and to some degree sidewall stiffness. 2) The contact patch of a properly inflated motorcycle tire is longer than it is wide but it does not “run the length of the tire”. In total square inches it is usually smaller than the contact patch of a properly inflated car tire on the same bike. See statement #1. 3) Almost everyone who has experience with a car tire on a motorcycle has found that the car tire has equal or superior traction to a motorcycle tire in wet or slippery conditions.

You are coming into this late my friend. Go read all the posts found in this thread http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=65510 then come back and we’ll have a discussion.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
go to hals post on this subject, by bridgestone

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
go to hals post on this subject, by bridgestone

That is old news.

This Darksider board was created for those who use C/T's to share information with each other,And for those interested in learning what the guys who are running them are finding out good or bad..

gmk1800 I got to ask...
Why are you posting such dribble here,???
Your life that boring that you feel the need to try and Piss in this pond for no other reason than you can???

Get the hell out in the garage and do something useful for a change.and polish that wing of yours.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I tried it, it turned a good handling bike into a ver poor handling bike, if you ever had to make an evasive manuever in an emergency , good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
8) Amazing, I had an 00 , my 02, and now my 06 and would like to have known about the car tire earlier, to have put it on my 02. I am not a fast rider, or agressive. I ride my wing for work and pleasure. I have not found one thing to complain about with the tire, if I do, I will let you all know.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
gmk1800 said:
I tried it, it turned a good handling bike into a ver poor handling bike, if you ever had to make an evasive manuever in an emergency , good luck!

I do and can.Don't blame the tire,Try more parking lot practice,and you'll be able to do evasive maneuvers more easily..or a ERC to brush up on your skill level..we all could use this from time to time,as we get older we tend to forget things.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Rocky said:
This Darksider board was created for those who use C/T's to share information with each other,And for those interested in learning what the guys who are running them are finding out good or bad..

Get the hell out in the garage and do something useful for a change.and polish that wing of yours.
I think Hal should have labeled this board "Darksiders and Keyboard Riders". :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
598 Posts
gmk1800 said:
This statement, along with the other broad assertionss you've made in this thread, have me doubting that you ever tried the car tire despite your claim. If you did, and didn't find any of the attributes those of us running car tires have discovered, why didn't you come to the riders who are running car tires with great success and ask for help?
You read as though your only experience with the car tire is vicariously through Max's post. :lol:

·
Registered
973 Posts
DARSKSIDERS and KEYBOARD RIDERS!!!

LMAO! I wish I had come up with that one.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rocky said:
gmk1800 said:

I do and can.Don't blame the tire,Try more parking lot practice,and you'll be able to do evasive maneuvers more easily..or a ERC to brush up on your skill level..we all could use this from time to time,as we get older we tend to forget things.

+1

1 - 20 of 25 Posts