GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Wing out of state. At the time my local dealer did not carry Wings even though they were a Honda dealer.

The bike I purchased from them was a new Vulcan 1500 Classic.
I would have purchased the Wing from them as my experience at Purcell's on Blanding Blvd. in Orange Park / Jacksonville was excellent. Everyone from the sales department including the service / parts folks were the best.

To my surprise the other day I stopped by to get a set of tires and they had almost a dozen new Wings on the floor.

Personally I like to stick with a dealer that treats me right. These guys
not only cut me a great deal on the Vulcan but years ago on a Kawasaki Concours they treated me right. Conversely the dealer on Atlantic Blvd in JAX screwed my son to the wall

I hope this shameless vote of confidence for Purcell's MC in Jacksonville is permitted.

RJ

PS I have no interest in this company other than that of a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Great to hear about a good dealer.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
... the dealer on Atlantic Blvd in JAX screwed my son to the wall
sometimes we feel a dealer "has screwed us", when it's more accurate to say "we allowed the dealer to screw us". I definitely feel this way when I bought a limited edition Harley a few years ago. The salesman threw out a high $$ figure, and stupidly I accepted it without further negotiating. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Yes, certainly would be great to see the monies spent locally. I couldn't get even close to dealing with them (or any other) dearler within 200 miles of Jax., so as you, I bought out of state. With Southern Powersports now in Orlando, and a couple of other Powersport dealers close by since I bought, maybe some eyes are opening?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
sometimes we feel a dealer "has screwed us", when it's more accurate to say "we allowed the dealer to screw us". I definitely feel this way when I bought a limited edition Harley a few years ago. The salesman threw out a high $$ figure, and stupidly I accepted it without further negotiating. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
A few years ago, there was no negotiations on HD prices. Especially Screaming Eagle models and some high demand models.
You either paid the asking price or you walked.
I walked to the nearest Wing Dealer and got $4,000 off MSRP + $2500 more for my Ultra trade in than HD was giving!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Been there, done that.

Always good to hear of a Wing Dealer who treats their customers fairly. You never know when you may be in their area, and need Parts or Service.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fred,

How true.
At the time my son would not let me help him. Very stubborn.
Since then (after he crashed that 636) He let me help him on the next one.

RJ

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Good smart dealers will cut their profit margin on the sale by as much as 75% and make money on selling you accessories, parts and service. You can sell a bike just so often, you can sell a / p / s lot of times over and over.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wouldn't walk into Purcells in Jax to buy a piece of bubble gum. Just my opinion. Glad it worked for you though.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I got a great deal from the Honda dealership in St. Augustine, right in your back yard. I'll admit that I had to find the best deal in the southeast US and then tell them that they could match it or I would buy elsewhere. They hesitated and I started to walk but as I suspected, they matched the price. May not be the best deal in the world but I got a 2008 three years ago for $16,900 all in before tax. I was happy with that.

Jeff...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
:agree:
I wouldn't walk into Purcells in Jax to buy a piece of bubble gum. Just my opinion. Glad it worked for you though.
:agree:

I can't say enough about staying the he!! OUT of Purcells. $8,000 spent on my 1200 and now it does not run. I put it in for a tune up and new brakes... they tried to send me on my way without bleeding the breaks. Drove the bike there... towed it home and there it sits. Sad

Good dealer... First Coast Honda in St Augustine. Just purchased another bike from them last week. Excellent dealer IMHO.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would love to do business with Purcells...they are right down the street. However, after checking tire prices and availability, I had no choice but to go to Atlantic Blvd. A side note...Orange Park Powersports is shut down and Purcells will now include Suzuki in their lineup, which is a good thing since I now own two Burgmans.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:agree::agree:

I can't say enough about staying the he!! OUT of Purcells. $8,000 spent on my 1200 and now it does not run. I put it in for a tune up and new brakes... they tried to send me on my way without bleeding the breaks. Drove the bike there... towed it home and there it sits. Sad

Good dealer... First Coast Honda in St Augustine. Just purchased another bike from them last week. Excellent dealer IMHO.
DJ

Sorry you had a bad experience at Purcell's.

I understand they have a new General Manager. I guess that is an effort to make things right.

I had a warranty issue on an aftermarket part I purchased somewhere else that they installed for me. The tach had an issue for more than a year

It did not take them a year to fix it, it took me a year to find the time to get the bike there. Normally most places tell you a warranty expires that far out.. They didn't even question it, they just fixed it.

{{ I travel for work the better part of the year, sometimes 25 days out of the month so getting the time to drive to JAX is problematic for me.}}

The folks at the St. Augustine store are nice enough but I could never come to terms on any deal either for myself or my son when he was trying to buy a bike. That's just the way it goes sometimes. I live just down the street from their old location on RT 16. They kept their inventory outside in crates.

If you looked closely at the 'new' bikes on the floor you could see rust and Corrosion in all those hard to get to places on the brand new bikes.!
Even the bikes that were in for service were out in the rain when not being worked on. Made me cringe.

They may have a new storage facility for the new inventory now that they have moved to RT 1.

DJ you may want to talk to the new GM at Purcell's if you have not already.

RJ

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
All I know is Purcell's killed my 1200.

Unless they have performed major peersonell changes, I will not go back into that stink hole.

Besides, they can't can't touch First Coast Honda's customer service. FCH will pickup AND drop off your bike for service. They have a loaner wing. They are open 7 days a week. The list goes on and on.

Now if tires are what you are after... Honda of Jacksonville is the cheapest... BAR NONE. They no longer carry the metzler brand so ssssssstiinks for me but $320 out the door including installation with MISMATCHED tires is what I am used to at H.O.J.. $300 for a matched set. INSTALLED

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All I know is Purcell's killed my 1200.

Unless they have performed major peersonell changes, I will not go back into that stink hole.

Besides, they can't can't touch First Coast Honda's customer service. FCH will pickup AND drop off your bike for service. They have a loaner wing. They are open 7 days a week. The list goes on and on.

Now if tires are what you are after... Honda of Jacksonville is the cheapest... BAR NONE. They no longer carry the metzler brand so ssssssstiinks for me but $320 out the door including installation with MISMATCHED tires is what I am used to at H.O.J.. $300 for a matched set. INSTALLED

Understand. Thanks for the update on tire prices.

RJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts