GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is set at 15 which is OK for me, but it will not adjust up or down anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks, Joe (of JoeDee)

·
Vendor
17,793 Posts
What adjustment is set at 15? Are you referring to the rear suspension setting from the LH panel? If so, what do you mean it will not go higher or lower then 15?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Joe: The rear shock on these GL1800's is an "electric over hydraulic" unit. What that means is that whenever you adjust up or down an electric motor either pushes on or relaxes off the piston. This piston pushes on or relaxes oil pressure into the shock itself. When you increase the # the bike will rise up. When you lower the # the bike will lower. My first guess here is that you should look at the electrical side first. If you have a good (Honda preffered) service manual they have excellant wiring diagrams.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What year? Warantee? Dumb question. Are you trying to move the preload with it in gear? She has to be stopped in Neutral for the preloader to move.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supension adjuster on my GL1800

It is an 2006, out of warranty, and the fuse looks good. I tried the adjustments on the left hand panel per manual, in neutral.
It show the setting at 15, but will not go up or down. If I ride with a pillon, I like to set it higher, but now it won't change at all.
Thx, Joe (of JoeDee).

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Disconnect your battery for a minute and let the microprocessor reset. Try it again and make sure it's running in neutral. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
techdude might be onto something, but if there's an error in the control unit, it will tell you there's an error and won't go any further until you pull the POSITIVE battery terminal for at least 10 minutes.

If it's not telling you there's an error, then check the switch connections and also the relay bank. There are three relays involved. One is the main power, one is the up and one is a down. Uncover them and put your finger on them when you hit the switch. If you don't feel a click......

The rear shock is worked by a worm gear which puts pressure on a piston.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks gentlemen,
I will try the disconnect in the AM, too tired tonight to deal with the issue. I will post results tomorrow.
Joe (of JoeDee)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved!:coffee1:
Disconnected the battery....took a break....came back and reattached hot wire to battery....nothing new!
So took off left fairing pocket, took off the adjuster panel below, wire harness to the panel was unplugged. Sprayed electrical cleaner in on the contacts, plugged in and now can adjust preload again....and an extra benefit of having emergency flashers also working again.
Thinking back now, I think the harness plug to the preload was inadvently left unplugged by the dealer when I had the bike in for it's 65K service.

Thanks again for your responses and giving me some direction to work in.

Joe (of JoeDee)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts