GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All: I need your sage advice. I just picked up an 02 Wing with 127K miles from board member Tim (Mojoman). It is in great cosmetic shape and appears good mechanically, no issues after 1000 miles. I weigh 150lbs and ride conservatively. The fork seals were serviced at 100k miles and do not leak. I don't notice much nose dive at all. I wrapped a zip tie around the fork just above the seal. Put the bike on the centerstand and rocked back and forth. The fork compressed about half an inch. What I'm trying to decide is whether my suspension really needs work for my style of riding. I'm thinking of only doing Traxxion fork springs, rear shock, and fork brace or just leaving it alone. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I don't notice much nose dive at all. I wrapped a zip tie around the fork just above the seal. Put the bike on the centerstand and rocked back and forth. The fork compressed about half an inch. What I'm trying to decide is whether my suspension really needs work for my style of riding. I'm thinking of only doing Traxxion fork springs, rear shock, and fork brace or just leaving it alone.
Sounds like it may already have upgraded front springs. Stock sag way more than that. Ask the previous owner what he did or knows about its history.

Trev.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Steve, best you just search, read and make up your own mind about suspension modifications...it cuts down on the confusion and blood-letting. To many opinions on this forum from those that don't know what works and those that think they do.

Good luck.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ride it a while and see how you like it as it is. IF you decide later that you would like to change it, then you can do your "homework" and see what is out there.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Ride it a while and see how you like it as it is. IF you decide later that you would like to change it, then you can do your "homework" and see what is out there.

:agree:

When I bought mine it had 43K, I rode it for a while then added Progressive front springs, All Balls steering head bearings, & Traxxion fork brace noticing a big improvement with each. I am about 180 geared up & ride fairly conservative most of the time. Things to look for are bottoming out over bumps, wobble when decelerating at about 30-40mph, forks feeling like they are flexing at parking lot speeds, front end locking up going over bumps when braking, etc. If and as you notice these things you can look at making changes but the best thing is to get a feel for it first to see if it suits you as it is now.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Steve,

Sounds like your bike has been well taken care of. Just don't be too quick to spend big bucks when you might not need to.

Ride your Wing and see if it suits you. If you don't attack corners and being a light rider, the stock suspension may work just fine for you.

The advice about seeing what was done to your bike by previous owners is good, ask the person you bought it from, so you know the history.

I had an issue with my '04 Wing, and in trying to solve it, I spent money that didn't really need to be spent. I installed a Traxxion suspension at the advice of someone on this list, and while it improved some issues, it didn't solve my main issue, and like you I ride conservatively, so it was really not needed.

I didn't need the upgrade because the stock suspension suited me just fine. So be careful to not just make modifications that you may not need.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I found the best way to improve the suspension is by putting lots of chrome on the bike. If it looks good, it feels good!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Ride it and make your own evaluation. If you honestly don't like the ride or think you need an upgrade..go for it. Just don't spend your money based on what your read that you need or what OTHER people think you should have/do. If it suits you...it's fine. If not, research and do what will suit YOUR needs.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
150 pounds? You can't play here until you put on some weight. LOL

I have a Traxxion suspension and love it but I too think you could not go wrong by putting a few thousand miles on the bike before you do anything. You will get a better feel for what is right and what isn't quite to your liking. If you are still curious after some miles make an appointment for a free Traxxion test ride.

If you don't have a Traxxion or other 5-piece fork brace that would be a good place to start, regardless of any other changes.

When I was deciding what to do on my bike Max told me I'd get about 70% front end improvement just by having their springs, the brace and defeating the anti-dive while having the forks serviced. I did the whole deal and am happy I did but I put 14K on the bike before I did anything other than add the brace.

Whatever you decide to do enjoy the ride and the process!

Hector

Hi All: I need your sage advice. I just picked up an 02 Wing with 127K miles from board member Tim (Mojoman). It is in great cosmetic shape and appears good mechanically, no issues after 1000 miles. I weigh 150lbs and ride conservatively. The fork seals were serviced at 100k miles and do not leak. I don't notice much nose dive at all. I wrapped a zip tie around the fork just above the seal. Put the bike on the centerstand and rocked back and forth. The fork compressed about half an inch. What I'm trying to decide is whether my suspension really needs work for my style of riding. I'm thinking of only doing Traxxion fork springs, rear shock, and fork brace or just leaving it alone. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Your weight and the bikes age---I would TRAXXION springs, fresh fork oil, change seals and bushings on forks. Fresh oil and filter/air filter, ALL BAlls, plugs, tires if needed, fork brace. Good to go another 50K

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Steve
If your not having an issue with the ride as is, why even think about changing it? This is not a maintenance issue.
If you are, then do the research. Mines a 2001 and I'm still happy with the feel...

·
Registered
927 Posts
Steve
The simple way to measure sag is to get the bike on two wheels, get on, balance lightly, and get someone to slide the zip tie all the way down. Then get the front wheel in the air, carefully, and measure the exposed fork. It's not perfect because of stiction, but it will do.

Stock is about 75mm, which I think is way too much. Progressive dual rate springs, maybe 45. Straight rate springs, about 40 or a little less.

Springs, shock, and brace are a decent plan. If you do do springs, you should do fork oil, it's little additional work. Personally, I'd also take the time to do, or have someone do, a check of the bushings. You don't say if they were changed at 100K, but the wear experienced here varies dramatically, and to have them need replacement after 27K is not rare. It's a bit of work, not huge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts