GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to lower the Goldwing (on the rear).

The motivation is for the bike to have the same height with a 70 tire (or close to) as it does with a 60...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Is there any way to lower the Goldwing (on the rear).

The motivation is for the bike to have the same height with a 70 tire (or close to) as it does with a 60...
Traxxion's shock is adjustable for height. You can lift the rear 1/2", which is what I did, and I'm running a 70 to boot, or you can go stock, lower it 1/2" or lower it 1".

Note the grooves for moving the base preload position, there is also an adjustment on the clevis;

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would imagin if you didnt not want to spend the money you maybe able to cut a second groove in the stock shock with a lathe. I would spend the money and get the traxxion rear shock if your not on a tight budget.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
tried a 70 and i cant say how bad i hated it!!!! good luck!!

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Here's a thought. Why not just mount the tires on the bike that it was intended to have? Problem solved.
I just don't understand this line of thought. It's OK to change out the windshield, use a different oil than suggested and change it at a different rate than suggested, modify buttons to do something other than they are intended to do, add a bunch of stuff to make your bike look like an airplane ****pit, but mention something about changing tires from stock is taboo.:shrug:
I guess the tires should only be replaced with what came stock on the bike also (Dunlop) ?

By the way,I do love your videos, replaced the front tire on my bike yesterday with your help, thanks!

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I just don't understand this line of thought.
Maybe I can splain it to you.

You changed from the stock size tire for whatever reason. In itself there is nothing wrong with that. But now you notice that it has an adverse side effect you don't like, and you are looking for a solution. I guarantee you that Fred's solution will fix the problem. I don't know about you, but I understood his line of thought.:shrug: He was trying to tell you that it isn't worth the drawback it created.

Most of the supposedly clever modifications that people come up with have drawbacks and side effects. You have to decide whether you are willing to live with it. You could, of course, spend hundreds of dollars on a new shock and spring to correct this problem. You could also find yourself a Harley momma and put her on the back. Then you can search for a solution to those side effects, etc. etc.

BTW, it's not taboo any more than an aftermarket windshield is. If a windshield caused an adverse side effect, I can assure you that one of the suggestions would be to go back to stock.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting comments. I appreciate everyone's input.

I do have full Traxxion, and I had Max lowered the rear shock as much as it could be lowered. My bike rides great!!

On the use of the 70: Your neurological system has to be turned off if you cannot tell that a 70 size tire allows this bike to synch the rpm/gear ratio a lot more efficiently than the stocker 60........on top of that, it is more comfortable, has better clearance, Superb grip (Avon Venom), at minimum, as good or better grip than the OEM Metz, I am convience it shifts smoother with the 70, the load rating is higher, and the bonus speedo corrected is good. I speculate the Wing will travel more effortlessly, thus last longer with less trouble, operating on the rpm/gear ratio prompted by 70s.

The handling deviations caused by the 70 are not experienced by everyone. I healed mine by osmousis when I changed rims. The only thing that I would accomplish by lowering the rear is standing at the lights more comfortably with a hair lower center of gravity. Once the bike is rolling, the 70 outperforms with more efficient attributes than the 60--in my view!

Wolf,
...not everyone needs to come off the curves...flying! Moreover, some guys who hot-rod on the 70, contrary to you, think this tire allows the bike to 'fall' into the turn easier. Here, I am out of my league on riding skills. However, I 'll note the ditchotomy of using a suite cases laden 800 lbs touring-motto for hot-roding! If you really address your riding style you would completely discard the use of the entire Wing, not just the mod tire--hey! you already have done that.

ditto on Fred's video fan

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
One suggestion elsewhere was to put thicker soles on your riding boots!

Trev.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
:wrong::eek:4::congrats::bow:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If you have lowered it 1" with the Traxxion shock and have a 70, then you are actually about a 1/4" lower than with the 60. If you want to lower it more and don't want to do seat mods, you'd need to find or have made, longer suspension links. These are pretty common for other bikes, but I've not seen them for the Wing. They are not that complicated, just two "dogbones". You could probably have a set machined, using the originals as a template.

That said, you'd need to make sure that the tire has clearance to handle the rear being loaded before attempting this. I'm wondering if Max settled on 1" for the maximim lowering based on tire clearance.

Here is a link to an article on the subject;
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0210_lower/index.html

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fazer,

When I lowered the rear with Max it only went down a few milimiters. It was the best they could in their expert opinion. So, not one inch at all.

I can look into the idea you propose. Though I be afraid to stick machine-made parts on something like the suspension. I ain't that mechanically inclined and would prefer something engineered by an outfit who knows what they are doing....cause I certainly don't.

Thanks, interesting...I 'll talk it over with a couple of wrench-guys

·
Registered
581 Posts
One suggestion elsewhere was to put thicker soles on your riding boots.

That's actually the best advice. I'm 5'9" (If I stand very errect!!) I bought a pair of Doc Martens, with the very thick soles and they are better than any lowering kit ever.....and it didn't change the handling and the clearence is great!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
70 series

I run the 70 series Elete III and the Traxion upgrade to the Honda shock.
If I run the shock setting around 5 - 6 I can feel tire rub in the inner fender with the series 70 tire.
So be careful for you do along your line of thought.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
One suggestion elsewhere was to put thicker soles on your riding boots.

That's actually the best advice. I'm 5'9" (If I stand very errect!!) I bought a pair of Doc Martens, with the very thick soles and they are better than any lowering kit ever.....and it didn't change the handling and the clearence is great!!
When I corresponded with Nando about this, his main beef doesn't seem to be reaching the ground, but rather the higher center of gravity that the rear tire gives the bike. It makes it tougher to handle in slow tight turns.

I don't know if that is a real problem or not, but I am going to find out fairly soon because after putting my new Progressive rear shock and spring on the bike, it sits quite a bit higher. The bike leans at a fairly steep angle now when it is on the side stand, even with the suspension set at zero.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
When I corresponded with Nando about this, his main beef doesn't seem to be reaching the ground, but rather the higher center of gravity that the rear tire gives the bike. It makes it tougher to handle in slow tight turns.

I don't know if that is a real problem or not, but I am going to find out fairly soon because after putting my new Progressive rear shock and spring on the bike, it sits quite a bit higher. The bike leans at a fairly steep angle now when it is on the side stand, even with the suspension set at zero.
If that is the only issue, then I suggest a little practice would make the problem disappear. If you bought a new and different bike, it would require practice to get confidence, so a significant change in a bike you are used to would require a new practice session to get used to the new feel.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think AZ and Larry hit on the problem.
...and its not needing practice or trouble handling the bike at slow manuevers. But no matter how you look at it, this 800lbs beast is more easy to handle with lower center of gravity than with higher.

The thing that made me not whimp about the center of gravity too much was when I sat on a Beemer...Lord! those things are so top heavy it is ridiculous.

Anyways, I think it would be nice to run the 70 on the same height at the stock.

What if I put the stock rear shock, would that lower the bike? by how much?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I think the main reason most people put the 70's on the back is correct the speedo, put in a speedo healer for around $100.00 and problem solved. That's what I'm going to do when I change the tires on my 08. As for spending over $2,000.00 to upgrade shocks, I just can't see that. I guess I would have to ride a bike with that upgrade to really see why they do it. I can run twisties fast enough with the stock suspension. If I wanted to run twisties at 100 mph I would of bought a sports bike. :eek:4:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts