GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am actually pretty pleased with the ride quality and road holding capabilities of the stock suspension on my 2019 DCT, particularly for slabbing, but also for a lot of rural stuff that I regularly ride. I routinely run twisty roads with dramatic elevation changes, but always without pillion. So far, up until today, I was pretty pleased. I have accepted that the Goldwing is not a sport bike, so the fact that I can run quite a bit faster through many segments on my ZX14R than I can on the Wing hasn't bothered me.

But today I ran a segment that I've run many times on other bikes, including big heavy bikes, and this segment has always been a challenge for the big heavy bikes, but I was a bit surprised at how much of a challenge it was on the Wing.

It is a series of fairly tight (sometimes more than 180 degree) arcs. The speed limit is 55 nominal, but 35 to 45 posted in some areas. The elevation change is a drop on the order of 5% or 6%, and then a similar rise, over the course of several miles.

On the ZX14R or on a Tiger Explorer, or on a Supermoto, it is not hard to stay above 55 mph.

On big heavy bikes, like Rocket III Touring, F6B, K16GTL, ST1300, etc, it is hard to press to the speed limit.

On the 2019 DCT, I was surprised at how much work it was to stay at 55. I felt like I was barely able to hold the arcs at 55 mph in several instances. I felt like I was really getting close to the pegs at 55 mph.

What I want to know is this: If the bike is sticking to the road, and is not bottoming out or pogo-sticking, can one expect a speed increase going through this segment by going to a fancy aftermarket shocks without getting rid of the gigantic tires? My sense is that the bike is wheelbase and tire size limited ... but what do I know?

If you think the shock change would help, what's the reasoning? Just curious.

Reactions: its just rain

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
With the new development of the '18 suspension, it was the worse suspension I've ever had on a Wing (my 4th) and the first time I immediately felt the need to do the upgrade to Traxion. Yes, it rode like a horrible pogo stick and I even launched my wife off the seat for the first time (before the suspension upgrade).

·
Registered
153 Posts
I changed to TRAXXION on my 2018 manual, which I traded and on my new 2019DCT. MAX sets the spring rate for you and your passenger if applicable and luggage. After more than 18000 miles Ive never scrapped my bike . Im sure if I wanted to I could exaggerate the lean angle and touch . But the TRAXXION suspension with the correct spring rate really does improve the bikes handling . The bike DOESNT POGO and is more "planted"

·
Registered
218 Posts
On any motorcycle correctly done suspension upgrades make the bike more controllable though corners. Suspension upgrades reduce pitching and wallowing which upset the bikes suspension and make a rider more confident and allow faster more controlled riding. The ability to tune compression and rebound damping (with clickers)gives you the ability to make the bike feel and act like you want it to act. You need not ride the bike faster to be more in control of the machine. Many riders think that they may not need aftermarket suspension because they don't ride too fast. The reality is that every rider wants and needs to always be in control of their motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sounds like you found your limit before the bike did. If you didnt scrape the pegs the bike had more to give. Cant really group this bike into "a big bike" category, with especially the ones you listed. Theyre all very different. How long have you had this bike? Perhaps itll take some time to get used to its limits. Sounds like a great road though

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far we have 6 responses and no answers.

Read the post. These curves can be readily dealt with at 55 mph, near scraping.

There is nothing productive about scraping.

The bike handles fine, but is heavy and not effortless. This is to be expected.

What I asked is “if you think a suspension upgrade would allow an increase in speed, what’s your reasoning?”

The bike is wheel base, cg, and giant tire limited. If suspension holds the line well at the limits, why would a suspension upgrade make it faster?

The honest answer is that it won’t.

If your bike is pogo- sticking, harsh, or otherwise unruly, you could benefit from a suspension change. My bike’s not ...

Reactions: Bayrec and Robert H

·
Registered
259 Posts
Stiffer spring will keep the suspension from compressing in the corner giving you a bit more lean angle or more speed at the same lean angle, but adjusting what you have to a stiffer setting will accomplish the same. Unless you are maxed out on your settings now.

·
Registered
219 Posts

What I asked is “if you think a suspension upgrade would allow an increase in speed, what’s your reasoning?”

The bike is wheel base, cg, and giant tire limited. If suspension holds the line well at the limits, why would a suspension upgrade make it faster?

The honest answer is that it won’t.

I own a 2007 Wing and never tested the new 1833, but I've Traxxioned my bike and she's far better on the twisties than was with the OEM suspension.

The first thing that happens when you do an input on the bars to lean the bike, is the suspension compress a bit. The less the suspension compress, the better feeling of nimbleness you'll get. The harder the suspension is set up, the less it compress at this point.

My OEM suspension was set hard, was harsh but compressed at the first input. The Traxxion compress less and is way more confy.

A poor suspension sinks too much and bike geometries get "flatter" and therefore, lazy to get on the lean. The deeper you lean the bike, more difficult to hold the curve line you'll find.

A good suspension holds the bike geometries, so you get a much nimble bike to lean and to hold the roud line when you lean hard and then, when you open the throttle, the rear suspension w'ont sink and the bike holds the line.

Sorry if it is hard to understand my point. Not easy for me explain it in English, I've tried my best.:grin2:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
With the new development of the '18 suspension, it was the worse suspension I've ever had on a Wing (my 4th) and the first time I immediately felt the need to do the upgrade to Traxion. Yes, it rode like a horrible pogo stick and I even launched my wife off the seat for the first time (before the suspension upgrade).
I could not have said it better:yes1:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you suggesting that a rider cannot be in control with the stock suspension on the 18-19 GL1800? It would seem a bit ludicrous to release a bike that nobody can control!!!
Why would you think that? I specifically said the fork on the 2001-2017 Gl1800 sucks. The anti dive crap on the fork is ludicrous . If you don't believe me ask Paul Thede. I think the guy that originally ask for help was talking about 2008 GL.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had a 2007 wing with a traxxion suspension for 7 years, my 2018 wing rides and handles much better than my 2007 ever did. the new wing is the best yet

Reactions: thekid and El Toro

·
Registered
136 Posts
I normally don't rely to these types of questions since I really don't know what I'm talking about regarding suspensions. But...
With all due respect, and since it was brought up...

How the heck do you "launch your wife off of the seat" and it's the fault of the suspension? Sounds more like you hit a speed bump or something way too fast.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I normally don't rely to these types of questions since I really don't know what I'm talking about regarding suspensions. But...
With all due respect, and since it was brought up...

How the heck do you "launch your wife off of the seat" and it's the fault of the suspension? Sounds more like you hit a speed bump or something way too fast.

I guess what I meant was, what caused this event and is it reasonable to infer that a different suspension (such as traxion) would have prevented it? I'm just picturing " launched off of the seat" as a pretty significant event - maybe a bit of an exaggeration?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts