GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I will take some heat for this but it was the only way to get the trike out of Minnesota in Jan. with 3 ft of snow on the ground and icy roads. I put the trike in an enclosed trailer tied it down and set out on a 5500 mile trip to the south and west. Now that I am home and started riding it the suspension seems alot softer than it used to be both front and back. I am wondering if having the springs compressed for all those miles and with the bouncing in the trailer it took some of the tension out of them making the ride softer now? It doesn't bottom out or anything like that, it just has a softer ride now. Has anybody experinced anything like this ??

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
:shrug:
I have NEVER heard of any one with a Lehman complain about the ride being too soft :shock:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just can't resist taking a poke at a lehman trike can you George ?? :joke::joke:

·
Registered
792 Posts
You didn't say how you tied down your trike. When I haul a car or pickup I don't pull down on the suspension wouldn't do it to a trike either, only thing I pull down the suspension is a is a two wheeler. I like to let the suspension work when being hauled. Now if this is what you do, then I would think that you are get a different ride. 5000 more miles of wear added that you did feel before. I also know that doesn't sound like a lot of miles, but if your trike is fairly new and low mileage, that could be your answer. I would look it over for any loose nuts and bolts, just to be on the safe side

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
You took it but didn't ride it on your trip? How many miles do you have on your Trike? It could be the fact that you drove over 5,000 miles in a vehicle pulling a trailer and now your feeling it as softer not because it is but your behind thinks it is. I just came off a 4,000 mile trip from Detroit to Murray KY., then on to McAllen TX. back up to Graham TX. & Dallas and over to St.Louis before getting back to Detroit.

When I drive that far and unhook our 24' trailers everything feels lighter and softer, even my F-150. If you don't hear or feel anything rub check your tire pressures and keep on a ridin'!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lonestar The trip took 5 weeks and we rode in Tex, Arizona and California for a total of 850 miles on the trike. The trike has 15000 miles on it and I pumped the air pressure up a little after we got home on both ends 32 lbs front and 22 lbs rear. I have been under it and can't find anything loose. I agree on riding that far in the truck a F 350 Ford Diesel with a slide in camper pulling a 7X14 ft enclosed trailer but we got home on Feb 21st so I have had some time to heal.

JR&JR I tied it down like You would with a 2 wheeler 2 straps pulling down and forwards on the front forks with the front wheel in a chock and 2 straps off the trailer hitch in the rear pulling down and back. I figured the suspension would not move as much that way even though the suspension was not completely compressed. Each time I tied it down after riding which was many times I tried to vary the amount of compression on the suspension so it wouldn't sit and wear in the same spot all the time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:shrug:
I have NEVER heard of any one with a Lehman complain about the ride being too soft :shock:

Bad George:eek:4:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a motorhome (RV) that I use to haul an AWD Subaru on a trailer. The trick I have found is to use the tie downs on the wheels only, so that there is no forward or back movement. This allows the body to float on the suspension that the trailer's suspension does not iron out.

Our roads are a bit more basic than most of the USA roads (been to 43 of the USA), so the suspension gets a good work out. The Subaru always works when I get there, but you have to try and get the centre of the weight organised so that there is an acceptable weight on the tow ball (about 50 Kg is good for this configuration).

I have been wondering about tying down a trike on the trailer, and would have thought that a similar approach that I use for the Subaru would be right. The tie downs I use are heavy duty, (rated at 2 000 Kg - about 2 tons), and nothing moves when put in place. I always check after about 50 miles as the initial shaking will find any looseness.

It is good to hear how the other half live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts