GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing Stu's article in Wing World brought some questions I had back to the surface.

From what I am seeing, many of the rear suspension pre-load modules are not pre-loading the rear spring until they are at 10 or above. That means that 40% or better of the pre-load adjustment does not exist. Even if you have the pre-load maxed out, you are at 60% of the designed pre-load range.

If you then run at or near max advertised load, you will be bottoming out the rear suspension on a regular basis. When you bottom out 1100+ pounds against the suspension cross member, that has to be a tremendous shock load that it's welds have to endure.

My question is: could this whole cracked frame issue be the direct result of a poorly designed and implemented rear suspension?

At the very least, I see this as a contributing factor to the various frame cracks that have occurred.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Hello a weld should NEVER fail!! period!!!!!!!! it is a poor design (do to mass construction ) & then they (honda) chinzt up there welding procedure walaa instant problems!!...chuck

G

·
The suspension system is a cheap design. I do not like the fact there is no adjustment for Rebound. $20,000 motorcycle, top of the line, and they dropped the ball on this part of it.
I have no complaints about any other part of the GoldWing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
jhl said:
My question is: could this whole cracked frame issue be the direct result of a poorly designed and implemented rear suspension?
Yes... the stock suspension is very soft and bottoms easily. Combine this with inferior welding of the frame joints, and one could easily see where the cracking may occur.

Traxxion or RaceTech is the way to go, or at the very least a progressive 1100 lb spring to firm things up.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
IMHO the GL1800 -- Honda's Flagship has marginal suspension.. front & rear....coupled with an anti-dive which causes premature front fork seal failure.. not a good synopsis for a $20k.... top of the line touring motorcycle...

cosmic

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,129 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
IMHO the GL1800 -- Honda's Flagship has marginal suspension.. front & rear....coupled with an anti-dive which causes premature front fork seal failure.. not a good synopsis for a $20k.... top of the line touring motorcycle...

cosmic
Yea, but to put things into perspective, Honda's 16-18K dollar top of the line touring motorcycle still has a better suspension than the other H brand's 33K dollar top of the line touring bike does...according to Cycle Worlds touring bike road test a few months ago :lol:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yes, a 20k motorcycle should have a better suspension, but it doesn't. At least there is a great fix available. I don't have to say what that is, do I?

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
I agree. Honda other bikes have fine suspensions.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Mine works just fine. :shock: :shock:

If you are not happy, there are several ways to remedy the problem other than complain about it.

later..Randy

·
Registered
394 Posts
If Honda stiffened up the suspension, then every one would be whining about how it rides like a lumberwagon. It's the soft, cushy ride that sells the bike. I have never seen a bike that ever had the right suspension out of the box. 40 million riders= 40 million different opinions on how the bike should ride.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Roadie said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
Yea, but to put things into perspective, Honda's 16-18K dollar top of the line touring motorcycle still has a better suspension than the other H brand's 33K dollar top of the line touring bike does...according to Cycle Worlds touring bike road test a few months ago :lol:
Thats your opinion

cosmic

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,129 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
Roadie said:
[quote="cosmic_chariot":2vaf7hq2]IMHO the GL1800 -- Honda's Flagship has marginal suspension.. front & rear....coupled with an anti-dive which causes premature front fork seal failure.. not a good synopsis for a $20k.... top of the line touring motorcycle...

cosmic
Thats your opinion

cosmic[/quote:2vaf7hq2]

No cosmic, that's Cycle World magazines opinion :)

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
You know that the problems with the bike must be getting fewer and fewer when people have to start rehashing old topics that aren't even an issue anymore.

Does anyone know of a frame that has cracked in the past couple of years? I could see the argument that the suspension is contributing to the frame cracking if it hadn't been resolved, but it has. That kind of answers the original question, doesn't it?

Putting a 300 lb rider and 200 lb co-rider on the bike along with 100 lbs of gear is far tougher on the frame than the pre-load problem. I don't often see anyone taking it upon themselves to solve that problem, so overall, owners are just as bad as Honda at ignoring the problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone know of a frame that has cracked in the past couple of years? I could see the argument that the suspension is contributing to the frame cracking if it hadn't been resolved, but it has.
Ok, I'll admit that it seems that the frames are no longer cracking. However, I've also seen many messages that indicate that the '05s and '06s don't seem to suffer as much from the under-filled rear preload. In other words, the newer wings seem to be preloading almost as soon as you adjust the preload off of zero.

So, did they fix the frame cracking by improving the welds? Or did the fix the frame cracking by preventing the rear suspension from bottoming out as much? Or, did they do a little of both.

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
jhl said:
So, did they fix the frame cracking by improving the welds?
They "fixed" the frame welds by not skipping one of the weld procedures. No problem with the 01's that I've seen and most of the 02's. They cheaped out and skipped one of the steps in the welds that screwed the pooch!

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
jhl, if you really stop and think about the way the force is exerted when the bike bottoms out, if that were a contributing factor, the frames would have been cracking on the top of the swingarm, not the bottom. The weight of the bike and rider and also the forces pushing down when the suspension compresses focus the stress on the bottom of the weld. When the suspension bottoms out, it is pushing up. Break a pencil by pushing down and see which side cracks first. Then break one by pushing up.

Take a close look at the welds that guys like Fred Harmon and others have posted. The welds don't go into the metal. It is the equivelant of a cold solder joint.

The bulk of the complaining about the rear suspension did not surface until 1 or 2 years ago, even though Fred noticed the problem with some bikes earlier than that. I checked mine when the reports first surfaced, and mine was fine. It is only now, after 3 years and 40,000 miles that it does not move until I get to 10.

Keep in mind also that a lot of the bottoming out problems are not being caused by the pre-load. OEM shocks and springs don't last more than a few years. If people would just replace their shocks and springs they would notice a significant improvement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you can find a better bike,why don't you all winers just sell yours and go buy it? Love my GW best bike I ever put my ass on!

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I don't think he was whining. He just had a theory about the problem and wanted to know what members thought. That is what this board is for, isn't it?

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
cosmic u sure do a lot of complaining but for some reason u keep buying Hondas, whats up with that ? yes i know u love your Harley :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts