GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 Airbag which was bought new in June 2010 (only 4 mile on the odometer) for $20K. We are very happy with it and it currently has over 11K miles. We think it rides pretty well at the moment. Yes it is a little annoying to make a turn below 30 MPH (handlebars flopping around just a tiny bit) but otherwise we think it is perhaps the best suspension of any motorcycle we have owned.

As time goes on we are sure things will get loose so we wonder what is available out there. I read that Traxxion does not make a fork brace for the Airbag model, but I think someone does; who is it? I was thinking about limiting future upgrades to maybe the All Balls steering roller bearings and maybe a fork brace. We really don't want to spend a four digit price tag either so the Traxxion Full Monty is out of the question.

For the record we are pretty conservative riders. From what I have read on the forum many/most of you probably ride faster. Most of of our serious miles (i.e. how many state lines in a day) we ride two up with a great deal of gear.

What steering and suspension options have you Airbag owners chosen?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
airbag suspension

Good question.
Why not pose your question directly to the boss at Traxxion. This is a link to him. He is a straight shooter and if he can't help you he can probably send you to someone who can. You might also mention that over time there will more and more bikes with airbags and it might be time to develop something for that bike.
Here is his contact.
Max McAllister
Seasoned Member

ALSO, you might want to post your question on the tech board. A lot of very smart, very helpful rocket scientists over there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I bought a Superbrace airbag model and mounted it on my 2012. Seemed to fix a minor wobble at slow speeds...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As time goes on we are sure things will get loose so we wonder what is available out there. I read that Traxxion does not make a fork brace for the Airbag model, but I think someone does; who is it? I was thinking about limiting future upgrades to maybe the All Balls steering roller bearings and maybe a fork brace. We really don't want to spend a four digit price tag either so the Traxxion Full Monty is out of the question.
I have a 08 air bag model and Traxxion put their brace on mine, If I were you I'd call and talk to Mike, to make sure they are still offering it...

Don't believe all the negative that you hear on this board about Traxxion, their good people down there...

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can put a Traxxion brace on an airbag model. You have to grind off
a small piece of metal on each fork, which you can do without. When I
sent in my forks to Traxxion for upgrade, they ground off the unneeded bracket bolt
hole for me. I don't think they charged for doing that. It is something
you can also do yourself.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
The airbag fork legs have an extra bracket/boss to hold a wiring bracket. You can either grind down the bracket on each fork leg (the wiring bracket isn't needed as you can easily secure the wires without it) OR you can modify the forkbrace to fit around the bracket/boss on the fork legs.

Doing one of the above options allows you to use either the Kury or Traxxion braces.

We have a 2008 Airbag which was bought new in June 2010 (only 4 mile on the odometer) for $20K. We are very happy with it and it currently has over 11K miles. We think it rides pretty well at the moment. Yes it is a little annoying to make a turn below 30 MPH (handlebars flopping around just a tiny bit) but otherwise we think it is perhaps the best suspension of any motorcycle we have owned.

For the record we are pretty conservative riders. From what I have read on the forum many/most of you probably ride faster. Most of of our serious miles (i.e. how many state lines in a day) we ride two up with a great deal of gear.

What steering and suspension options have you Airbag owners chosen?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Kuryakyn makes a fork brace for the airbag model? Do you have a model number? The only brace on their website is for all GL1800 Wings Except Airbags.
I bought the Kuryakyn fork brace for the airbag model and it was a piece of cake to install.

·
Registered
19,255 Posts
Traxxion has a cure for the wobbles

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts