GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a new GL owner and bought a used 2006. Im thinking the front springs are bad; so I’m looking at Progressive spring replacements. My question is: before I buy new springs I want to be sure the previous unknown owner hasn’t already done this. How can I tell when I pull out the springs if they are factory or Progressive?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There are numerous aftermarket springs but the quickest way is that most of them have in common that the winding is tighter on one end. OEM springs will have the same winding all the way down. Here is an example of Progressive winding on top and OEM on the bottom:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I’m a new GL owner and bought a used 2006. Im thinking the front springs are bad; so I’m looking at Progressive spring replacements. My question is: before I buy new springs I want to be sure the previous unknown owner hasn’t already done this. How can I tell when I pull out the springs if they are factory or Progressive?
Your front springs may not be bad. The front suspension on pre 2018 wings is notoriously soft and squishy. I too own a 2006 that I purchased in 2016. I an a big guy and I found it not to my liking. I bit the bullet and did a Mega Monty upgrade by Traxxion. Mono tubes in front, new heavier spring in back, fork brace and solid triple tree. It made all the difference in the world on handling. It was pricey but well worth the $3000, IMHO. Some people do their own maintenance and you could get the price down considerably if that were to be the case.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Response

Thanks pwhoever for your helpful answer. The pictures spoke volumes and now when I pull them I can make an educated decision to go with new springs or the full replacement as suggested in the other post.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Regardless of what is in the forks now, your best bet is to install a set of Progressive Monotubes. Much better than the stock suspension, even with just Progressive springs. I tried installing just new springs in mine, but was not very happy with the overall performance. So I then installed the Monotubes. I wish I had done that first. I've now had them in for more than 50K miles and still happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased progressive suspension gas inserts w springs. This took out the low speed wobble and improved
handling. self installed winter project about 400 with seals. We tested them on a 6000 mile road trip
to sturgis, yellowstone, and pikes peak pulling Bushtec trailers. Thumbs up!!.
Traxxion is a little pricey .. Alum. a/m tripple tree about 500 with all balls head bearings about another 600....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I don't know what style OEM a 2006 has but my 2012 had progressive wound OEM.
It now has Progressive brand springs.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The 2006 OEM springs installed at the factory are progressive rate springs - one end is more tightly wound than the other. The service manual makes this clear in photographs.

If an aftermarket brand of spring of progressive rate was installed at some point however the way to know it still OEM or not is to measure the spring length. The OEM spring minimum length is 328.6 mm or 12.9" long.

Honda OEM springs are usually very long-lived. I've measured springs up to 175,000 miles old that were still within spec length. It's a testament to metallurgy not weight carried because Honda specs top-notch springs that last. My 2006 at 72,000 miles had springs still in spec.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well looks like I stand corrected. It has been awhile since I've done work on the forks and I was going by what I recalled. But looking at the service manual pics by dduelin, even though the OEM does show a progressive winding, the Progressive Springs appear to have a more dramatic Progressive winding on the end. I hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Question, can one just put heaver fork oil in to replace OE weight to get a firmer ride?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts