GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Vendor
16,045 Posts
Unexplainable, particularly the part about extending to spec after sitting 30 minutes. Maybe they are ED springs, good one time as good as they every were.
The add'l spacer deforms them. The same was true in the 70's in high school when everyone would put those "twist nut spacers" in their rear coils springs to jack up the back end of their cars. As soon as they put coil spacers in, their rear coils springs began to deform.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't forget the tire aspect of your suspension. I personally think it makes a huge difference what tire you run.
I just bought an 08 Wing with Metzler tires on it. The guy was a previous Harley owner and loved his Metzler tires. I always ran Bridgestones on my other Gl1800s and think they are a much better handling tire.
Unfortunatly the Metzler tires on my bike are nearly new and I am too cheap to take them off and buy the Bridgestones. I guess I need to get out riding and wear these things out!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Now my springs always measured in spec. Heck I just serviced my daughters 85 rebel and they measured good too. But it dove faster than someone with lead shoes on. My Goldwings after about two years started diving under heavy or sudden braking coming into a corner or just scrubbing off speed suddenly on a straight road. Put in aftermarket springs and problems are solved. My 84 wing has two air shocks on the back. In the 90's it felt like it had a hinge in the middle of the frame while going around corners. I put progressive air shocks on the back and what a difference! In sweepers going to work I maxed out at 60. After the swap I felt I was going to fall over and I give it gas and am doing 65 comfortably and still does to this day. My 91 dove terribly and I put progressive springs in it. I no longer was scraping my lower cowling. After 8 or 10 years I rebuilt the stock air shock and put progressive's shock on the other side. Wow, again what a difference. 65 to 75 around the corners going to work where 65 was pushing it before. Haven't changed the 2012 1800 because it was totaled 3 years into it but was planning on it. Bought a 2015 with 1900 miles on it last spring. 65 around the corners going to work. The thing scrapes. I'm tall and 270# wife is 180# while touring last fall we were bottoming out. Wife told me to fix that problem. Traxxion is going to be going on in a year or so. Goldwings are expensive and most riders go in a straight line and don't carve corners or want to carve corners. So Honda has to save money where they can so I believe suspension is one area that they do. All depends upon how you ride...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Change the bushings, oil and Traxxion springs for the front forks 1.20 are the most popular I did it on my 08 and my buddy on his 15 rides great and gained some ground clearance I also upgraded the rear with a 2017 0 miles trike take off...

·
Registered
523 Posts
The add'l spacer deforms them. The same was true in the 70's in high school when everyone would put those "twist nut spacers" in their rear coils springs to jack up the back end of their cars. As soon as they put coil spacers in, their rear coils springs began to deform.
Doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Spacers in MC and GW forks are a different animal than "twist nut spacers" inserted into and between the coils. They take the form of longer than stock spring collars or adjustable fork caps. Both types add preload to the spring in the fork tube and do not deform the coils. A bent or deformed coil isn't going to magically heal itself and grow back to spec length. Pesky thing those physics and metallurgy. Once released from precompression or preload an undamaged spring extends to relaxed length and that is the service limit spec. Take a video of these springs that relax after 30 minutes.

·
Vendor
16,045 Posts
Doesn't make sense, at least to me.

Spacers in MC and GW forks are a different animal than "twist nut spacers" inserted into and between the coils. They take the form of longer than stock spring collars or adjustable fork caps. Both types add preload to the spring in the fork tube and do not deform the coils. A bent or deformed coil isn't going to magically heal itself and grow back to spec length. Pesky thing those physics and metallurgy. Once released from precompression or preload an undamaged spring extends to relaxed length and that is the service limit spec. Take a video of these springs that relax after 30 minutes.
Maybe a better word for these springs is deformed, and I would not think they "self heal." In the case of an OEM spring coming out of a 5th gen fork that had an add'l spacer stack on top or it, it still has stored energy, it still wants to spring back, not quickly, because it's no longer the same. The spring is damaged, and it is why it will not spring back to Honda's sack point. At an atomic level, probably some of the bonds are broke while some are still healthy. The health ones having energy might still be able to self correct, while the broken ones now resist.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Lots of good information offered. I agree that new springs(correct rate) and an oil/ old bushing replacement will work wonders on an worn suspension. At 55,000 miles this suspension is past due. For service, much of the work is easy to do if you have basic skills. Understand that springs are rated for rider/machine weights. I have .95 springs in my fork on a 2001 Wing, stock were .70 far too soft for me at 170lbs. The rear shock is too soft as well. Just replacing springs and servicing the suspension is enough for probably 80% of riders. Get rid of the anti dive device ASAP. Again, easily done. Good luck, you came to the right place for advice. But you know what they say about that! Ha Ha!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts