GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., here's the deal. I haven't ridden with the lady friend in a while. She rode down to Tennesee with me some time back on the FJR. Sure, she may have been a little "lighter" then (keep that between us), but no sweat.

Came home from work yesterday and asked her if she wanted to go for a ride on the wing. I hated it. Every bit of it. The bike felt very unsettled. I can ride the wing slow and tight solo, but even coming to simple traffic light stops sucked. I hated the experience. I was acutely aware that she was on the back.

I know that this is ridiculous. The wing is known for two up riding. That's sort of why I got it (still kept the FJR, though). Is this a suspension setting problem?

I weigh in about 168. I guessing her...to be..156 OR SO (she'd kill me for this). Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try to set the suspension for? The Bike is an 07.

Thanks for any help you might offer.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I really dont think it is the suspension. I think the wing really should handle her a lot better than the FJR because it is heavier...unless you get off balance. I am really experienced riding with my wife as a passenger, we have logged many, many thousands of miles together, but there are some days that no matter what I do, the bike and me do not feel as one..if she is on the bike or not. Stops are not smooth, balance is not great, its like my timing or something is off. This doesnt happen often maybe only 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes I work through it and sometimes I just go home (unless Im traveling). Now.. I do weigh a heck of a lot more than you, but I dont think that should be much of an issue if you are staying balanced on the bike. Thats my experience anyway. Take her out on another day and give it a try, things could be much better.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Perhaps you can start with the sticking in the Anti Dive system.

I weigh 195-200 and my wife weighs 135-140 (these are "bathroom" weights rather than ATGATT weights). I have the rear preload set pretty high and I don't bother changing it just because my wife got off. The result is a smoother ride with my wife on the back. Our suspension is still stock (and we are pretty happy with it that way).

My other question would be what she is doing on the back, especially at stops or at low speed. When my wife does anything (reach for something, turn around, etc.) at slow speeds or at a red light I'm very aware she is there, otherwise I don't notice.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
A passenger on the Wing(as well as any other bike) changes things for sure. I usually ride at 15-18 rear setting with my co rider and 8-10 solo. I did have the front suspension upgraded to traxxion springs and disabled the AD. It made a big difference in handling.

IMO it's just a matter of getting use to having a passenger aboard. Put 150 lbs on the back seat(my GF weighs 145 and I tip in at 205) does change the handling characteristics IMO.

Fred

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The 1800 Wing handles better than any previous Wing with a passenger on board. If you have the suspension set right, it may be just a matter of you getting used to the extra weight.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
Normally I ride as much as I can even in the winter months. When it finally turns warm enough for the wife to ride it takes a few trips to readjust. Get her out and ride more.. You will become accustomed to it and not have a problem.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
with that weight and stock oem suspenders my guess would be 16

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wife and I are about 160 ea. with stock springs. I run at 15 all the time. (I ride harder with her off the bike) Running the same roads and speeds with or without her the bike handles about the same.

The trick is (slowly and carefully) teaching her how to ride as a passenger.

Sit up, tip only her head in a corner and do not move just before a stop. (this one she still slips up on after 25 years of riding. So I just over correct the bike wiggle and say "what are you doing back there):twisted:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Tips for Being a Batter Passenger and Chauffer

My wife is a great passenger. She sits still when I am stopping, starting or really leaning. A joy. My son is a wiggle worm. His head--heck, his whole body--is on a costant swivel. More than once, he has about knocked the bike over WHEN WE WERE ALREADY STOPPED. No sense of connection with me, the bike or the road.

Maybe you need to plainly tell your SO that she needs to be REALLY still when you are stopping or starting, and that keeping at least one hand on your hip or shoulder will help her enjoy the ride more.

My other tip is for you: weight is irrelevant. Once the bike rolls that first inch, the engine, not you, is responsible for keeping everything upright. YOUR job is to keep feeding a constant and cosistent throttle to that rear tire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I always find when stability changes the first place I look is tire pressure. Even 2 or 3 lbs makes a noticable difference in handling especially coming to a controlled stop with a passenger.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Both my wife and I are heavier than you guys. I increase the pre load to hi. But the real trick as a lot have said is to get use to it and train your GF to sit still at low speeds

·
Registered
825 Posts
On my Ultra when I rode 2 up with my then gf she was right up against me. I almost bought a trunk extension to move it back for more room. I could feel the slightest movement. In a turn it was very obvious if she didn't lean properly. When we rode the wing, not only were we not touching, I couldn't tell she was back there at all for the most part. I kinda missed the touching part sometimes :joke:.

·
Registered
246 Posts
When we rode the wing, not only were we not touching, I couldn't tell she was back there at all for the most part. I kinda missed the touching part sometimes :joke:.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I hear you. No cushions to lean on.;)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
First thing you need to do is to see where your preload starts. Mine used to start at 7, so nothing was going on until then. I used to set it at 12-15 for one, 20 for two and 23-25 for two and the trailer. We're about 350lbs together. I had the preload adjuster rebuilt with a stainless steel line and installed HyperPro springs in the forks and on the rear shock. Now the preload starts before zero. I run it at 5 one up, 8 two up and 10-12 with two and the trailer. Made a big difference in the ride and handling also.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Wife and I do rides of several thousand miles at a time - and we pull a tent trailer. Much of the time I don't even know she is back there, wife that is. Wing is great no matter what the rear setting is.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the full Traxxion system installed along with a stiffer spring on the rear shock on both Wings. Bathroom weights of 225 for me and 140 ish for the wife and the trailer have me set the preload around 16. We ride with Motoport kevlar riding gear (jacket and pants) and full face helmets. By myself, I set the preload for 4.

G

·
I know what you're saying. I'm 190 and my wife is somewhere around 150 (guessing). For solo I set it at 10 and with her on riding with me I set it on 15. The bike does fine, it's just me with my 29" inseam at stops that makes it a bit ungainly. As has been said, once the bike is moving there's little problem with the extra weight. She's experienced on the FJR I had so she doesn't move at slow speeds. Taking more rides with her along has helped me get used to it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Have to agree with some of the others on here..Has nothing to do with suspension..I have had days just like yours...Sometimes I never know she is back there and then there are days I can smooth out my stops to save my butt...I think everyone has a day like this once in awhile...The wing being tall and top heavy and the passenger seat being way to high just makes it all a little worst than most bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts