GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., here's the deal. I haven't ridden with the lady friend in a while. She rode down to Tennesee with me some time back on the FJR. Sure, she may have been a little "lighter" then (keep that between us), but no sweat.

Came home from work yesterday and asked her if she wanted to go for a ride on the wing. I hated it. Every bit of it. The bike felt very unsettled. I can ride the wing slow and tight solo, but even coming to simple traffic light stops sucked. I hated the experience. I was acutely aware that she was on the back.

I know that this is ridiculous. The wing is known for two up riding. That's sort of why I got it (still kept the FJR, though). Is this a suspension setting problem?

I weigh in about 168. I guessing her...to be..156 OR SO (she'd kill me for this). Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should try to set the suspension for? The Bike is an 07.

Thanks for any help you might offer.
2006 Yamaha FJR1300 ABS-current
2007 Goldwing ABS-current

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
What yo are saying sounds more like your problem than the bike. Not being too critical, but you did say it had been a while and if you haven't had any 2 up time on the particular machine, it could be you.
A guy named Tom Finch has suggested that 2 up be done at preload 25. We started there and settled in at 23, but I have rebuilt the preloader. It takes about an hour to do and is simple, if it is needed. I am also pesuming the bike is in proper working order here.

Give yourself and your lady a little more saddle time and experiment some. We didn't learn to ride in a few hours, neither do the pillions, so give it a chance and don't beat yourself up over it.

Cheers

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Lots of push-ups
Don't tell her I said that:eek:4:
Seriously, does she know how to be a passenger?
Is she moving around causing this feeling?
I'm 230 and my wife is 2XX and posed no problem when I was still 2-wheeled.

·
Vendor
17,397 Posts
I'd cut her off until her weight is lighter. But that's me ... I like the ones with size ones undies with most of the weight carried just below her arm pits.

In the mean time, set it to at least 15 or higher and tell her that because she is so heavy too sit still.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
What you described sound like more about what she doing back there then suspension.

Tell her not to be moving around back there especially when you're coming to a stop.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd cut her off until her weight is lighter. But that's me ... I like the ones with size ones undies with most of the weight carried just below her arm pits.

In the mean time, set it to at least 15 or higher and tell her that because she is so heavy too sit still.
8 am and I just read this and started laughing when my wife walked in . Whats so funny dear? Ah nothing :eek:4: And yes when she is on its a whole new ballgame; just something to get used too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Mine is set for 20 when 2 up. Most of the time, I don't know I have a passenger back there but yesterday, I thought I was having a flat on the rear only to find out my wife decided to remove her jacket while riding............on a twisty road! :eek:4:

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I would try running full preload on the rear shock when riding two up...especally with the stock suspension. I run 25 with a Traxxion rear shock when riding two up. The bike doesn't ride any harsher and in fact feels plush over the road bumps and the handling feels more like riding solo.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You need to check the pre-load. Put the bike on the centerstand and set the pre-load to zero. Then listen closely as you run it up. The sound of the motor will change when it actually starts applying the pressure to the spring. It should start right at zero. When I did this on my 2009 with only 12K miles, the pre-load didn't start till 6. I did the 1 hour procedure to fix it and now the pre-load starts right at zero. I did this for my Pastor's bike because he was having handling issues. Now his is proper and his ride is back to what he is used to (he is over 6 ft ans his wife is tall also, nether overweight but I suspect combined of 350?).

·
Registered
581 Posts
You need to check the pre-load. Put the bike on the centerstand and set the pre-load to zero. Then listen closely as you run it up. The sound of the motor will change when it actually starts applying the pressure to the spring. It should start right at zero. When I did this on my 2009 with only 12K miles, the pre-load didn't start till 6. I did the 1 hour procedure to fix it and now the pre-load starts right at zero. I did this for my Pastor's bike because he was having handling issues. Now his is proper and his ride is back to what he is used to (he is over 6 ft ans his wife is tall also, nether overweight but I suspect combined of 350?).
SGM hit the nail right on the head!! You can't even begin to judge your handling until you know the preload is working correctly. I always used to ride 2 up at 18, with a full load also. The bike handled terribly on one trip we took. I checked the preload and it wasn't loading up until 11 !!! Refurbed the preload and also ugraded the spring and the difference was night and day. At 18 fully loaded and 2 up I got no issues!! That being said, no bike will handle the same loaded and 2 up as well, but it shouldn't be so bad you that you feel unstable...:22yikes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts