GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing Hyperpro springs and All Balls bearings next week. How many lbs of torque suggested on the All Balls bearings?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Stand by for so many diverse answers that you will have less of an idea than you do now. When I installed the All Balls in my bike I followed the procedure in the Honda manual using a spring scale to measure the pull required to turn the forks. I recorded the pull required versus the torque on the bearings. My final result was 22 ft. lbs. (or lbs. ft. if you like the international dept. of standards recommendation). I made a table of torque versus pull force and posted it but the search mechanism does not seem to search for posts before 2009. I did not really try hard to find it. I fully expect to be flamed by those who chose a different value including the super torquers that use a value that will darn near lock up the forks. Damn right it cured that pesky wobble! And as long as I am going to be flamed I will add that I think installing tapered bearings is a waste of time and money. That should really start a fire.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Stand by for so many diverse answers that you will have less of an idea than you do now. When I installed the All Balls in my bike I followed the procedure in the Honda manual using a spring scale to measure the pull required to turn the forks. I recorded the pull required versus the torque on the bearings. My final result was 22 ft. lbs. (or lbs. ft. if you like the international dept. of standards recommendation). I made a table of torque versus pull force and posted it but the search mechanism does not seem to search for posts before 2009. I did not really try hard to find it. I fully expect to be flamed by those who chose a different value including the super torquers that use a value that will darn near lock up the forks. Damn right it cured that pesky wobble! And as long as I am going to be flamed I will add that I think installing tapered bearings is a waste of time and money. That should really start a fire.
Hmmmm... No other responses yet! My theory is that most of the trolls are GWRRA members and are off to WingDing? Or maybe people are out riding for a change. Either way, I like it!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used 24lbs after overtightening and loosening twice fronts forks turn smooth and no decel wobble

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
suspension upgrade

Being that I will be doing my 105th set of AllBalls this Friday, I submit that 30 ft lbs is the torque. Anything less might work for a little while. Honda had same bearings in GL1500 and used fish scale/lower torque value and had you back in for retorquing and some $$$'s. And contrary to some, tapered bearings do work!!
Buckskin
QUOTE=GreggT83;3363892]Installing Hyperpro springs and All Balls bearings next week. How many lbs of torque suggested on the All Balls bearings?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had the All-Balls installed and the installer initially set them to 30. The bike wandered and would not hold a line. I had them reset to 23 which appears to be just right. No decel wobble and bike is rock solid.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Installing Hyperpro springs and All Balls bearings next week. How many lbs of torque suggested on the All Balls bearings?
Pay close attention to what Jack D. said. He has given you the very best advice you are going to get on this topic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All Balls Bearings

I really appreciate everyone's responses to amount of torque to apply to the all balls bearings, as I wasn't sure what it should be.

Why is there so much variation and how do you determine what is correct when your installing them?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I use 22-24 lbs when I install them and have never had to re-torque them.

Me too.. never a re-torque, and no wobbles. 22-24 seems t be a valid number. I had a customer who did his own, and he over-tightened them. The bike felt very stiff coming off center, like trying to move over a couple of feet in your lane to avoid a bump / hole /object.

Loosened them up a tad and it was fine. No offense, Buck, but my experience tells me that 30 is a bit towards the high end of the tolerable range.

=Dave=
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
310 Posts
I hated riding my bike when I first got it. It would not hold a line and I couldn't hold it steady. I went through several times of taking it apart and re torquing to only find out it was still too tight. The final round I used the spring scale, which on my bike, was equal to about 15 - 16 foot lbs. The real kicker is putting the second or lock nut on. Make sure when you tighten it that you do not add torque to the first nut. It is so easy to overtighten the lock nut. I am very happy with my bike now and it steers and handles just like I like it. You will know if it is too loose or too tight....The handling will suck either way. Good luck.

Randall

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Astute,
I have done 104 installation of this bearing over 6 years. Anybody else done maybe more than 10-12?? If that?
Mine was the first one and to this day I have never re-torqued the bearings.
As for following Jack D's advice, he implys that changing out the bearing is not necessary.
I have pictures of bike from way back that had adjustable steering stem knobs that allowed one to adjust on the fly. I have too many that have done this that swear by the upgrade.
Buckskin

Pay close attention to what Jack D. said. He has given you the very best advice you are going to get on this topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Astute,
I have done 104 installation of this bearing over 6 years. Anybody else done maybe more than 10-12??
104??? What do you do for a living???? I can't even imagine a busy dealership presenting that many opportunities to swap stem bearings in that time period

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was Buckskins 101st at having my suspension done. He knows what he is talking about. Ive had numerous guys ride mine since the upgrade and cant believe the handling,it is that good. Im glad FOR ME I didnt spend thousands of dollars to get the handling and ride I have from mine right now for a fraction of the cost.Again,Thank You Buckskin and for the Centramatics..even with my chrome wheels not one person has noticed them on my bike yet infact I have to point them out to them. Tom

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I did this to my own bike now that I think about it in '03/'04 and never planned on doing anymore. Guys heard about it here locally and came running. I have done guys in Canada/Illinois/Florida/Texas/Louisiana, and who knows where else. I live in Houston, Texas. If they are traveling cross country, they take a 4/5 hour detour and come see me. One I'm doing on Friday is from W. Virginia. Front end work/exchange chrome wheels/Progressive springs/Centramatics. He will ride out on a different bike! Do a search on me and see comments of guys that have recently had it done.
As I said, most dealerships have not done that many, much less one mechanic getting a shot at all those. Have had at least 6/8 Honda dealerships call me over the years where some guy was in their shop complaining about the shake and he told them about me and they call and I tell them what I do and thats my story.
Buckskin

104??? What do you do for a living???? I can't even imagine a busy dealership presenting that many opportunities to swap stem bearings in that time period

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Being that I will be doing my 105th set of AllBalls this Friday, I submit that 30 ft lbs is the torque. Anything less might work for a little while. Honda had same bearings in GL1500 and used fish scale/lower torque value and had you back in for retorquing and some $$$'s. And contrary to some, tapered bearings do work!!
Buckskin
At 30lbs, I bet they do.;)

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I tried setting the torque with the All Balls at 30 ftlbs like was recommended on this forum at the time and for my bike that was too tight. At 30 ft lbs my bike would wander at speed and in sweeping corners it was hard to hold the bike in it's line without constant steering corrections. I didn't like the steering feel at all, so I re adjusted the steering bearing to 25 ft lbs and that made things better but still the steering just didn't feel right and the bike would still wander a bit at speed. I re adjusted the All Ball steering bearings again to 20 ft lbs and what a difference that made in steering feel....much lighter and quicker, just the sorta of feel Honda was going for with the OEM ball bearings, but without the decel wobble.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I was Buckskins 101st at having my suspension done. He knows what he is talking about. Ive had numerous guys ride mine since the upgrade and cant believe the handling,it is that good. Im glad FOR ME I didnt spend thousands of dollars to get the handling and ride I have from mine right now for a fraction of the cost.Again,Thank You Buckskin and for the Centramatics..even with my chrome wheels not one person has noticed them on my bike yet infact I have to point them out to them. Tom
Tom, I think mine was Buckskin's 76th front end job and I could'nt agree more with you about the result's. Mine was done about 3 years ago now and I can't ask for a better ride.

As far as im concerned the way Buck does it is the right way. To me the proof is in the pudding.
Kurt :thumbup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All Balls

Thanks for the input everyone, though I admit I'm not really sure how much to torque them with the varying values.

I guess somewhere between 25 and 30?

This forum is great and I do appreciate the responses!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts